The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

35 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Yup was very impressed. Haven't followed Michigan but I'll have to do some research as Johnson is projected to go high too.

Just love his compete, everytime I've seen him play I've come away impressed. And I imagine he could play winger if needed too. No doubt a driver of a line/team. Probably better than Turcotte too honestly.

As a young player breaking in he could be a great 3C, then when he gets better shift him or Pettersson to wing in the top 6.

They play this Saturday (11am) and Sunday (2pm) against Wisconsin. Definitely worth a watch, as another poster mentioned they have Beniers, Johnson and Power, all pretty sure top ten picks, and it's not outside the realm of possibility they all go top five. Plus Cam York, Thomas Bordeleau, Brendan Brisson, John Beecher and Canucks pick Jacob Truscott. And on top of that, Wisconsin has Cole Caufield and Dylan Holloway.

2 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

For anyone interested, here's my current top 20, with some writeups.

1. Matthew Beniers C - Floor is very high, ceiling might not be Hart/Art Ross candidate, but could be in the Toews/Bergeron stratosphere of two-way franchise centers.

2. Brandt Clarke RD - Elite all-around defenseman. The safest pick of the D in this draft, but also high upside. Physical, good gap, good stick, high hockey IQ, phenomenal breakout passer under pressure - not as likely as some of the other top D in this draft to skate it up ice himself, although I have seen him do it successfully at the pro level when needed. The first game I saw him at U17s, with his team down a goal with a couple minutes left, he threw a big open ice hit to kill a rush dead, and then in the dying seconds he took the point shot that was tipped in to tie the game. A perfect microcosm of how he impacts the game all over the ice. Not sure just how high the offensive ceiling is. He's not a high risk player, he picks his spots carefully. His stick skills are nothing exciting; his best offensive tools are his IQ, vision and dynamic/deceptive skating - keeps opponents on their toes with quick, shifty pivots. Reminds me of Josh Morrissey and Drew Doughty.

3. Carson Lambos LD - Comes with big question marks, but his upside is as high as any defenseman in the draft. Dominant defensively at U17s and in SM Sarja. Matched against top lines at 16 in WHL. Not afraid to make moves and attack defenders in the offensive zone as well as forecheckers in his own zone. Loves to try hitting the stretch pass to a streaking forward. But there is definite cause for concern with some of his decision-making and trying to force things offensively. I can't help but see shades of P.K. Subban.

4. Luke Hughes LD - Elite skater, solid defensively. Pro-style game. Better offensive upside than Clarke and safer than Lambos. He doesn't force the issue offensively like Lambos, but he creates more offense than Clarke, just by supporting and staying above the puck and letting things come to him. Unlike his brother he doesn't sacrifice defense to create offense - he picks his spots well, and just always seem to find ways to contribute offensively without putting himself in compromised positions. Upside would be something like Duncan Keith or Roman Josi. Obviously that's a longshot, but they weren't expected to be superstars either, but elite skating and just doing every little thing the right way goes a long way.

5. Kent Johnson C/LW - Creativity is the name of the game. His talent level is immense and he's always trying things, never boring or predictable. Loves to curl back entering the offensive zone, but he'll also gladly spin off a forcheck in the defensive zone. Certainly not a north-south player. I don't mean to overplay how not-coach-friendly he is though - this isn't Antonio Stranges; he's more in the Cole Perfetti category of players who are going to drive pro coaches crazy. I made no qualms about not being a big Perfetti fan last year, but Johnson uses his teammates better and he's a better skater, not to mention 3 inches taller. Best case scenario might be something like Claude Giroux.

6. Owen Power LD - Size, skill, hockey sense are all exceptional. He's very mobile for his size, but his skating is most impressive straight ahead. His quickness and agility are slightly worrisome, as fast NCAAers tend to beat him to the outside and on retrievals. Also needs to be more aggressive and physical. He absolutely loves to lead the rush. Dougie Hamilton would be a reasonable comparison.

7. Cole Sillinger C - A goal-scoring two-way center most known for his shot and sky-high hockey IQ. I saw a scouting report recently questioning his defensive ability, but it seems like everywhere I look he's disrupting his opponents' offense or transition. He's always wrecking havoc in front of the opposing goalie, and he's a brilliant shot-tipper. Doesn't wow with his passing or stick skills, and I'm not sure how high is the offensive upside, but he's a pro-style player and a coach's dream. I see a little bit of Joe Pavelski in him.

