The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

Pick the BPA ( me...:P). 

If some kids are equal, then by position. 

I have the feeling Canucks chose OJ over Tkachuk cuz we desperately needed D prospects.  And JV cuz he's a local boy over Nylander/Ehlers.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Why not consider it?

If you could get a good younger player that makes us significantly better right away, thats also under team control and can grow with this group? 

Suppose it depends how high the pick is, but this draft doesn't seem to have the same high end talent of other years. 

Well of course id listen i suppose. Lol

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Sure we do.

Edler is 36, Schmidt by memory 30. Juolevi still somewhat a wild card.  

If Owen Power is available when we are drafting it ain;t even a thought... 

To each their own I guess.  I look at it as Hughes, Rathbone, Juolevi, Schmidt.  Sure there is always better, but I'd say that RD and 2 top 6 forwards are a bigger need.  I think the ultimate goal is to have 9 top 6 forwards----2 scoring lines, 1 shutdown line that can put in points.  

1 hour ago, BPA said:

I have the feeling Canucks chose OJ over Tkachuk cuz we desperately needed D prospects.  And JV cuz he's a local boy over Nylander/Ehlers.

I think Benning drafted Virtanen because, at the time, the Canucks sorely lacked a fast, physical power forward type of player. With the Canucks already having Jake developing, maybe they didn't feel drafting another s***head would be wise? Juolevi was also very good with FIN in the WJC. They needed good D prospects badly.

In hindsight,  maybe instead of Virtanen and Juolevi they should've drafted Nylander and McAvoy.  Imagine that today. Benning would be a fricken genius lol  

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

To each their own I guess.  I look at it as Hughes, Rathbone, Juolevi, Schmidt.  Sure there is always better, but I'd say that RD and 2 top 6 forwards are a bigger need.  I think the ultimate goal is to have 9 top 6 forwards----2 scoring lines, 1 shutdown line that can put in points.  

What we want is the most dymamic impactful player. In a target date range 2023 to 2029.  Schmidt will at best be on decline at that stage. Neither Juolevi nor Rathbone has ''made it'' yet.  Even if they do, and I suspect they will!  

In the top 10, which is where we will draft, likely 6th or 7th? There should be one or three athletes that not only have top skill? Also athleticism or power, agility that should be a constant mismatch, cannot be contained or kept up with.  Not just the honed skills a Rathbone seems to have.

I wanted a D 2knd round 2019?  But was thrilled when one of the drafts best athletes Hoglander was available. I conceded immediately he had to be picked. And look; he pushes bigger guys off pucks, peels away free to cause damage when he wins battles. Because those same guys are already out of puff, cannot keep up with his always revving motor. 

In the top 10 we should get Boeser's shot with Hoggie's raw athletecism; think no one can skate with Quinn Hughes...

I dont care if that is in a left D!  

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I think Benning drafted Virtanen because, at the time, the Canucks sorely lacked a fast, physical power forward type of player. With the Canucks already having Jake developing, maybe they didn't feel drafting another s***head would be wise? Juolevi was also very good with FIN in the WJC. They needed good D prospects badly.

In hindsight,  maybe instead of Virtanen and Juolevi they should've drafted Nylander and McAvoy.  Imagine that today. Benning would be a fricken genius lol  

Had we drafted them back then we probably wouldn’t have Petey/Hughes/Hog/Pod now. 

The butterfly effect trumps any argument. 

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We could definitely use another speedy dynamic offensive forward, particularly a RH/RW one. The only one we really have who’s an elite talent is Petey. 

We don’t need a top 6 C with Petey/Horvat down the middle. The only one I would consider drafting would be Beniers if we are not high enough for the D I’d pick over him. 

If Powers/Hughes/Clarke are gone my next best are Beniers/Edvinsson/Eklund/Johnson/Guenther

Right now my priority in the first round would be D then RW unless someone falls. 

If Brandt is gone would want Johnson or Eklund. Both dynamic elusive skilled forwards Johnson is a wizard with the puck and has been compared to Petey/Kane. Eklund is elusive dynamic and can put the puck in the back of the net. The rest through my eye test are meh. Even with Brandt available I would gamble on these two tbh.

What if this ends up being one of those drafts where D men are taken 1-4.

Power

Clarke

Hughes 

Edvinsson

If we end up in that 5th spot we could end up snagging the best forward available.

That being said I hope we get a D man. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

What if this ends up being one of those drafts where D men are taken 1-4.

Power

Clarke

Hughes 

Edvinsson

If we end up in that 5th spot we could end up snagging the best forward available.

That being said I hope we get a D man. 

Whew now u got me wanting beniers lol

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, BPA said:

Pick the BPA ( me...:P). 

If some kids are equal, then by position. 

I read that Linden and Tkachuk senior have had a long simmering feud dating back to the players association. 

Don't ask for a source though..... maybe write it off as speculation

• Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Its actually pretty clever

Lol yeah it is...

But it's one of the darkest moments in franchise history.

I'm not gonna call myself "LidstromFromCentre" or "Burrows-Biter" or "Malhotra'sEyeSocket" or "BrashearLaysUnconscious"

How bout them prospects this year though!

25 minutes ago, nergish said:

Lol yeah it is...

But it's one of the darkest moments in franchise history.

I'm not gonna call myself "LidstromFromCentre" or "Burrows-Biter" or "Malhotra'sEyeSocket" or "BrashearLaysUnconscious"

How bout them prospects this year though!

Dont read much into it unless u have to lol its part of canuck history good or bad 

Hate to say it but LA will get smoked by Colorado again.  Our team is over their covid funk and I can see them winning 2 out of their 5 games remaining.  That would make us leapfrog both LA and San Jose unfortunately.  

That would give us the 9th overall pick.  

9th overall guys, stop daydreaming of getting the 5th overall, it ain't happening and I do hope that I'm wrong. 

6 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Hate to say it but LA will get smoked by Colorado again.  Our team is over their covid funk and I can see them winning 2 out of their 5 games remaining.  That would make us leapfrog both LA and San Jose unfortunately.  

That would give us the 9th overall pick.  

9th overall guys, stop daydreaming of getting the 5th overall, it ain't happening and I do hope that I'm wrong. 

In all likelihood you're probably right.