The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

9 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Crafty sniper. One of the better goal scorers in the draft. Minnesota kid like Brock. RH shot too. Good hands and vision. Engages in puck battles and tends to win them. Smart player. Wicked wrist shot. Can score from anywhere. 

Needs to improve his speed skating-wise but he’s agile. He just isn’t an explosive skater.  He had an injury that may have set his skating back a bit. 

I’ve seen comparisons to a more of a goal scoring Stepan/Lindholm. 

I would prefer Guenther if we want a offensive forward. He’s more on an explosive goal scorer with breakaway speed and size to boot.  Skilled passer too and isn’t a slouch in his own zone for an offensive player. RH shot that can play either wing. I have him ranked higher than Lucius. Guenther needs to fill out his 6’1 frame a bit. He’s around 180lbs. 

So the definition of meh in the top 10 for our team needs

Edited by Warhippy

18 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So the definition of meh in the top 10 for our team needs

We could definitely use another speedy dynamic offensive forward, particularly a RH/RW one. The only one we really have who’s an elite talent is Petey. 

We don’t need a top 6 C with Petey/Horvat down the middle. The only one I would consider drafting would be Beniers if we are not high enough for the D I’d pick over him. 

If Powers/Hughes/Clarke are gone my next best are Beniers/Edvinsson/Eklund/Johnson/Guenther

Right now my priority in the first round would be D then RW unless someone falls. 

59 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Interesting point. But it says more about how well the scouting services know the players. NHL teams' lists won't change much - their scouts already know the players well. Media/fan scouts who hadn't seen the players enough will likely change. Take myself for instance, I like to think I have a pretty good eye, but it takes me many viewings to see what NHL scouts could tell you in a couple viewings. In my first ranking (early 2020) I had Ceuleman number 9 and McTavish 13. As I didn't get to see them much after that, I guess they fell off my radar and other players who were playing surpassed them. In late 2020 I had Ceuleman 15 and McTavish 22. This March, as Ceuleman had hardly played all year, I had him as low as 19 and McTavish was still 22. One tough lesson I seem to learn over and over about scouting is to trust my initial assessments, while they are fresh in my mind.

Well, I am not an expert on Evaluations, although I did some for minor hockey and reps. I find it interesting that you suggest going with your initial assessments. Although never having coached elite players at any level, I have seen enough players develop over a short period......meaning even at the U18 level, players must jockey for position. So, I question your comment to trust your original assessment over your later ones. Is it this year in particular?

Chychrun and Raty come to mind, in different ways..............Chychrun dropped through his final year, and in the draft, only to now become a ligit #1 LHD. Ratty on the other hand was ranked very high at the beginning of the year, and has been dropping ever since. It will be interesting to see where he is picked, and how he turns out.

I guess in the end, it really underlines exactly how imperfect of a science scouting and rankings are. Generally the cream rises to the top, but every once in a while, someone shows up out of the blue. I love the draft and look forward to reading and watching more.

Have you posted your last rankings on here?

I do have another question for you. I will phrase it in the form of a statement. I feel that this draft will actually show to be a deep draft, in terms of 1st and 2nd line players, but will not show any truly elite players............IMO, it looks to be about 15 to 18 strong at the top, with a fairly large second tier, reaching well into the second round. I would love to hear your thoughts on my comment/question.

PS..................I have enjoyed your take on the prospects, keep writing!

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

If we had the 1st overall...I'd consider dangling it to Buffallo for Reinhadrt and their 1st.

Hell I'd even try asking for Dahlin and next years first

That way they can laugh at you twice! :emot-parrot:

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, I am not an expert on Evaluations, although I did some for minor hockey and reps. I find it interesting that you suggest going with your initial assessments. Although never having coached elite players at any level, I have seen enough players develop over a short period......meaning even at the U17 level, players must jockey for position. So, I question your comment to trust your original assessment over your later ones. Is it this year in particular?

Chychrun and Raty come to mind, in different ways..............Chychrun dropped through his final year, and in the draft, only to now become a ligit #1 LHD. Ratty on the other hand was ranked very high at the beginning of the year, and has been dropping ever since. It will be interesting to see where he is picked, and how he turns out.

I guess in the end, it really underlines exactly how imperfect of a science scouting and rankings are. Generally the cream rises to the top, but every once in a while, someone shows up out of the blue. I love the draft and look forward to reading and watching more.

Have you posted your last rankings on here?

