The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

Just to add to that, it was a pretty rough transition period to the pros - not to mention he also made the jump mid-season, with the rest of the league in mid-season form and he hadnt played in 9 months - and he went pointless through his first 8 games, 1 point in his first 12. So its been 15 in his last 18, and 14 in 14. He was also -5 through those first 12, and then +11 through the last 14.

I saw breakout footage too where he evaded and broke away from forecheckers clean like Quinn Hughes almost.

as a kid against pro men it was impressive to me to see.

love the numbers you just shared.

i don’t wanna get too pumped on him cause I think he’s going to go high and after beating Edmonton today we probably will be going into the lottery at 9. Can’t imagine us not winning a game in last three vs Calgary. 

i don’t see Clarke slipping to 9.  

my internet research / gut feeling ranking on these kids:

1. Clarke

2. Hughes

3. Eklund

4. Power

5. Benier

6. McTavish

7. Guenther

8. Edvinsson

9. L’Heureux

10. Johnson

but I know nothing!

really only want Clarke or Hughes but whoever we get hope they end up being the best player available or wait I’ll be greedy.. hope they the best of class!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

That couldve happened if we didnt win today and lost the next 3 to calgary as we would be picking ahead of NJD. Not anymore 

Aren’t New Jersey slated to pick 4th?

They’ll likely slide to 5th so I doubt Hughes is even there.

Doubt we could draft him unless we won the 2nd overall.

39 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I saw breakout footage too where he evaded and broke away from forecheckers clean like Quinn Hughes almost.

as a kid against pro men it was impressive to me to see.

love the numbers you just shared.

i don’t wanna get too pumped on him cause I think he’s going to go high and after beating Edmonton today we probably will be going into the lottery at 9. Can’t imagine us not winning a game in last three vs Calgary. 

i don’t see Clarke slipping to 9.  

my internet research / gut feeling ranking on these kids:

1. Clarke

2. Hughes

3. Eklund

4. Power

5. Benier

6. McTavish

7. Guenther

8. Edvinsson

9. L’Heureux

10. Johnson

but I know nothing!

really only want Clarke or Hughes but whoever we get hope they end up being the best player available or wait I’ll be greedy.. hope they the best of class!

We NEED Edvinsson or Power 

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

Just to add to that, it was a pretty rough transition period to the pros - not to mention he also made the jump mid-season, with the rest of the league in mid-season form and he hadnt played in 9 months - and he went pointless through his first 8 games, 1 point in his first 12. So its been 15 in his last 18, and 14 in 14. He was also -5 through those first 12, and then +11 through the last 14.

Ya my first impression was not good he was out of sync and all over the ice . However I continued to watch him and as he settled down letting the game come to him and strated to mesh with his team he quickly layed my worries to rest and has become my #1 pick.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Would be very cool to see Quinn announce that the Canucks are taking Luke but I don’t see it happening.

No thanks to Hughes, if they pick a dman, they need some size and grit

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Ya my first impression was not good he was out of sync and all over the ice . However I continued to watch him and as he settled down letting the game come to him and strated to mesh with his team he quickly layed my worries to rest and has become my #1 pick.

Yeah I remember us discussing this. It's funny, because I had the opposite first impression. I saw him at U17s, and you know how it is with those international tournaments, especially when it's your first viewing on most of the kids, you're trying to watch a little bit of everyone. And what I remembered seeing from Clarke was mainly just a really good two-way defenseman. Then I watched one of his very first games in Extraliga where he was just trying to find his his place and earn minutes, so he was still playing things pretty safe. So around the time you and I first started discussing the player, we had drastically different takes. This is why I always emphasize it is so, so important to watch prospects in as many different situations as possible. Mukhamadullin from last year's draft is the perfect example of this. I remember watching him as an underage defenseman at U18s, then Hlinkas, then WJAC, and I saw an elite pure stay-at-home shutdown defenseman. Then I started seeing media scouting services talk about him as an offensive defenseman, and people criticise him for making too many bad turnovers and such. And I was simply dumbfounded, because the player I saw so many times would flip the puck into an empty space in the neutral zone or off the glass before he would ever turn it over. But then I watched him in the MHL and I understood. As an underager playing for his country he was completely committed to a team concept and just fulfilling his role. But in the MHL where he was counted on to be "the guy", he was all over the place, trying to make all kinds of plays.

The story is a little different with Clarke, but in his first few games in Slovakia he was full-out benched a couple times early, to the tune of games of 3:28 and 10:52. So he knew he needed to buckle down and play the team system first, but on the other hand, he also knew he needed to put up numbers if he was going to be considered a first overall pick, so he had a bit of a line to juggle, and around that 10 game mark he was really forcing things. Anyways, what so amazed me, and cemented him as the top prospect of the draft in my eyes, was the way he so quickly was able to settle down and find that balance between being a reliable two-way pro defenseman, and then also being an gamebreaking puck-rusher.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, morrissex95 said:

We NEED Edvinsson or Power 

I’m not convinced with my internet knowledge and gut feeling on them.

if they the bpa when we pick and we take em awesome!

