The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

This my personal list, in order, of the players that I’d love to see the Canucks pick:

Brandt Clarke, RHD

Matthew Beniers, C/W

Owen Power, LHD

Luke Hughes, LHD

William Eklund, C/W

Kent Johnson, C

Simon Edvinsson, LHD

Dylan Guenther, C/W

Mason McTavish, C

Fabian Lysell, RW

Chaz Lucius, C

Cole Sillinger, LW

Corson Ceulemans, RHD

It’s going to be very interesting to see where the goalie, Jesper Wallstedt is picked. That could bump a very good player down to us!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, YearoftheNuck said:

This my personal list, in order, of the players that I’d love to see the Canucks pick:

Brandt Clarke, RHD

Matthew Beniers, C/W

Owen Power, LHD

Luke Hughes, LHD

William Eklund, C/W

Kent Johnson, C

Simon Edvinsson, LHD

Dylan Guenther, C/W

Mason McTavish, C

Fabian Lysell, RW

Chaz Lucius, C

Cole Sillinger, LW

Corson Ceulemans, RHD

It’s going to be very interesting to see where the goalie, Jesper Wallstedt is picked. That could bump a very good player down to us!

No to Hughes for me.  The team doesn't need more dman who are weak on the d side. 

• Haha 2

How about a dark horse?

Zachary L'hereux.

He's rugged. One more rugged Canuck to join Zack, Gadj, Woo, and Podzkolzin. There will be fewer grins from the opposing team when they look at the schedule and see Vancouver's coming.

Edited by John_Guest

7 hours ago, Zoolander said:

I encourage everyone to watch this interview (near the end of the video) so you can see why Mason Mactavish is my go-to guy at 9th overall. 

This is a side-by-side interview with Brandt Clarke and you can just see the difference in maturity between Mactavish and Clarke - the latter seems a bit immature... or maybe it's just that Mason Mactavish is so mature for his age. 

Mactavish is HUGE, he captained Team Canada at the U-18's in Shane Wright's absence, and he put up 1st line numbers in the Swiss league - which is quite a good league, respectively. 

He has a high floor and high ceiling, and IMHO I feel he could step in very quickly and stabilize our 3C position for years to come. 

Great context !   Is he related to Craig Mactavish ?

1 hour ago, stawns said:

No to Hughes for me.  The team doesn't need more dman who are weak on the d side. 

How is he weak on the D side?

I don't get how so many posters keep saying this about Luke Hughes.

He is ahead of Q's Defensive side and he has a MUCH bigger frame.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, YearoftheNuck said:

Brandt Clarke, RHD

Matthew Beniers, C/W

Owen Power, LHD

Luke Hughes, LHD

William Eklund, C/W

Kent Johnson, C

Simon Edvinsson, LHD

Dylan Guenther, C/W

Mason McTavish, C

Fabian Lysell, RW

Chaz Lucius, C

Cole Sillinger, LW

Corson Ceulemans, RHD

If the goalie is still available after my line, and all the players above that line is taken, I would take the goalie. BPA 

** Based on what I have been hearing/watching on sportsnet/TSN. I dont think any of us hardcore watch prospects tbh. 

Edited by DontMessMe

6 hours ago, R3aL said:

How is he weak on the D side?

I don't get how so many posters keep saying this about Luke Hughes.

He is ahead of Q's Defensive side and he has a MUCH bigger frame.

Just from reading scouting reports, watching videos.  I don't think he's going to be a defensive disaster or anything, but it's the weak part of his game, that's for sure.  I just think that the team already has some issues on d there already and if they pick a damn, they need one who excels defensively.  

At #9, if no other dman falls, I'd rather go with Eklund if he's there or Svechkov is he isn't.

6 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

If the goalie is still available after my line, and all the players above that line is taken, I would take the goalie. BPA 

** Based on what I have been hearing/watching on sportsnet/TSN. I dont think any of us hardcore watch prospects tbh. 

Lol. I do. Basically whenever one of my teams (Ottawa and Vancouver) are rebuilding, I spend less time watching NHL and more time watching prospects. As you might imagine, I've barely watched the NHL this year, at least until the playoffs started. By the way, it's always super weird to go from hardcore scouting mode to watching NHL, especially playoffs. You get so used to seeing a ton of mediocre play and then every once in a while you see a play here and there where you're like "oh $&!#, that was a high level NHL play" and you make a note of the player that did it. Then in the NHL you just see plays like that every shift, and not just from superstars, even players that most NHL fans think "aren't very good"; I'm reminded that every single player in the NHL is there because they're really good at hockey. And then you see guys like Makar and MacKinnon last night and holy $&!#.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Just from reading scouting reports, watching videos.  I don't think he's going to be a defensive disaster or anything, but it's the weak part of his game, that's for sure.  I just think that the team already has some issues on d there already and if they pick a damn, they need one who excels defensively.  

At #9, if no other dman falls, I'd rather go with Eklund if he's there or Svechkov is he isn't.

So if some how From the top 4 dmen if Luke Hughes is there at 9 you pass?

