The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

12 hours ago, PositionOfPower said:

My top 3 is regardless of scouts opinion:

1. Johnson- Zegras, Kane, Petey comparable

2. Eklund- Reminds me of bit of Barzal especially stylistically and how he eludes checks and spins off checkers. Similar body physique aswell.

3. Clarke- Bigger version of hughes

IM A HUGE FAN OF ZEGRAS! Im down for Johnson but some ppl dont really like him and I dont know why. 

12 minutes ago, 204CanucksFan said:

They pick 3rd before the lottery, so if two teams that were lower win the lottery and jump ahead of them they pick 5th, if only one wins and moves ahead they pick 4th and if the bottom 2 teams in the league win then Seattle picks 3rd.

It's not just that they have the 3rd best odds in the lottery, they do, Seattle has the 3rd pick and then the lottery happens.

Ah I see.

So in all likelihood we pick 6th if we stay in the same position and don’t win the lottery.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Seattle has the 3rd best odds in the draft lottery right?

Where do they pick if they don’t win the lottery?

Yeah if we go 1-3 to finish out the year we’d have the 4th worst record but Seattle would slot in 3rd and everybody back one spot. I mean Vancouver doesn’t get much more of a chance to win the lottery slotted at 5-9 it’s just a matter of not sliding as much. At 5th we might have one team jump us in the lottery and picking 6th is better than 9th or 10th. At 6 we might still get one of the top 4 dmen in this draft.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

How exactly would we get Jack?

Well I couldn’t really see a way to get him other than overpaying in a trade or the long con if NJ continues to suck and in 5-6 years or so when he’s a free agent you’d have to think the team that has his 2 brothers would be in the lead to get him.

17 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

How exactly would we get Jack?

Jersey has two smallish, and not very good defensively, centres in Jack and Heischer.  They would love Bo.  We love Bo too, of course, but Bo for Jack (at the draft after we select Luke) would be tremendous. 

Draft Luke

trade Bo for Jack.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Jersey has two smallish, and not very good defensively, centres in Jack and Heischer.  They would love Bo.  We love Bo too, of course, but Bo for Jack (at the draft after we select Luke) would be tremendous. 

Draft Luke

trade Bo for Jack.

And then we have two smallish centers that can’t handle a shutdown role.

How does that make us better exactly?

The only way it would make sense is if Jersey takes Beniers and then is willing to trade Jack for Boeser.

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

The only way it would make sense is if Jersey takes Beniers and then is willing to trade Jack for Boeser.

Miller plays centre, and is good at it.  Play Jack on Miller’s wing.

Boeser for Jack is good for us, but Jersey will want Bo.  

Imagine if we had all three Hughes’ boys!  

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Jack Hughes has been a little bit underwhelming in his first couple seasons but he is a smaller guy and you see the potential. I’d rather have Horvat with everything he brings. Jack might be +10 +15 more points a year when in their primes but Bo’s captain material and an all situations player.

• Cheers 1

Just now, flickyoursedin said:

Jack Hughes has been a little bit underwhelming in his first couple seasons but he is a smaller guy and you see the potential. I’d rather have Horvat with everything he brings. Jack might be +10 +15 more points a year when in their primes but Bo’s captain material and an all situations player.

I would never trade Bo.

Wing is the only position of strength we should consider trading from. And even then we’re not that deep.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Interestingcomparitive read  regarding top ten picks

2021 NHL Draft: Sorting Out the Top-10 (thehockeywriters.com)

I don't want to be dismissive, but it is worth noting that this is very much just a fan opinion. Not a criticism in itself - there are many fan scouts that are actually much better than some of the media scouting services. Whether lone fan or media-backed, you just have to keep track and figure out who you trust. Personally, I only have a small handful of sources I take very seriously, and most of the rest I don't pay much attention to.

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Draft Luke

trade Bo for Jack.

Hischier is neither smallish or poor defensively. He's 6'1 and around 200lbs. Also very good defensively. 

45 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Interestingcomparitive read  regarding top ten picks

2021 NHL Draft: Sorting Out the Top-10 (thehockeywriters.com)

Nice read through.

coming from someone who’s watched nothing of this years draft crop all i hAve to

to go off see articles like this and all the  Different rankings out there.

i think it’s safe to say this years draft will be a lot of fun. Could go down as one of the most referenced drafts in history. With where guys get drafted.

We know C go higher usually and with guys like pinelli and Mctavish showing well at the u18 I feel they could go higher than expected.

again I know little about this draft class but I don’t even care where we pick I’m pretty sure we will have an opportunity to get the best player of the draft anywhere in the top 15.

I am starting to have a bias towards wanting Clarke most though followed by Luke Hughes.

really like this brandt Clarke kid from

what I can see/read:

- he has the size

- he has the skating ability

- he’s rhd

- he plays that puck moving style that the nhl is moving toward 

- he challenged himself by playing against men / pros a big jump 

- u18 Against his peers he looked unreal from

what I’ve read and heard of his performance 
- iQ is there from what I’ve read

to me he sounds like exactly what we need, 

luke Hughes would be interesting would probably need 2 years.

power and the big Swedish guy sound to me

like Johnson and Myers but I know nothing about nothing.

just hope we aren’t the team that takes a bust or have a team pick the best player In this Draft right after us lol cause that’s gonna happen in this draft 100%

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Hischier is neither smallish or poor defensively. He's 6'1 and around 200lbs. Also very good defensively. 

Are you sure?  I saw him wearing a blue hat, and singing the “Smurf” song.  :emot-parrot:

• Haha 1

I do have to say Guenther is really interesting as a prospect. Typically the centres and defensemen get all the priority so I could see Guenther anywhere between 3-7. Even though it's a smaller sample size 2 PPG (with a 1.0 gpg) is indicative of a #1 winger in the NHL and although it's not really our priority he would solidify our top 6 and give us depth on the third line. I could see him as a 25-30goal scorer 60 pts in his prime with upside of PPG in his prime. 

Boeser -Pettersson - Miller

Guenther - Horvat - Podkolzin

Motte - Lind - Pearson

Highmore - Boyd - xx

Personally I'd still rather see us draft a defenseman but if the top three D men and top 2 centers are gone I think Guenther would be an amazing pick. Of course this also now depends on where Vancouver drafts and it's looking more and more likely we will draft at 9 or lower.

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Didn't realize Clarke was playing in the Slovak leagues

5.ppg too no less against men as a 17/18 year old

I'm more than intrigued now

Just to add to that, it was a pretty rough transition period to the pros - not to mention he also made the jump mid-season, with the rest of the league in mid-season form and he hadnt played in 9 months - and he went pointless through his first 8 games, 1 point in his first 12. So its been 15 in his last 18, and 14 in 14. He was also -5 through those first 12, and then +11 through the last 14.

• Cheers 2