The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

Just now, Sean Monahan said:

I’m not sure how this ties in to people being upset about the team not tanking “properly”.

Well waht ever the ever faithful fans think about tanking it means zero to the players, they want good stats and have zero interest in the draft

8 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Unfortunately the most dynamic forwards in this draft all come with significant risk factor. Eklund will be gone top five, but then Johnson or Lysell would be the next best bets. Lysell's size and ability to win battles at the pro level are the main concern, but I also have minor concerns about his pro-level decision-making. When he was younger, he used to be bad for forcing plays and relying on his skill to do too much himself; the SHL has humbled him, and he's made major strides in that regard, but sometimes now it feels like he's not quite sure what he's supposed to do instead.

The issues with Johnson are well documented. I think sometimes they are blown out of proportion, but he's definitely going to need some serious coaching at the pro level. Even if he does pan out, it's probably going to be a long development process to iron out the wrinkles. But he needs to do a lot of filling out still anyway, so yeah... if he's our guy, expect a long development curve and a lot of fans to start saying he's a flop after two years.

I think Guenther is the next best option after Eklund/Beniers. He'd probably be the best fit in terms of being a right-handed dynamic scorer that's a good playmaker too. He's right up there in the talks with Beniers/Eklund for best forward. Good chance he's gone before we pick though. 

Johnson is pretty dynamic but yeah he'll need time. Also he's pretty much Petey size too and will need a year or two anyways filling out his frame. More of a playmaker than a shooter but can sometimes be a magician with the puck.

Lysell always gives 110%. IMO losing puck battles isn't for a lack of effort but size. His two-way game is pretty good for his age. I have heard comparisons to Konecny but more of a passer than Konecny. Also some Marner comparisons. All style comparisons.

Couldn't go wrong with either Johnson/Lysell if one of the D or other forwards don't fall.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mpass1 said:

I'm a big fan of Lysell, his first step acceleration & drive is insane. I wouldn't be disappointed if we took him

Guenther would be my pick. We need another talented scorer if we're gonna hope to compete when EP or BB gets injured

2 hours ago, PositionOfPower said:

Kent Johnson agree, if we dont draft him guarantee we will regret it. The guy is very similar to Zegras in my opinion.

I heard Bill Muckalt on 650 talk about him.  Compared him to Kane and Petey.  Said that Kents practice highlights this year were better then his own career highlights.  Lol.  Johnson sounds legit dynamic.  He will need a couple of more years of development for sure though.  From North Vancouver as well.

I'm not saying no to Kent Johnson, but I think a lot of the hype here about the Canucks taking him stems from the fact that he's a local kid. Same with Luke Hughes being Quinn's brother.

Now if guys like this ARE in fact the BPA, obviously the Canucks should take them. But its a bad idea to draft based on storyline.

Edited by Bitter Melon
  • Cheers 4

All this Johnson talk I'm not sold hes our guy. If he is I could really support the pick however McTavish ticks a lot of boxes for us. So does Svechkov think Detroit how they snuck Veleno late. He could be huge for them we need a sturdy 200ft C more than a fancy figureskating top 6. 

9 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

For another team in a heartbeat the kid is a top 10 talent. For this team with a 25 year old Demko not a chance. Way too many other holes in our roster.

Nope. Canucks or anyone else, top ten is too early to pick a goalie. Too much risk, too long to develop. But I'm old enough to remember Rick DiPietro, Dan Blackburn, Brent Krahn, Pascal Leclaire, Al Montoya, Jonathan Bernier, Riku Helenius - go ahead folks, look these guys up. Yes there was Fleury, Vasilievsky, Price, Rask. Lehtonen turned out pretty good but, but probably not worth 2nd overall. Jack Campbell is finally having a breakout, but again this is part of the risk, he took so long to develop and had to pass through waivers and Dallas lost him. NHL teams learned for a while there not to pick goalies in the first round, but GMs are copycats, and everyone wants to be first in a new trend - Vasilievsky's success seems to have reopened the doors and led to this new wave of Knight, Askarov, Wallstedt, Cossa, all of whom seem like the real deal so far, but we shall see.

13 minutes ago, hammertime said:

All this Johnson talk I'm not sold hes our guy. If he is I could really support the pick however McTavish ticks a lot of boxes for us. So does Svechkov think Detroit how they snuck Veleno late. He could be huge for them we need a sturdy 200ft C more than a fancy figureskating top 6. 

I've been watching some of the U18 games I missed on YouTube, and I'm really coming around on McTavish. The hands might not be particularly high-end, which was my main concern with his upside, but kid has vision and can really make some plays. I wouldn't mind picking him towards the end of the top ten. I still have issues with ranking him over Johnson, but I can definitely see why many people are so hesitant about Johnson. I think those concerns may be somewhat overblown; as long as Beniers, Clarke, Power, Eklund are off the board, I wouldn't be too upset with picking Johnson.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

For another team in a heartbeat the kid is a top 10 talent. For this team with a 25 year old Demko not a chance. Way too many other holes in our roster.

I'd wait 3-4 yes before picking a goalie in the 1st round.

But I would pick goalies with 2nd or 3rd round picks every year in hope to find the next diamond (Demko was a 2nd round pick).