I do have another question for you. I will phrase it in the form of a statement. I feel that this draft will actually show to be a deep draft, in terms of 1st and 2nd line players, but will not show any truly elite players............IMO, it looks to be about 15 to 18 strong at the top, with a fairly large second tier, reaching well into the second round. I would love to hear your thoughts on my comment/question.

PS..................I have enjoyed your take on the prospects, keep writing!

Oh god, I worded that terribly. Yeah of course not "initial" assessments so much. If that' was what I meant I would have contradicted myself within that very post, saying that it takes me many viewings to get a solid read. But what I meant is, in situations like this where I just haven't watched the player for a while and am just looking at the stats, it is easy to forget what I saw and go "well, this dude should be scoring a lot more at this level if he's as good as I thought he was" and I'll adjust my rankings. So I guess I should just say "trust my assessments", versus stats and what I read from people online. I've mentioned before about Svechkov this year, how I'd already seen him a bunch at U17 and 5NU17, and had him in my top 15, but then the media rankings started coming out and he was nowhere near the first round, I started to seriously doubt myself. Same thing with Mukhamadullin last year - I had a bunch of viewings and had him ranked around 16 to 18, but everyone told me I was an idiot. Sure enough, he went 20.

Brandon Saad is another example of the Chychrun phenomena you mentioned. I recall he was very highly touted going into his draft year, fell hard, and ended up being a really good player for a while.

I did post at least one ranking on here. I haven't been using this forum all that long.

I agree with your question statement, including the top 18 or so. and I suspect we would list almost the exact same players. I've recently added Tuomaala to that tier though, and I'm on the fence about Raty, Othmann and Bolduc. So between 17 and 20. Regarding the next tier after that, I can't say nearly as much as I'd like. With available viewings so limited this year, I've been pretty focused on the top end. But yeah, I have the same impression as you, probably lots of good players, but not much in terms of superstars. But there's usually at least a couple pop up somewhere. Watch out for Tuomaala.I don't know what to make of this kid. Just snuck up out of nowhere. Skill level looks off the charts, plus hockey sense, work ethic, tenacity all look great. But I've only seen him two and a half games now so I dunno. This goes back to the point about assessment (and the problem of initial assessment) vs. stats and reputation, because my gut tells me this guy is easily on the same level as guys like Lysell, Chibrikov and Johnson, but on such limited viewings, surely I'm missing something?

• Like 1

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

I would shop our 1st this year, see whats out there in terms of immediate youngish/controlled help.

agree,

A few thoughts

- looks like we will land in the 3-8 range

- a first for a guy like reinhart or ristoleinen  +- we add and send a cap dump back?

- would be interested in trading to drop down into the 12 to 15 range and pick up a young roster player

- if we keep the pick, there really is not much separating top 10 or so, like if Power was a LD, would he be no favoured no 1? I am guess Clarke would be preferred in that case

- if we keep the pick, I would pick BPA, I think another top D man or C would be preferred over a winger but you always need to go BPA in the early first

-a lot of boards have Chaz Lucius around 10, Will Scouch on sports net 650 really not high on this guy at all, really makes him sound like more of a top 20 than a top 10 pick, ppl have said better things about McTavish and Sillinger who are more in the 11-15 range

- we need to re work our bottom six - Motte, Pearson omg the third, Sutter on a cheap contract as 4C, find a 3C, maybe in next 2 yrs Lind Gadjo, Jasek, Carlsson can become contributors,

-I do not think Mcewan is a good regular NHL forward 

Miller Petey Hoglander

Podkolzin Bo Boeser

Pearson 3C Motte

4LW  Sutter Lind

interesting centre options- Wennberg! Krejci on a short contract, Cizikas, Granlund, Janmark

interesting D men- Savard, hamilton, maybe Larsson but bet elm resigns him, Ryan Murray, Barrie, 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

You really think the players are supposed to humiliate themselves by intentionally losing when at least half of them will be with new teams in three or four years when that draft pick is able to make an impact? They're playing for pride, but they're also playing for contracts; for some of them their NHL careers are on the line.

This.... amazingly some folks don't quite understand that... 

Interesting looking at Buttons newly released list. He's got Ceulemans at 22, Lysell at 27, Raty at 29 while having L'Heureux at 8, and Morrow isn't in the first round on his list. 

Seems a little out of sync with most other recent lists I've seen published. Could just be a sign of how hard it is to gauge this year's prospects due to Covid. Could be some really interesting pickups, especially in the early to mid second round.

