Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

For another team in a heartbeat the kid is a top 10 talent. For this team with a 25 year old Demko not a chance. Way too many other holes in our roster.

I'd wait 3-4 yes before picking a goalie in the 1st round.

 

But I would pick goalies with 2nd or 3rd round picks every year in hope to find the next diamond (Demko was a 2nd round pick).

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, BPA said:

I'd wait 3-4 yes before picking a goalie in the 1st round.

 

But I would pick goalies with 2nd or 3rd round picks every year in hope to find the next diamond (Demko was a 2nd round pick).

I'd usually agree with this kind of tactic but with Demko locked up for 5 more years and having DiPietro almost ready as an NHL backup and Silovs developing in the minors, for this year, I'm really hoping management focuses on drafting the best RHD or center available at each pick.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure there is a BPA, unless Power and Clarke are on the top tier and then a bunch on the 2nd tier. 

 

D

Power

Clarke

Hughes

Edvinsson

Lambos

 

F

Beniers

Guenther

Eklund

Johnson

Lucius

Lysell

 

VAN's getting one of these guys, unless Benning goes off the board (Mason McTavish?).

 

I'm also assuming because Benning hasn't re-signed Ian Clark, they aren't planning on taking Wallstedt.

 

 

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BPA said:

I'd wait 3-4 yes before picking a goalie in the 1st round.

 

But I would pick goalies with 2nd or 3rd round picks every year in hope to find the next diamond (Demko was a 2nd round pick).

Those are still premium picks to spend on a position that seems pretty well covered with us having one of the better young goalies in the league. If your scouts like a goalie 5th round or later take one every draft but we should be spending our premium picks on every other position (BPA within reason so BPA between forwards and defence).

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Not sure there is a BPA, unless Power and Clarke are on the top tier and then a bunch on the 2nd tier. 

 

D

Power

Clarke

Hughes

Edvinsson

Lambos

 

F

Beniers

Guenther

Eklund

Johnson

Lucius

Lysell

 

VAN's getting one of these guys, unless Benning goes off the board (Mason McTavish?).

 

I'm also assuming because Benning hasn't re-signed Ian Clark, they aren't planning on taking Wallstedt.

 

 

I think people forget a couple drafts ago when Judd Brackett asked Benning in the 3rd round if their top goalie was there should they take him. To which Benning replied “top of the 3rd, if we had multiple 3rds, I’m not taking a goalie”. I think Benning believes the goalie future is set for a long time and can kind of put that on the back burner for awhile and maybe get lucky with a late round guy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

I think Benning believes the goalie future is set

Demko

Silovs

DiPietro (Not sure he has an NHL career - too small. My guess is he eventually becomes a hockey analyst).

 

Not sure VAN is actually set in goal, but maybe Demko is the starter for the next 10+ years and they can figure that out later? I feel taking Wallstedt with the 1st would be sort of a wasted pick.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Not sure there is a BPA, unless Power and Clarke are on the top tier and then a bunch on the 2nd tier. 

 

D

Power

Clarke

Hughes

Edvinsson

Lambos

 

F

Beniers

Guenther

Eklund

Johnson

Lucius

Lysell

 

VAN's getting one of these guys, unless Benning goes off the board (Mason McTavish?).

 

I'm also assuming because Benning hasn't re-signed Ian Clark, they aren't planning on taking Wallstedt.

 

 

Yeah just look at that list. Any of those players will be a great pick for us but obviously being able to get your choice first would be great. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Yeah just look at that list. Any of those players will be a great pick for us but obviously being able to get your choice first would be great. 

I'm just glad I'm not the GM making the pick, I would have no clue who to take if say VAN had the #4 pick and Power, Clarke and Hughes were gone.

 

Edvinsson?

Beniers?

Guenther?

Eklund?

Johnson?

 

geez, they might all be very good choices, but which one is the BPA?

 

 

  

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm just glad I'm not the GM making the pick, I would have no clue who to take if say VAN had the #4 pick and Power, Clarke and Hughes were gone.

 

Edvinsson?

Beniers?

Guenther?

Eklund?

Johnson?

 

geez, they might all be very good choices, but which one is the BPA?

 

 

  

You probably take Beniers and run. 

 

He is in the mold of a Bergeron/Horvat/Larkin type player. These are the kinda guys you win with and contribute on both ends of the ice.  

Edited by Bure_Pavel
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm just glad I'm not the GM making the pick, I would have no clue who to take if say VAN had the #4 pick and Power, Clarke and Hughes were gone.

 

Edvinsson?

Beniers?

Guenther?

Eklund?

Johnson?

 

geez, they might all be very good choices, but which one is the BPA?

 

 

  

just checking various rankings, SN, TSN, hockey writers, etc. and its all over the place. Clarke is at 3 twice, 8 and 12 :lol:

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

just checking various rankings, SN, TSN, hockey writers, etc. and its all over the place. Clarke is at 3 twice, 8 and 12 :lol:

This is a result of COVID and what the 'measures' have done to the various leagues around the hockey world. 

If you believe what most people say about JB, and I'm not arguing he is/isn't - that he's a superior analyst of amateur talent - then one would have to assume he has the advantage in a draft such as this year where for many hockey executives/analysts it's going to be like throwing darts at a board hoping for the best.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

You probably take Beniers and run. 

Can't say that's a bad pick lol

 

I think for positional purposes only I'd take Edvinsson, some compare him to Hedman. 

 

Edvinsson - Hughes

Juolevi - Rathbone

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Fanuck said:

This is a result of COVID and what the 'measures' have done to the various leagues around the hockey world. 

If you believe what most people say about JB, and I'm not arguing he is/isn't - that he's a superior analyst of amateur talent - then one would have to assume he has the advantage in a draft such as this year where for many hockey executives/analysts it's going to be like throwing darts at a board hoping for the best.  

Jim's good, but he's not a guru, he's got his misses too. 

 

it'll be really interesting to see what GMs do this draft. I'm betting they pick for need from 3rd overall onward. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hearing there could be an announcement later today - could Benning be getting fired? 

 

They might want to do this early, so the new GM and his team can prepare for the Draft.  Ahh maybe wishful thinking...we'll see

Link to post
Share on other sites

New want, if we end up around 9-10 and miss out on Clarke I hope we trade down 5-10 spots and draft this kid. 

 

He can skate, has patience, good size. Everything you want in a steady top four RHD. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NUCKER67 said:

Can't say that's a bad pick lol

 

I think for positional purposes only I'd take Edvinsson, some compare him to Hedman. 

 

Edvinsson - Hughes

Juolevi - Rathbone

 

 

 

I do like Edvinsson but a lot more risk there as he is still pretty raw. Hedman put up 21pts in 43 games, Edvinsson has 1pt in 10 games. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hearing there could be an announcement later today - could Benning be getting fired? 

 

They might want to do this early, so the new GM and his team can prepare for the Draft.  Ahh maybe wishful thinking...we'll see

Hearing through what outlet? 

 

There's two games left in this forgettable season - what meaningful difference would that amount of time make to the new manager if that's the route they're going? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Hearing through what outlet? 

 

There's two games left in this forgettable season - what meaningful difference would that amount of time make to the new manager if that's the route they're going? 

Rintoul (SN650) mentioned it a little while ago that the Canucks will be making an announcement later today. Maybe it's just to announcement Geoff Courtnall as the new whatever. My hope is a real change.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I do like Edvinsson but a lot more risk there as he is still pretty raw. Hedman put up 21pts in 43 games, Edvinsson has 1pt in 10 games. 

Nope, he doesn't sound like Hedman lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...