The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

5 hours ago, BCNate said:

Why are we talking about Boeser at 8 million?  That is not how Qualifying offers work.

Boeser's minimum qualifying offer after his current contract expires is 7.5 million. Although his cap hit is 5.875 they way his contract is structured his actual salary in his last year is 7.5 million and that is the number he must be qualified at.

10 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Boeser's minimum qualifying offer after his current contract expires is 7.5 million. Although his cap hit is 5.875 they way his contract is structured his actual salary in his last year is 7.5 million and that is the number he must be qualified at.

That in no way means his next long term deal is at 7.5 million.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Could Benning do something really bold by trading the 1st for a player to help them now?

I agree with the window, Pettersson, Boeser, Hughes, Rathbone, Juolevi, Hoglander, Demko and soon Podkolzin, they might want to get rolling sooner rather than later. Of course, bringing in a top 6 forward or top 4 D costs money, which they don't seem to have. 

If we had the 1st overall...I'd consider dangling it to Buffallo for Reinhadrt and their 1st.

Hell I'd even try asking for Dahlin and next years first

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BCNate said:

That in no way means his next long term deal is at 7.5 million.

No it doesn't. He could absolutely choose to sign a contract for less money before free agency starts but that is the amount the Canucks have to qualify him at if they can't come to an agreement to before the opening of free agency. If he doesn't sign a contract and doesn't get a qualifying offer at that number he becomes a UFA. If he doesn't sign a contract and is offered a qualifying offer but rejects it he becomes a RFA and can negotiate an offer sheet from another team or go to salary arbitration. Or he could choose to not sign a contract but accept a one year qualifying offer at the 7.5. Those are all the options but the 7.5 million is the big number that has to be worked around

1 minute ago, 204CanucksFan said:

No it doesn't. He could absolutely choose to sign a contract for less money before free agency starts but that is the amount the Canucks have to qualify him at if they can't come to an agreement to before the opening of free agency. If he doesn't sign a contract and doesn't get a qualifying offer at that number he becomes a UFA. If he doesn't sign a contract and is offered a qualifying offer but rejects it he becomes a RFA and can negotiate an offer sheet from another team or go to salary arbitration. Or he could choose to not sign a contract but accept a one year qualifying offer at the 7.5. Those are all the options but the 7.5 million is the big number that has to be worked around

I fully understand how it all works.  Most likely outcome is he signs market value long term for a 30 goal 70 point winger and the QO is moot point.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I fully understand how it all works.  Most likely outcome is he signs market value long term for a 30 goal 70 point winger and the QO is moot point.

You mean like same age, similar stats and similar player type like from someone like Kyle Connor who is signed at 7.5?

9 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

It will be very interesting to see the next rankings

they say one tounament should not change a ranking

But I would bet McTavish and Ceulemens will have climbed some.

Agreed. It's going to be a very interesting draft this year, between Covid limiting a lot of players ice time and the fact that there doesn't appear to be any top tier, exceptional talent but there is probably 10-15 high end players with similar career projections.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, 204CanucksFan said:

You mean like same age, similar stats and similar player type like from someone like Kyle Connor who is signed at 7.5?

Who knows what the market will be at that stage.  It very well may be 7.5 long term, but that would be more reflective of the market and comparables than anything to do with the QO.

51 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Love if we could get two of Clarke, Morrow, Ceulemons.  

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Love if we could get two of Clarke, Morrow, Ceulemons.  

I am pretty sure they are all in the first round Alf........maybe Morrow falls to the 2nd

So, Ceulemans and one of Morrow, Schmidt, Mailloux is possible

I would not mind Benning moving up to get Morrow as a late first

Ceulmans and Morrow would be nice to walk away with

• Like 1

7 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Haven’t really gotten to watch Edvinsson. What’s his playing style? How close is his play to Philip Borberg another big kid from Sweden in their draft years?

Edvinsson in my opinion has a great motor. I see a very big raw kid who plays his heart out. For his size it's impressive how he contorts his body on skates to move in all directions. He skates incredibly well and plays aggressively. He has great all round tools offensively and defensively.  

I feel he is a bit of a project. He is physically ready for the SHL but will need seasoning. He has a tendency to over play and as a result create costly low% plays.