I don’t believe Eklund will be available at 9 since he is the number 1 forward in some scouts eyes.

55 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Kent Johnson doesn't seem to get much attention. Local guy. Currently with the Univ. Of Minnesota. Playmaking centre. Highly skilled passer.

I haven’t watched but on radio a few coaches have talked about how his skills/style as a C doesn’t translate well to being an NHL center.

and he’s being looked at / projected more as maybe a skilled winger.

this is what I’ve heard. But I also read/heard some scouts are very high on him so he could be very high on some draft boards.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

You're right, Hughes is pretty solid defensively. I think a lot of fans tend to just assume he plays like his brother. But one thing I've noticed is that he has some serious struggles with the puck in his own zone under pressure. I know that might sound ludicrous because you sometimes see him make really slick escapes with his skating and stick skills, but from what I've seen, he needs at least a quick moment to compose himself and survey the situation, and he's usually able to bob and weave his way out of danger, but if he's not ready he throws it away an awful lot.

I have 5 basic criteria for assessing defensemen, and for fun I decided to rate each of the top D in the class, plus a few of the D from last year's class for reference.

1. Defensive zone defense
Brandt Clarke - 3/5
Owen Power - 4/5
Luke Hughes - 3/5
Carson Lambos - 4/5
Simon Edvinsson - 2/5
Corson Ceulemans - 3/5

Jake Sanderson - 4/5
Jamie Drysdale - 3/5
Shakir Mukhamadullin 5/5

2. Defensive zone transition (zone exits)
Brandt Clarke - 5/5
Owen Power - 4/5
Luke Hughes - 3/5
Carson Lambos - 2/5
Simon Edvinsson - 4/5
Corson Ceulemans - 4/5

Jake Sanderson - 4/5
Jamie Drysdale - 5/5
Shakir Mukhamadullin 3/5

3. Neutral zone transition (zone entries)
Brandt Clarke - 4/5
Owen Power - 5/5
Luke Hughes - 4/5
Carson Lambos - 4/5
Simon Edvinsson - 4/5
Corson Ceulemans - 4/5

Jake Sanderson - 5/5
Jamie Drysdale - 4/5
Shakir Mukhamadullin 3/5

4. Offensive zone
Brandt Clarke - 4/5
Owen Power - 4/5
Luke Hughes - 5/5
Carson Lambos - 4/5
Simon Edvinsson - 5/5
Corson Ceulemans - 4/5

Jake Sanderson - 3/5
Jamie Drysdale - 5/5
Shakir Mukhamadullin 3/5

5. Transition defense (defending the rush/zone entries)
Brandt Clarke - 5/5
Owen Power - 3/5
Luke Hughes - 4/5
Carson Lambos - 4/5
Simon Edvinsson - 3/5
Corson Ceuleman - 3/5

Jake Sanderson - 5/5
Jamie Drysdale - 4/5
Shakir Mukhamadullin 4/5

Overall
Brandt Clarke - 21/25
Owen Power - 20/25
Luke Hughes - 19/25
Carson Lambos -18/25
Simon Edvinsson - 18/25
Corson Ceulemans - 18/25

Jake Sanderson - 21/25
Jamie Drysdale - 21/25
Shakir Mukhamadullin - 18/25

My god your posts are detailed. Are you a scout of some sorts!

have you shared your top 10 board? Very curious to see that.

brandt Clarke is who I want most with what I know and your rankings of him just confirm this. 

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Great context !   Is he related to Craig Mactavish ?

Thanks! He's not related to Craig - but his father did play in the NHL and Swiss league so his bloodlines are good. 

Mason also put up 7 Points in 4 Swiss Playoff Games so has shown he can rise to the occasion.   

Edited by Zoolander
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I haven’t watched but on radio a few coaches have talked about how his skills/style as a C doesn’t translate well to being an NHL center.

and he’s being looked at / projected more as maybe a skilled winger.

this is what I’ve heard. But I also read/heard some scouts are very high on him so he could be very high on some draft boards.

True. He's supposedly in the same range, but as you said, he might get plucked early. I know i'll be happy with whomever we pick.

21 minutes ago, R3aL said:

So if some how From the top 4 dmen if Luke Hughes is there at 9 you pass?

I don’t believe Eklund will be available at 9 since he is the number 1 forward in some scouts eyes.

originally I said I'd take Hughes if he was the last dman left at #9, but have since changed my mind after watching some scouting videos.  Eklund would probably be my choice, but if he's goe I really liked what I saw from Svechkov.  He comes with the Russian risk, but he looks a lot like a Horvat and has the same kind of engine as Podz has, but at C.  I think he'd be a great pick for the team, but he is signed for two more years in Russia, which isn't any longer than a Hughes would be in NCAA or a kid from the CHL.  

48 minutes ago, Zoolander said:

Thanks! He's not related to Craig - but his father did play in the NHL and Swiss league so his bloodlines are good. 

Mason also put up 7 Points in 4 Swiss Playoff Games so has shown he can rise to the occasion.   

Fun fact his dad won a OHL championship on a team with Chris Pronger.