The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

If Clarke fell out of the top 3, I would trade up for him. Watching the NFL draft, teams treated next years' draft picks like gold. We could entice a team by trading our 1st this year and 2nd next year--at least as a basis for a potential trade.

Ugh, all this talk about the consensus and all the various draft rankings is going to give me ulcers. Come on guys, I know we love democracy and equality, but we're embarrassing ourselves. Not all draft rankings are created equal. Do I really need to say this? It seems I really, really do, so I'll say it again. Not all draft rankings are created equal. If we're worrying so much about what every random list says, of course nobody is going to know anything, and of course people are going to think "maybe Brandt Clarke will fall to 9th".

Obviously the best thing you can do is to just watch the players. Doesn't matter how good you are at scouting, just watching will give you a far better idea than reading lists, and of course the more you watch the better an idea you'll have. There are tons of shift-by-shifts on youtube this year from DevilsInTheDetails, as well as all the U18 games from TaiwanHockey. Hockey Canada puts up the U17 and WJAC games on their website (except for the medal games, which are on TSN), and you can always find the 5 Nations tournaments online somewhere if you look hard enough. Oh and all MHL and VHL games are on YouTube.

Of course not everybody is going to have the time or even the desire to watch a ton of prospects, so the next best thing you can do is to find a couple of sources you trust, and put most/all of your eggs in those baskets. The ways to do this are first to just go back and look at their track records, and then also just read their analyses and see if they actually watch the prospects and know what they're talking about. Are they just making trivial platitudes, comparisons and superlatives? Or are they making specific, nuanced, in-depth analysis? And even better yet, if you've seen the prospects yourself, does the analysis you're reading jive with what you've seen with your own eyes?

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Ugh, all this talk about the consensus and all the various draft rankings is going to give me ulcers. Come on guys, I know we love democracy and equality, but we're embarrassing ourselves. Not all draft rankings are created equal. Do I really need to say this? It seems I really, really do, so I'll say it again. Not all draft rankings are created equal. If we're worrying so much about what every random list says, of course nobody is going to know anything, and of course people are going to think "maybe Brandt Clarke will fall to 9th".

Obviously the best thing you can do is to just watch the players. Doesn't matter how good you are at scouting, just watching will give you a far better idea than reading lists, and of course the more you watch the better an idea you'll have. There are tons of shift-by-shifts on youtube this year from DevilsInTheDetails, as well as all the U18 games from TaiwanHockey. Hockey Canada puts up the U17 and WJAC games on their website (except for the medal games, which are on TSN), and you can always find the 5 Nations tournaments online somewhere if you look hard enough. Oh and all MHL and VHL games are on YouTube.

Of course not everybody is going to have the time or even the desire to watch a ton of prospects, so the next best thing you can do is to find a couple of sources you trust, and put most/all of your eggs in those baskets. The ways to do this are first to just go back and look at their track records, and then also just read their analyses and see if they actually watch the prospects and know what they're talking about. Are they just making trivial platitudes, comparisons and superlatives? Or are they making specific, nuanced, in-depth analysis? And even better yet, if you've seen the prospects yourself, does the analysis you're reading jive with what you've seen with your own eyes?

This can't be upvoted enough.

• Cheers 1

William Eklund voted SHL rookie of the year! If he fell to the Canucks pick would be a fantastic add. Smaller type forward but can play C/LW, D-1 numbers comparable to Nicklas Backstrom. Also a stylistic comparison to Marner, Ehlers and Zetterberg. So start the hype train. Really hope that if the top 4 d go before our pick Benning wouldn’t pass on a better forward just to select a lesser dman. Hopefully learned his lesson from the Juolevi over Tkachuk draft. There are some really good forward prospects in this top 10!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

William Eklund voted SHL rookie of the year! If he fell to the Canucks pick would be a fantastic add. Smaller type forward but can play C/LW, D-1 numbers comparable to Nicklas Backstrom. Also a stylistic comparison to Marner, Ehlers and Zetterberg. So start the hype train. Really hope that if the top 4 d go before our pick Benning wouldn’t pass on a better forward just to select a lesser dman. Hopefully learned his lesson from the Juolevi over Tkachuk draft. There are some really good forward prospects in this top 10!

I'd take Eklund just so I can use the Eklund rating system.

E5.

Lol.

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Still hopeful someone like Clarke can slip to 9.

If not Johnson looks pretty good. Hopefully this years Zegras.

18 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Most mocks have him top 3. I wish he’d drop but I doubt it. The only one of the top D that might drop is Edvinsson but even then he might not even fall that far to 9th+ overall. 

Lysell/Johnson/McTavish are in our range. These guys I could see a team going ‘off-the-board’ in the top 7-8 too if I were to make a presumption. 

Either way we are in for a decent player. 

Clarke won't fall out of the Top 5.  Maybe if he was a LHD, but really... a projected top pairing RHD with size, can play in all situations, can skate, and can read the play well?  I don't see how he won't go Top 3 to be honest.

If any players drop, it'll be Edvinsson or Guenther.  Edvinsson because he is quietly good at what he does, not flashy enough to garner the attention for Top 3 status.  Guenther because of his poor showing in the U18.

5 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

Not a Podkolzin fan?

I wanted Caufield, Podkolzin was my backup choice. 

But if we draft a prolific scorer this year like Guenther, then I'll be happy we grabbed Pods, because he strikes me as Hogs 2.0. 

Edited by eeeeergh
  • Cheers 1

Looking at this year draft, i think there will be a shift and movement of rankings on picks. Lots of armchair guys seem to really like Fabian Lysell's game. I like his game but I do think he needs maybe 2 years before he is NHL ready.

Honestly, I am looking at centre depth as a place to address. I am okay with D at the moment with the likely graduation of Rathbone and Woo to follow up. Some centres that I think could be good ones to get are as follows: Kent Johnson, Mason McTavish and Fyodor Svechkov. I think Svechkov can very well be the "Moritz Seider" of the draft. 

Good draft this year, a lot of skilled players in that top 10. 

• Cheers 1

My Mock Draft at end of season:

1. Buffalo Owen Power, LHD

2. Anahiem Matthew Beniers, C/W

3. Seattle William Eklund, C/W

4. New Jersey Luke Hughes, LHD

5. Columbus Kent Johnson, C

6. Detriot Simon Edvinsson, LHD

7. San Jose Brandt Clarke, RHD

8. LA Dylan Guenther, C/W

9. Vancouver Mason McTavish, C

10 Ottawa Chaz Lucius, C

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Bure_Pavel said:

My Mock Draft at end of season:

1. Buffalo Owen Power, LHD

2. Anahiem Matthew Beniers, C/W

3. Seattle William Eklund, C/W

4. New Jersey Luke Hughes, LHD

5. Columbus Kent Johnson, C

6. Detriot Simon Edvinsson, LHD

7. San Jose Brandt Clarke, RHD

8. LA Dylan Guenther, C/W

9. Vancouver Mason McTavish, C

10 Ottawa Chaz Lucius, C

I would be absolutely ecstatic to grab MacT 2.0 with the 9th over all pick

Edited by MikeBossy
  • Vintage 1

So we have 5.4% odds to win the 1st overall pick, and an additional 5.4% odds to win 2nd overall, making it 10.8% odds to land in the top 2. Furthermore, if Arizona wins either spot, they will redraw--due to them violating the Combine Testing Policy--which will increase our chances ever so slightly.

I'm okay with picking #2. 

https://www.tsn.ca/full-2021-nhl-draft-lottery-odds-1.1642540

Edited by Nave