With maturity I expect he will more likely than not rise to the cream of this draft but the risk involved doesn't have him in my top 5.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Edvinsson in my opinion has a great motor. I see a very big raw kid who plays his heart out. For his size it's impressive how he contorts his body on skates to move in all directions. He skates incredibly well and plays aggressively. He has great all round tools offensively and defensively.  

I feel he is a bit of a project. He is physically ready for the SHL but will need seasoning. He has a tendency to over play and as a result create costly low% plays.

With maturity I expect he will more likely than not rise to the cream of this draft but the risk involved doesn't have him in my top 5.

He's the guy I'm putting my money on early for the Nucks to draft.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

He's the guy I'm putting my money on early for the Nucks to draft.

I can see a lot of reasons to love the pick. For me it will depend on who is available. Clarke, Beniers, Luke, Eklund, Lysell are IMO must draft players if they are available. Edvinsson would be next for me but a tier down as I'm just not as confident on him reaching his full potential.

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Will the Canucks take the most NHL-ready player they can get at the Draft? Or will they want to wait 2-3 years while some kid develops in Europe, or the USNDT, etc?   

There is no hands-down #1 prospect, or even a Top 3. The Top 10 could be juggled every which way. Who really is the BPA? Someone mentioned trading down, and that's not a bad idea. Takes kahunas though, so I'm not sure Benning does that. He'll be trying to save his job with a Top 5 or 10 shiny asset. 

I believe Clarke and Eklund are (or have) already played against men. Are there more prospects playing against men?

Well, this is not a good way of thinking about potential. It is not random. There is a best prospect, we just don't know who it is. Different people have different opinions. Some will be right and some will be wrong. Some assessments are more valuable than others.

Sorry, I didn't mean to get philosophical.

Eklund has played and excelled in the third best hockey league in the world, but I'm not sure he's physically ready for the NHL. Power will likely be in the NHL next year. Pretty good chance for Beniers and Clarke.

11 minutes ago, hammertime said:

I can see a lot of reasons to love the pick. For me it will depend on who is available. Clarke, Beniers, Luke, Eklund, Lysell are IMO must draft players if they are available. Edvinsson would be next for me but a tier down as I'm just not as confident on him reaching his full potential.

The fact that he's #2 on Bobby Mac's consensus rankings list should say a lot I think... A guy with that size, skills and tools makes for a pretty promising prospect. Sounds like he has a really good motor too.

My guess is that we'll be picking from 7th to 9th. I think he would make a solid pick there.

Edited by Herberts Vasiljevs

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

So many drafts I see have the nucks picking Lucius...

Sell me on him

Crafty sniper. One of the better goal scorers in the draft. Minnesota kid like Brock. RH shot too. Good hands and vision. Engages in puck battles and tends to win them. Smart player. Wicked wrist shot. Can score from anywhere. 

Needs to improve his speed skating-wise but he’s agile. He just isn’t an explosive skater.  He had an injury that may have set his skating back a bit. 

I’ve seen comparisons to a more of a goal scoring Stepan/Lindholm. 

I would prefer Guenther if we want a offensive forward. He’s more on an explosive goal scorer with breakaway speed and size to boot.  Skilled passer too and isn’t a slouch in his own zone for an offensive player. RH shot that can play either wing. I have him ranked higher than Lucius. Guenther needs to fill out his 6’1 frame a bit. He’s around 180lbs. 

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Interesting point. But it says more about how well the scouting services know the players. NHL teams' lists won't change much - their scouts already know the players well. Media/fan scouts who hadn't seen the players enough will likely change. Take myself for instance, I like to think I have a pretty good eye, but it takes me many viewings to see what NHL scouts could tell you in a couple viewings. In my first ranking (early 2020) I had Ceuleman number 9 and McTavish 13. As I didn't get to see them much after that, I guess they fell off my radar and other players who were playing surpassed them. In late 2020 I had Ceuleman 15 and McTavish 22. This March, as Ceuleman had hardly played all year, I had him as low as 19 and McTavish was still 22. One tough lesson I seem to learn over and over about scouting is to trust my initial assessments, while they are fresh in my mind.