The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

14 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

A Hughes - Hughes pairing would be fun to watch for the next 10 years. 

Amazing, and could really push Jack to want to play here

3 Hughes Bros., be like the Hansens bros. from Slap Shot, only way more skilled and way less physical :bigblush:  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

This is a result of COVID and what the 'measures' have done to the various leagues around the hockey world. 

If you believe what most people say about JB, and I'm not arguing he is/isn't - that he's a superior analyst of amateur talent - then one would have to assume he has the advantage in a draft such as this year where for many hockey executives/analysts it's going to be like throwing darts at a board hoping for the best.  

I'm always curious about how much say the GMs actually have on the assessments. With every GM you see clear patterns emerging, most particularly regarding which leagues and areas they draft from. My understanding is that's because those are the regions where their most trusted scouts are based. So for GMs I think it's really more about evaluating talent evaluators.

17 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

I'm always curious about how much say the GMs actually have on the assessments. With every GM you see clear patterns emerging, most particularly regarding which leagues and areas they draft from. My understanding is that's because those are the regions where their most trusted scouts are based. So for GMs I think it's really more about evaluating talent evaluators.

Definitely think you're on to something there HoH.  Realistically, no GM could manage to follow their own NHL/AHL club and do all the amateur scouting required for a 7 round draft with over 200 players; therefore, as you point out, they have to rely quite heavily on their scouting staff to do a lot of the leg-work (in-person scouting).  I'm sure teams prioritize the leagues they want to recruit from and/or the traits in players they're looking for allocate resources accordingly. 

If the season ended with VAN winning 1 of their last 2, before the lottery of course, 

1. BUF - Clarke

2. ANA - Power

3. SEA - Wallstedt (WOW!)

4. NJ - Hughes (Damn! They got the 2 Hughes bros.)

5. CBJ - Johnson

6. DET - Edvinsson (they love their Swedes)

7. SJ - Beniers

8. LA - Guenther

9. VAN - Eklund (we like 'em too)

• Cheers 2

50 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

If the season ended with VAN winning 1 of their last 2, before the lottery of course, 

1. BUF - Clarke

2. ANA - Power

3. SEA - Wallstedt (WOW!)

4. NJ - Hughes (Damn! They got the 2 Hughes bros.)

5. CBJ - Johnson

6. DET - Edvinsson (they love their Swedes)

7. SJ - Beniers

8. LA - Guenther

9. VAN - Eklund (we like 'em too)

1. BUF - Clarke

2. ANA - Power

3. SEA - Beniers

4. NJ - Hughes (Does Quinn push for UFA in the future to join his brothers?)

5. CBJ - Edvinsson

6. DET - Wallstedt (Seems like a Yzerman pick)

7. SJ - Eklund

8. LA - Guenther

9. VAN - Johnson but I can see Benning breaking my heart and going Lysell (Lysell is a great player just a fanboy of the bc product)

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

1. BUF - Clarke

2. ANA - Power

3. SEA - Beniers

5. CBJ - Edvinsson

7. SJ - Eklund

8. LA - Guenther

9. VAN - Johnson but I can see Benning breaking my heart and going Lysell (Lysell is a great player just a fanboy of the bc product)

Trade up and get Guenther. Need another pure goal scorer to make our third line dangerous

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1

If we are picking 9 or 10 and the following players are off the board:

Clarke

Power

Beniers

Hughes 

Edvinsson

Eklund

Guenther

Johnson 

Then my choice would be Mason McTavish. He has had a great second half of the season, playoffs and U18 tourny. Kinda get a canadian Mika Zibanejad vibe from him.    

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

what does the top 15/top 20 look like, now that we're likely out of the top 10 and have 3 year development period before seeing the play we draft, i can see them trading down a few spots to shed a contract. Theres a chance the picks gone outright now in a trade, can't see Benning waiting for something 3 years away.

1 minute ago, internationalhippy said:

what does the top 15/top 20 look like, now that we're likely out of the top 10 and have 3 year development period before seeing the play we draft, i can see them trading down a few spots to shed a contract. Theres a chance the picks gone outright now in a trade, can't see Benning waiting for something 3 years away.

We’re drafting 9th/10th prior to the lotto depending on the last game. 

Only way we are drafting outside the top 10 is if someone behind us wins the lotto which is unlikely past 10. 

So odds are we draft 9th-10th. 

3 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We’re drafting 9th/10th prior to the lotto depending on the last game. 

Only way we are drafting outside the top 10 is if someone behind us wins the lotto which is unlikely past 10. 

So odds are we draft 9th-10th. 

They way I look at it, there are 12 really great players in the draft. Would I have preferred to have our choice of the crop and loose all these games? Sure. Who wouldn't. 

Am I proud of our guys for finishing strong in what will likely be the hardest year of hockey in their careers? You bet your ass I am. 

Every year teams go rouge and go off the board. No one saw Seider (except me, subtle brag) as early as he went. He ended up being a huge steal in that draft. Our boy at 10 was in the talks about a top 3 selection all year and dropped hard. That's looking pretty great for us right now. The draft isn't set in stone.

We are going to get a really great players in our spot, I can feel it in my bones.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, shayster007 said:

They way I look at it, there are 12 really great players in the draft. Would I have preferred to have our choice of the crop and loose all these games? Sure. Who wouldn't. 

Am I proud of our guys for finishing strong in what will likely be the hardest year of hockey in their careers? You bet your ass I am. 

Every year teams go rouge and go off the board. No one saw Seider (except me, subtle brag) as early as he went. He ended up being a huge steal in that draft. Our boy at 10 was in the talks about a top 3 selection all year and dropped hard. That's looking pretty great for us right now. The draft isn't set in stone.

We are going to get a really great players in our spot, I can feel it in my bones.

9.3% chance to draft top 2. 4.5% chance to win 1st overall. 

I feel all the top D Power/Hughes/Clarke/Edvinsson will all be gone before we pick. Top forwards might be gone too Beniers/Eklund/Guenther. 

We will probably have Lysell/Johnson/etc to choose from.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, flickyoursedin said:

1. BUF - Clarke

2. ANA - Power

3. SEA - Beniers

5. CBJ - Edvinsson

7. SJ - Eklund

8. LA - Guenther

If it is Buffalo, then  theywill go either power or beniers. They are strong on the right side. Power would be a good influence on dahlin.

19 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

9.3% chance to draft top 2. 4.5% chance to win 1st overall. 

I feel all the top D Power/Hughes/Clarke/Edvinsson will all be gone before we pick. Top forwards might be gone too Beniers/Eklund/Guenther. 

We will probably have Lysell/Johnson/etc to choose from.

I would have loved Clarke, don't get me wrong. But this years consolation prize being a pick between those 2 players isn't bad at all. I'm a huge fan of the way Lysell plays the game, and Johnson would be a great story being a local kid who has, in my opinion, one of the higher ceilings in the draft.