The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

8 minutes ago, Sp3nny said:

I think calling him a passenger is a bit of a disservice as almost anyone would look like a passenger on Beniers line. No, he doesn't have the dog-on-a-bone forcheck and puck retrieval of a Beniers or Podkolzin, but he does quite well for his size in driving play. He makes a lot of things happen.

Not knocking him as a player. He is very good, but he has been a bit of the passenger even back in the days when he played for trail. 

3 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Im not sure what you mean about mitch brown? Youtube shows nothing. 
i like Scouching report on youtube he does a great hockey prospects breakdown.

im sure mitch brown does a good job.. i just can’t find his video prospect breakdown that you get to see the prospect on the ice and he shows you whats up with the on ice hockey stuff.

i wanta see them play not just read their report.

Elite prospects main guy scouting. His twitter is fun  cuz he will track zone entries and exits of some of theelite defensmen in this draft

2 hours ago, Isam said:

Not knocking him as a player. He is very good, but he has been a bit of the passenger even back in the days when he played for trail. 

I think I know what you are getting at, and I don't necessarily disagree. Do you refer to passenger as he let's the play come to him, or that others around him do more than he does? Or that he isn't the highest energy guy? I would agree with the energy part, and that's what I was referring to when I said in comparison to Beniers. But I think he drives play with his IQ, and don't see him as a passenger in that regard.

10 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

That's interesting, I have Johnson at #2 actually lol

I think he has incredible skill (hands) and skating, vision. I've heard him compared to Patty Kane.   

Never heard he doesn't use teammates, he has also been compared to Petey also by one scout. He has a dynamic ceiling and has been said as the most creative elusive player in the  draft why not have two Peteys on one team.

11 hours ago, HockeyHarry said:

Kent Johnson Im hearing is a flashy puck hog that doesn’t know how to use his linemates and also need to work on his defensive game. So that’s a big turn off for me and that’s why he’s in the 9-13 range. So I’m guessing he’s got too figure things out before he’s anywhere close to NHL ready.

Disagree he aint a puck hog when he is has been said as a creative elusive playmaker

8 hours ago, Sp3nny said:

I've watched a fair bit of Johnson and posted on previous pages my takeaways, but here is what I see in a nutshell. While at times he can control the play this way, I wouldn't class him as a puck hog. His vision is excellent, and he uses the ice beautifully. Extremely skilled with the puck on his stick, think Pat Kane with that comparison, but he isn't as skilled as Kane, but thats how he uses the ice. Constantly looking to make a play, and he wants the puck for that reason. He does end up having the puck often, but he isn't hogging it, he is looking to make something happen. Even just looking at his stats, he has always had more assists than goals, showing he likes to distribute. And while he isn't a defensive machine, he shows a willingness to backcheck and play along the boards quite well.

For me, the closest comparable is Giroux in both play style and upside. I think Eklund is the best forward in this draft, Beniers the safest, but Johnson the highest upside. It's just a matter of if he can reach it. 

Johnson does not remind me of Giroux but more of Zegras or Kane type

1 minute ago, PositionOfPower said:

Johnson does not remind me of Giroux but more of Zegras or Kane type

Yeah, good comp; if Brandt is not there I hope the Canucks picks him if he available.  Hope he does better than our first hometown pick (JBs' first ever pick as a Canuck GM).  

55 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yeah, good comp; if Brandt is not there I hope the Canucks picks him if he available.  Hope he does better than our first hometown pick (JBs' first ever pick as a Canuck GM).  

Unlike virtanen this guy actually has elite iq and hockey sense lol 

22 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

The way I look at Cs is that they'd have to be significantly better at C than Petey. There's a lot of guys like Eklund/Johnson who I can see being wingers when they make the jump. Beniers has a way better skill set at C.

The next 2 drafts after this one are gonna have a couple franchise level Cs though. Bedard/Wright are gonna be fantastic players.

I like a lot of the players in this top 10ish. There's not as much of a BPA this year compared to others. Only one I'd question not taking 1st overall is Power but not nearly as much as other drafts.

My soft top 5 is

Power

Clarke

Hughes

Beniers

Edvinsson

Best winger in the draft is Eklund with Guenther being a really close 2nd. I like Lysell too if we're outside the top 10.

Personally I wouldn't trade the 1st overall unless we are getting a lot. If Power pans out properly you'll maybe have a top 10 defenseman in the league.

My top 3 is regardless of scouts opinion:

1. Johnson- Zegras, Kane, Petey comparable

2. Eklund- Reminds me of bit of Barzal especially stylistically and how he eludes checks and spins off checkers. Similar body physique aswell.

3. Clarke- Bigger version of hughes

Edited by PositionOfPower

20 hours ago, smithers joe said:

you mean, after what the players went through?

No I meant the fans. I wasn't speaking about Covid, I was talking about watching perhaps the most miserable season I've watched and I've been watching since 84. Sure there has been worse seasons but aside from Hogs and Brock, this team was a trainwreck all season minus the one stretch where Demko put up Vezina-like numbers. The fact that the Habs fans and Jets fans are getting ready to watch playoff hockey when on paper and based on last season we are better makes it even harder. 

I know the team has a lot of reasons as to why the season torpedoed but that doesn't make it easier. Take a gander on HF, we are being talked about in the same breath as the Sabres and even someone like me, who has defended the GM every step of the way is having a hard time after the countless articles coming out about his constant mistakes.