Craig has them very high in his list and Power seems to be as close to a consensus first as there is.

From what I’ve seen / read and gut feel I think Clarke is the best dman in the draft and I would take Hughes over edvinsson or power just because We basically know what Luke Hughes is going to be in 2/3 years.

I’m very convinced Luke Hughes is going to be a very good nhl dman and the idea of always having 1 of:

Q hughes

L hughes

rathbone  

sounds great to me. 

28 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I’m not convinced with my internet knowledge and gut feeling on them.

if they the bpa when we pick and we take em awesome!

Craig has them very high in his list and Power seems to be as close to a consensus first as there is.

From what I’ve seen / read and gut feel I think Clarke is the best dman in the draft and I would take Hughes over edvinsson or power just because We basically know what Luke Hughes is going to be in 2/3 years.

I’m very convinced Luke Hughes is going to be a very good nhl dman and the idea of always having 1 of:

Q hughes

L hughes

rathbone  

sounds great to me. 

Luke Hughes doesn't have a strong enough defensive game like Edvinsson. Edvinsson would jive well with our other young swedes like Pettersson and Hoglander. Next year, we get a center or a winger high up in the draft. We get Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle, Virtanen and Luongo all off the books. Our only bad contracts left are Ferland and Myers. Part of drafting is planning where the player fits in long-term. We need to pick a defender and there's only one righty in the top 10. Chances are, we'll be getting a lefty and I'll pray that it isn't Lambos because he'll take years to develop like Juolevi did. 

My D ranking is:

Power

Edvinsson

L. Hughes

Clarke

Lambos 

We can't pick Luke just because he's Quinn's bro. Furthermore, New Jersey isn't going to trade one of their best players just because two of his brothers are on our team (I saw someone suggest this earlier. Not directing this at the quoted post.)

Did New York trade Marc Staal to Carolina for Jordan and Eric? Did NYI trade R. Strome to Arizona for Dylan? Did Buffalo trade Marcus Foligno to Columbus? Did the Blues trade Jordan Schmaltz to Chicago to play with brother Nick? Did the Sabres trade Alex Nylander to Toronto to play with William? Need I go on? 

2 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

Luke Hughes doesn't have a strong enough defensive game like Edvinsson. Edvinsson would jive well with our other young swedes like Pettersson and Hoglander. Next year, we get a center or a winger high up in the draft. We get Eriksson, Roussel, Beagle, Virtanen and Luongo all off the books. Our only bad contracts left are Ferland and Myers. Part of drafting is planning where the player fits in long-term. We need to pick a defender and there's only one righty in the top 10. Chances are, we'll be getting a lefty and I'll pray that it isn't Lambos because he'll take years to develop like Juolevi did. 

My D ranking is:

Power

Edvinsson

L. Hughes

Clarke

Lambos 

We can't pick Luke just because he's Quinn's bro. Furthermore, New Jersey isn't going to trade one of their best players just because two of his brothers are on our team (I saw someone suggest this earlier. Not directing this at the quoted post.)

Did New York trade Marc Staal to Carolina for Jordan and Eric? Did NYI trade R. Strome to Arizona for Dylan? Did Buffalo trade Marcus Foligno to Columbus? Did the Blues trade Jordan Schmaltz to Chicago to play with brother Nick? Did the Sabres trade Alex Nylander to Toronto to play with William? Need I go on? 

Ya hope that entire brother bit you went on about had nothing to do with what I said lolz

Other than that fair points and could very well be the best dmen available I don’t know. I acknowledged they could be the best for sure and lots of scouts rankinga have them high. With most having power at 1

i see more Myers then I see hedman from the Very little I’ve seen of the big swede 

me liking Luke has nothing to do with being Quinn’s brother.

1 hour ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Win the lottery and take Clarke or Power. Come on guys we got this!!!

If we were ever to win the lottery I wish it would be bedard year. But if we were to ever win one it would honestly be this year where it holds the least importance maybe ever in nhl draft history lmao

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

Ya hope that entire brother bit you went on about had nothing to do with what I said lolz

Other than that fair points and could very well be the best dmen available I don’t know. I acknowledged they could be the best for sure and lots of scouts rankinga have them high. With most having power at 1

i see more Myers then I see hedman from the Very little I’ve seen of the big swede 

me liking Luke has nothing to do with being Quinn’s brother.

Yeah I think Edvinsson is comparable to a guy like Ristolainen 

16 minutes ago, morrissex95 said:

But... Buuuuuuttt Brian Burke drafted the Sedin twins together :bigblush::emot-parrot::frantic::P

• Cheers 1