Thinking about the future core:

Hoglander - Horvat - Boeser

XX - Pettersson - Podkolzin

XX - XX - Lind

XX - Focht - MacEwen

Lockwood

Hughes - XX

Juolevi - Rathbone

XX - XX

Woo

Demko

Silovs

There are areas that need help, the C and LW positions up front, and a true #1 Dman to pair with Hughes.

My Choices today:

1. Clarke (to play with Hughes)

2. Beniers to become #2C or #2LW

3. Power (just because, with a name like that, how could you pass? High ceiling. Maybe he also plays with Hiughes)  Power - Hughes

• Cheers 1

Buttons most recent list:

1 Owen Power Michigan (NCAA)
2 Brandt Clarke Nove Zamky (SVK)
3 Simon Edvinsson Frolunda (SHL)
4 Luke Hughes USA U18 (USHL)
5 Matthew Beniers Michigan (NCAA)
6 William Eklund Djurgardens (SHL)
7 Dylan Guenther Edmonton (WHL)
8 Zachary L’Heureux Halifax (QMJHL)
9 Jesper Wallstedt  Lulea (SHL)
10 Fedor Svechkov Togliatti (VHL)
11 Matthew Coronato Chicago (USHL)
12 Carson Lambos JYP (SM Liiga Jr. )
13 Kent Johnson Michigan (NCAA)
14 Mason McTavish Olten (SUI)
15 Chaz Lucius USA U18 (USHL)
16 Zachary Bolduc Rimouski (QMJHL)
17 Cole Sillinger Sioux Falls (USHL)
18 Brennan Othmann Olten (SUI)
19 Sebastian Cossa Edmonton (WHL)
20 Samu Tuomaala Karpat (SM Liiga Jr.) 
21 Daniil Chayka Moskva (KHL)
22 Corson Ceulemans Brooks (AJHL)
23 Nikita Chibrikov St. Petersburg (KHL)
24 Isak Rosen Leksands (SHL)
25 Francesco Pinelli Jesenice (SLO)
26 Zach Dean Gatineau (QMJHL)
27 Fabian Lysell Lulea (SHL)
28 Xavier Bourgault Shawinigan (QMJHL)
29 Aatu Raty Karpat (SM Liiga)
30 Oskar Olausson HV71 (SWE J20)
31 Benjamin Gaudreau Sarnia (OHL)
32 Anton Olsson Malmo (SHL)

What are are the chances Svechkov is our guy? 

Would be a positional need and possibly not BPA

• Thanks 2

Hmmm kent johnson dropped a lil and lysell dropped a lot.

personally for me id want brandt clarke first and if hes picked im hoping we take one of any of those forwards bernier, eklund, or guenther. Any of these 3 forwards will be in the any top 6 in the future. 

15 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Hmmm kent johnson dropped a lil and lysell dropped a lot.

personally for me id want brandt clarke first and if hes picked im hoping we take one of any of those forwards bernier, eklund, or guenther. Any of these 3 forwards will be in the any top 6 in the future. 

You have 6 guys named in your post.  I'd be near certain we end up with one of them.

2 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

I’m really hoping for a shot at Clarke. We are desperate for a top pairing right d, it would balance our lineup extremely well. We would need to get pretty lucky with the draft lottery though. 

Yeah i think knowing that we could have 2 elite top pairing Dmen is so tempting that each could be around for over a decade.

• Upvote 1

leftside D .....Canucks got  

Quinn, Rath, OJ

I like Clarke hes a Rightside D which is great, but who would be his D partner seriously? That makes a solid strong D pairing in the Canucks zone. plus who are the PK D pairings.

Oj - Clarke may work and could possibly be a future pairing.

Quinn/Rath- Clarke would be great in college but not so much in the NHL....thats just my opinion.

I think Canucks should take a rightside D in a later round. In the First Round Canucks need a top 6 scoring forward.

Edited by HockeyHarry

23 hours ago, BCNate said:

The top of this draft is pretty heavy on LHD, which we do not need.

Sure we do.

Edler is 36, Schmidt by memory 30. Juolevi still somewhat a wild card.  

If Owen Power is available when we are drafting it ain;t even a thought... 

Clarke would be my 1st pick as a top pairing Dman, but I noticed Button has Edvinsson in his Top 3. I wonder though if he turns out more like a Tyler Myers type of Dman. Luckily there are several good Dmen in this Draft. 

For me, it's Clarke, Power, Hughes and Lambos before Edvinsson

1 hour ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

We aint trading our pick stop it.

Why not consider it?

If you could get a good younger player that makes us significantly better right away, thats also under team control and can grow with this group? 

Suppose it depends how high the pick is, but this draft doesn't seem to have the same high end talent of other years.