8. William Eklund LW/C - Probably the most dynamic offensive player in the draft. Constantly darting and shifting around - a bit like Rossi in last year's draft, but a more explosive skater. It looks like his skates are spring-loaded. Also like Rossi, he loves battling it out in front of the net despite his small stature. He sometimes reminds me of Johnny Gaudreau.

9. Dylan Guenther LW - North-south winger with good size, good speed, high compete, and a well-rounded arsenal of skills. Extremely dangerous one on one because he can beat guys outside with his speed and strength, or deke them, or shoot through them, all with high success rates. Pacioretty or Taylor Hall would be decent loose comparables.

10. Chaz Lucius C

11. Simon Edvinsson LD

12. Aatu Räty C

13. Fabian Lysell RW

14. Fyodor Svechkov C - I know, I know, I'm a lone voice in the wilderness here. But I thought he was Russia's best all-around forward at U17 Challenge, and second best at 5 Nation U17s, behind Danila Yurov. Not as purely skilled or as high upside as Chibrikov, but he brings a more NHL-adaptable game. He's good in the corners, wins battles, gets to the net, he's responsible defensively, thinks and sees the game very well. His skillset is quite high end, though not elite, but he's also an incredibly clever offensive player.

15. Zach Bolduc C

16. Jesper Wallstedt G

17. Nikita Chibrikov RW

18. Oskar Olausson LW/RW

19. Xavier Bourgault C

20. Corson Ceulemans - RD

Great list. Thank you.

Every draft I allow myself to dream big, and this year those dreams consist of winning a lottery pick and taking Clarke, and then somehow getting another first round pick and taking Wallstedt. 

Loading up the back end like that could be a proper recipe for future success. 

• Cheers 1

18 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Yup was very impressed. Haven't followed Michigan but I'll have to do some research as Johnson is projected to go high too.

Just love his compete, everytime I've seen him play I've come away impressed. And I imagine he could play winger if needed too. No doubt a driver of a line/team. Probably better than Turcotte too honestly.

As a young player breaking in he could be a great 3C, then when he gets better shift him or Pettersson to wing in the top 6.

Canucks 2020 prospect Jacob Truscott is also playing well in Michigan too.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

1. Matthew Beniers C - Floor is very high, ceiling might not be Hart/Art Ross candidate, but could be in the Toews/Bergeron stratosphere of two-way franchise centers.

2. Brandt Clarke RD - Elite all-around defenseman. The safest pick of the D in this draft, but also high upside. Physical, good gap, good stick, high hockey IQ, phenomenal breakout passer under pressure - not as likely as some of the other top D in this draft to skate it up ice himself, although I have seen him do it successfully at the pro level when needed. The first game I saw him at U17s, with his team down a goal with a couple minutes left, he threw a big open ice hit to kill a rush dead, and then in the dying seconds he took the point shot that was tipped in to tie the game. A perfect microcosm of how he impacts the game all over the ice. Not sure just how high the offensive ceiling is. He's not a high risk player, he picks his spots carefully. His stick skills are nothing exciting; his best offensive tools are his IQ, vision and dynamic/deceptive skating - keeps opponents on their toes with quick, shifty pivots. Reminds me of Josh Morrissey and Drew Doughty.

3. Carson Lambos LD - Comes with big question marks, but his upside is as high as any defenseman in the draft. Dominant defensively at U17s and in SM Sarja. Matched against top lines at 16 in WHL. Not afraid to make moves and attack defenders in the offensive zone as well as forecheckers in his own zone. Loves to try hitting the stretch pass to a streaking forward. But there is definite cause for concern with some of his decision-making and trying to force things offensively. I can't help but see shades of P.K. Subban.

4. Luke Hughes LD - Elite skater, solid defensively. Pro-style game. Better offensive upside than Clarke and safer than Lambos. He doesn't force the issue offensively like Lambos, but he creates more offense than Clarke, just by supporting and staying above the puck and letting things come to him. Unlike his brother he doesn't sacrifice defense to create offense - he picks his spots well, and just always seem to find ways to contribute offensively without putting himself in compromised positions. Upside would be something like Duncan Keith or Roman Josi. Obviously that's a longshot, but they weren't expected to be superstars either, but elite skating and just doing every little thing the right way goes a long way.