If he gets another year, he really really needs more than just his usual good drafting.

yes it has been a hard year for us, but i still look at the season from a player's point of view. it isn't fun for them losing. as far as the GM and coaches go, that is for the aquillini's to figure out. there is plenty blame to go around, including ownership. would a new GM want another rebuild and 5 years to get us to where we're close to getting to now?  i'm not advocating not making changes, just being sure what moves need to be made.

my wish is that someone makes decisions soon, get petey and quinn signed and either let the GM and coaches go or retain them. i'm sure those things are being considered now.

eriksson, virtanen and roussel need to be addressed.  decisions on edler, sutter and hamonic would be good to know too?

my question would be, back when linden was fired, FA said is was because everyone was not on the same page. i read it as, we want to fast track the rebuild and trevor wants a proper rebuild. was JB, on board with ownership or wanting to keep his job? he still made plenty of mis-steps but which GM hasn't?

i give cudo's to the players for battling through a tough year.

I don't know, if we win the 1st overall

I'd say talk to Buffalo, Anaheim, Ottawa and see what they'd be willing to offer for the 1st overall.

I'd honestly consider this and next years 1st round picks (non protected) to move down to the 2 or 3 spot.

Clarke or Beniers is a dream right now but also getting an almost guaranteed top 5 pick next year as well is the icing on the cake

Although certainly not afraid at all about using the 1st OA either but still feel as though this years top 7 is an absolute crap shoot and Powers at 1st overall makes me very very nervous

Since we're most likely drafting 9th overall, or 11th depending on who behind us manages to win the 1 and 2 spot again (seriously) let's talk 2nd round picks here

Who is a standout, give me 5 names to look at and why

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I don't know, if we win the 1st overall

I'd say talk to Buffalo, Anaheim, Ottawa and see what they'd be willing to offer for the 1st overall.

I'd honestly consider this and next years 1st round picks (non protected) to move down to the 2 or 3 spot.

Clarke or Beniers is a dream right now but also getting an almost guaranteed top 5 pick next year as well is the icing on the cake

Although certainly not afraid at all about using the 1st OA either but still feel as though this years top 7 is an absolute crap shoot and Powers at 1st overall makes me very very nervous

If we somehow won 1st OA, I say just pick Clarke and be done with it. Yes, there "may" be better, but as you stated, this year is very questionable, in terms of any top pick turning out as advertised. (Not your words, but I think everyone is aware of this)

This year kind of reminds me of a prize table at golf. Pretty much every prize has the same value, but first up gets his pick of all the prizes, and everyone always seems to moan and say they wanted that one! LOL

People need to remember, we have been spoiled with our recent 1st round returns, but hind sight is 20/20, and we may not get the "best" prospect, but if that prospect turns out to be above average and fills a hole, I consider that a win.

Therefore, make your pick and live with the consequences, and hope Benning makes another great pick (s). IMO, I would trade up to get Clarke, "IF" the cost is reasonable.

Remember, our first round placement affects us in future rounds..............aka 5th position in the first, means 37th in the 2nd, and 69th in the 3rd, etc..............

Let's hope!

8 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Since we're most likely drafting 9th overall, or 11th depending on who behind us manages to win the 1 and 2 spot again (seriously) let's talk 2nd round picks here

I like Morrow (late 1st) and Mailloux (late 1st), both RHD

I would like to trade up. if at all possible in the 2nd

Now that I have my list mostly set, I finally started giving some thought to whether to trade the pick or what to do with it, I don't think there is much debate that Power, Hughes, Clarke, Eklund and Beniers belong in the top tier. For me that is the clear top five, and then there is a significant (but not drastic) dropoff. Many people would include Guenther and/or Edvinsson in that tier. Fine. There are going to be outliers but we have a fairly unanimous top tier of 5-7. After that, the next tier goes down to somewhere around 18. I don't know a ton about the depth of this class beyond that, but I have some concerns. Last year was a fairly deep draft, where there was 40ish prospects who could have been considered first rounders. This year, I only see clear first rounders up to around 25.

So, if we pick in the top 5-7, the best option would be to keep the pick. If we pick later than that, I would be trying to package the pick in a trade for an established young player. I would not endorse trading back in this draft because I think there is a steep dropoff from around 18 to 25, i.e. from 18 to 19 and from 24 to 25 aren't steep, but there is a significant enough gradual decline through that range that the difference from ~18 to ~25 is large. So I wouldn't want to trade back if the picks we are getting in return are taking us out of those ranges. Looking at the teams picking in the 14-20 range, none of them have a second pick until the mid second round. That's not enough to be worth trading down. The Blue Jackets with 23 and 29 is somewhat appealing, but I think I would still rather just use the pick. But again, outside of the top five, there's no prospects in this draft that I "just have to have". So my first choice would be trying to package the pick in a trade for a good young player.

41 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

We have 4 games I still think we can go 1-3. We have a back to back starting today against Edmonton who have our number so if we lose today the boys could be gassed for Calgary tomorrow. Then split the last two games against Calgary and we’re slated for 5th overall!

24 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

We have 4 games I still think we can go 1-3. We have a back to back starting today against Edmonton who have our number so if we lose today the boys could be gassed for Calgary tomorrow. Then split the last two games against Calgary and we’re slated for 5th overall!

Seattle has the 3rd best odds in the draft lottery right?

Where do they pick if they don’t win the lottery?

48 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Seattle has the 3rd best odds in the draft lottery right?

Where do they pick if they don’t win the lottery?

They pick 3rd before the lottery, so if two teams that were lower win the lottery and jump ahead of them they pick 5th, if only one wins and moves ahead they pick 4th and if the bottom 2 teams in the league win then Seattle picks 3rd.

It's not just that they have the 3rd best odds in the lottery, they do, Seattle has the 3rd pick and then the lottery happens.

Edited by 204CanucksFan
Additional content