5. Kent Johnson C/LW - Creativity is the name of the game. His talent level is immense and he's always trying things, never boring or predictable. Loves to curl back entering the offensive zone, but he'll also gladly spin off a forcheck in the defensive zone. Certainly not a north-south player. I don't mean to overplay how not-coach-friendly he is though - this isn't Antonio Stranges; he's more in the Cole Perfetti category of players who are going to drive pro coaches crazy. I made no qualms about not being a big Perfetti fan last year, but Johnson uses his teammates better and he's a better skater, not to mention 3 inches taller. Best case scenario might be something like Claude Giroux.

6. Owen Power LD - Size, skill, hockey sense are all exceptional. He's very mobile for his size, but his skating is most impressive straight ahead. His quickness and agility are slightly worrisome, as fast NCAAers tend to beat him to the outside and on retrievals. Also needs to be more aggressive and physical. He absolutely loves to lead the rush. Dougie Hamilton would be a reasonable comparison.

7. Cole Sillinger C - A goal-scoring two-way center most known for his shot and sky-high hockey IQ. I saw a scouting report recently questioning his defensive ability, but it seems like everywhere I look he's disrupting his opponents' offense or transition. He's always wrecking havoc in front of the opposing goalie, and he's a brilliant shot-tipper. Doesn't wow with his passing or stick skills, and I'm not sure how high is the offensive upside, but he's a pro-style player and a coach's dream. I see a little bit of Joe Pavelski in him.

8. William Eklund LW/C - Probably the most dynamic offensive player in the draft. Constantly darting and shifting around - a bit like Rossi in last year's draft, but a more explosive skater. It looks like his skates are spring-loaded. Also like Rossi, he loves battling it out in front of the net despite his small stature. He sometimes reminds me of Johnny Gaudreau.

9. Dylan Guenther LW - North-south winger with good size, good speed, high compete, and a well-rounded arsenal of skills. Extremely dangerous one on one because he can beat guys outside with his speed and strength, or deke them, or shoot through them, all with high success rates. Pacioretty or Taylor Hall would be decent loose comparables.

10. Chaz Lucius C

11. Simon Edvinsson LD

12. Aatu Räty C

13. Fabian Lysell RW

14. Fyodor Svechkov C - I know, I know, I'm a lone voice in the wilderness here. But I thought he was Russia's best all-around forward at U17 Challenge, and second best at 5 Nation U17s, behind Danila Yurov. Not as purely skilled or as high upside as Chibrikov, but he brings a more NHL-adaptable game. He's good in the corners, wins battles, gets to the net, he's responsible defensively, thinks and sees the game very well. His skillset is quite high end, though not elite, but he's also an incredibly clever offensive player.

15. Zach Bolduc C

16. Jesper Wallstedt G

17. Nikita Chibrikov RW

18. Oskar Olausson LW/RW

19. Xavier Bourgault C

I've seen speed/skating as a knock on Eklund, in that its not super high end - not that it's bad. Seems like a super high IQ player with a complete game, however.

My early thought is maybe hes a complementary driver of a good team, if that makes sense. Ala a Horvat/Boeser rather than a Hughes/Pettersson.

Granted I'm just learning about him. What do u think? 

8 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I've seen speed/skating as a knock on Eklund, in that its not super high end - not that it's bad. Seems like a super high IQ player with a complete game, however.

My early thought is maybe hes a complementary driver of a good team, if that makes sense. Ala a Horvat/Boeser rather than a Hughes/Pettersson.

Well, a couple things. Eklund is one of the players in my top ten I've seen the least. Saw one game at Hlinkas last year and all or part of three SHL games this year. So I'm far from an expert.

The other thing is, I try to be as specific as I can with my assessments. "Good or bad skater", or any shade on the spectrum, only says so much. There are a lot of different aspects to skating skills. This is why I brought up Rossi, who got a lot of criticism about his skating last year because he's not particularly straight line fast. But as far as agility, edgework, shiftiness, I thought he was among the better skaters in the class.

Eklund is kind of similar in that regard. I noticed this thing he does a couple times where he'll be behind or beside the net, and open up into a 10-2, and explode laterally into a sort of half circle motion, which allows him to move from the front of net to behind the net or vice versa with astonishing quickness. I mean, it's not exactly reinventing the wheel, but it was pretty stunning to see an 18 year old in the third best league in the world with the confidence to move around like that.

Also the first time I watched him this season, I was flipping back and forth between Frölunda and Djurgårdens games, and I tuned in halfway through the first and found 72 just in time to see him falling-spinarama-backhand pass across the crease, Todd Bertuzzi style. Didn't score off it but I knew instantly this was gonna be a fun player to watch.

But yeah, I just haven't watched enough to make any predictions with much confidence. Just that there are some raw tools that suggest an electric offensive player. Would need to watch a few more games to get a better read on things like hockey sense, defensive play and other intangibles.

But I will say, I've seen a few different lists, including one of my most trusted sources on prospects, that have him ranked first overall.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

Well, a couple things. Eklund is one of the players in my top ten I've seen the least. Saw one game at Hlinkas last year and all or part of three SHL games this year. So I'm far from an expert.

The other thing is, I try to be as specific as I can with my assessments. "Good or bad skater", or any shade on the spectrum, only says so much. There are a lot of different aspects to skating skills. This is why I brought up Rossi, who got a lot of criticism about his skating last year because he's not particularly straight line fast. But as far as agility, edgework, shiftiness, I thought he was among the better skaters in the class.

Eklund is kind of similar in that regard. I noticed this thing he does a couple times where he'll be behind or beside the net, and open up into a 10-2, and explode laterally into a sort of half circle motion, which allows him to move from the front of net to behind the net or vice versa with astonishing quickness. I mean, it's not exactly reinventing the wheel, but it was pretty stunning to see an 18 year old in the third best league in the world with the confidence to move around like that.

Also the first time I watched him this season, I was flipping back and forth between Frölunda and Djurgårdens games, and I tuned in halfway through the first and found 72 just in time to see him falling-spinarama-backhand pass across the crease, Todd Bertuzzi style. Didn't score off it but I knew instantly this was gonna be a fun player to watch.

But yeah, I just haven't watched enough to make any predictions with much confidence. Just that there are some raw tools that suggest an electric offensive player. Would need to watch a few more games to get a better read on things like hockey sense, defensive play and other intangibles.

But I will say, I've seen a few different lists, including one of my most trusted sources on prospects, that have him ranked first overall.

Some of my favourite posts on these boards are these ones from posters who follow lots of prospects. Makes it so fun to follow along and play out all the scenarios in your head. Really appreciate it. On that note, anyone hear recently from Snypers? He was also another poster who had great takes in the prospect sections. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Looking more and more like a top 5 pick. With Detroit and Ottawa picking in the top 5 you know they'll want a good defenceman to build around so Beniers might slip through to us, although he'd be the perfect center for Seattle to build off.

Either way there's no generational talent but we could snag a solid young center to play in the 3C spot and eventually take the reins from Bo, or a solid young left D. With Hughes and Juolevi, Luke Hughes or Power may have to slowly work their way up and we might need to try one of the kids on their off-side. Depends who falls to us but JB will take the BPA and hopefully not make a drastic trade.

3 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

If we somehow get Owen Power this season will be worth every second. I think he will be the closest thing to Pronger we have seen in a long time. 

With the way the season is going, Canucks have a chance to pick between 1st - 6th.  They currently are the 3rd worst team.  But Seattle gets slotted in 3rd.  So we get bumped to 4th.

48 minutes ago, BPA said:

With the way the season is going, Canucks have a chance to pick between 1st - 6th.  They currently are the 3rd worst team.  But Seattle gets slotted in 3rd.  So we get bumped to 4th.

It’s still early.  We could still yet get #1...lol.  There’s talk about the draft changing up the lottery odds this year so  the worst teams have a better chance at the top 3 picks.  That’s us.

I like Beniers.  Luke Hughes would be a great pickup as well.

Great discussions but can any of these prospects actually play with (a still developing/maturing) JV cause he seems to need an Adam Oates that does the processing and he just finishes it like Brett Hull.  

Preferably, the best bpa from Sweden cause we seem to just be good at drafting Swedes or (local kid) Kent Johnson....

On 2/9/2021 at 10:49 PM, HighOnHockey said:

10. Chaz Lucius C

11. Simon Edvinsson LD

12. Aatu Räty C

13. Fabian Lysell RW

15. Zach Bolduc C

16. Jesper Wallstedt G

17. Nikita Chibrikov RW

18. Oskar Olausson LW/RW

19. Xavier Bourgault C

Awesome write up, if you were JB and the Canucks were to draft 5th (cause despite the standing, JB has never drafted higher than 5th) who would you pick ?

Just wondering if Cole Sillinger is related to Mike Sillinger ?

Edited by ShawnAntoski

17 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Awesome write up, if you were JB and the Canucks were to draft 5th (cause despite the standing, JB has never drafted higher than 5th) who would you pick ?

Owen Power or Brandt Clarke assuming either are still available.

2 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yup, Mike Sillinger's son. He had another two assists tonight, by the way. Up to 9 goals and 8 assists in 10 games in the USHL.

Well, obviously you always pick BPA, and it will depend who's been picked. I would assume Beniers, Clarke and Power will be picked by number five. I'm not such a big fan of Power personally, but I expect he'll go very early. Similar to the situation with Byfield last year, where Raymond, Stuetzle and Holtz were clearly better players at the time of the draft, but size is everything in the NHL, and when you account for what could be down the road with a 6'5 center, Byfield was a more enticing choice to many (certainly at least to L.A.'s scouting staff). It's a little different this year since Power is a year older than the other top D prospects, but pretty similar - you see better skills and more exciting potential in some of the others, but NHL scouts just aren't going to be able to pass up on the what-might-be of a 6'5 defenseman who can skate the puck like Power.

Anyway, I'm a pretty big fan of Kent Johnson too, but I guess it is pretty clear that the team's biggest need is a defensive stalwart. Assuming Clarke and Power are off the table, that would leave Hughes or Lambos. That's a really tough call. I think with Lambos you're getting a better chance at a real workhorse who can play big minutes against other team's top players and on the PK, but there's also more risk that he busts outright. I'd say Hughes is a safer bet to at least be a good NHL player, but he might be a bit more of an offensive specialist. As I said, he's a much better defensive defenseman than his brother, and I do think there's an outside chance that he can develop into something like a Josi or Keith or Niedermeyer, but that's not what you're banking on if you draft him.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

I think it would be an improvement to the current lottery system if the NHL decides to adjust the lottery system as proposed - below -. Vancouver Canucks might benefit from this adjustment if they finish the season at the bottom of the standings.

TSN: The 2021 NHL draft and the draft lottery are up in the air. There is a draft date, but it could be changed. Pierre LeBrun said that some GM who’ve been wanting the draft lottery system changed. The NHL said to them to come up with some potential options.

“Well here is where it has gone, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirming to me that the league is working on changing the format for the Draft Lottery and something is going to be presented to the Board of Governors here sooner rather than later.

Now, that’s as far as he wanted to go, because they’re still working on it, so we don’t know exactly what those changes will be, but we assume from talking to other people around the league, that it’s probably going to augment the chances of the bottom teams of getting that first overall pick. There are a lot of people around the league that simply felt that a team like Detroit, undergoing a real rebuild, 23 points behind the 30th-place team last year, should not have been picking fourth. So, look for that type of change and perhaps other parameters in the lottery to also change and I think it’s a long time coming for some teams who felt the pendulum had gone too far the other way.”

Darren Dreger said that currently, the 2021 NHL draft isn’t a priority as there are more pressing things that need to dealt with. The NHL does want to know with the GMS are thinking, if they’d want to move it back or not. The NHL has discussed internally about three scenarios.

“One of them is just maintaining status quo, host the draft in July no matter what the playing status is of this year’s draft-eligible players.

Another one, push the draft to December, January, buy some time to scout players, but this is not a preferred option by the clubs.

The preferred option as we suggested last week, is move the 2021 Draft scheduled for July into the summer of 2022 and host back-to-back drafts. Now, high priority issues for all general managers and their scouting departments, but not necessarily top priority for the commissioner’s office.”

On 2/10/2021 at 11:25 AM, Smashian Kassian said:

The thing that impresses me most about Eklund is how relentless of a checker he is he reminds me so much of Hoglander but with even more offensive potential. He fits very well with the culture we are growing here with Bo, Nils, Pete, Motte, Podkolzin.

I'm not worried about his skating if he's walking around guys in the SHL like they are table hockey. 

I would have him #2 on my list behind Luke and ahead of Power.

1 Luke one does not pass on the chance to unite the Hughes bro's

2 Eklund Stated above the kids filthy IMO top fwd in the draft

3 Power yes please

4 Edvinson at 6'4 this kid can skate, shoot, hit, calmly distribute the puck. Probably need to be patient with him to add bulk. Huge upside great tools.

5 Wallstedt Yes I would take the goalie at 5 he's that good

After 5 I would be happy with any of the following. In no particular order. 

6-8 Clarke Activated RHD maybe not the best fit but a BPA scenario

6-8 Johnson Deaks for days not sure if he will get away with it in the show but man he's fun to watch. 

6-8 Raty C Early struggles his stock will rise again

The safe picks

9/10 Beniers 2 way C. 

9/10 Lambo LD does all the right things you want to see.

Edited by hammertime
  • Like 1