Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft


Recommended Posts

If we can get a top 8 pick and walk away with one of these 8 i will be a happy camper :

 

1. Owen Power, D, Michigan Wolverines (NCAA)

2. Luke Hughes, D, USNTDP Juniors (USHL)

3. Kent Johnson, C, Michigan Wolverines (NCAA)

4. Brandt Clarke, D, HC Nove Zamky (Slovakia) On Loan

5. Matt Beniers, C, Michigan Wolverines (NCAA)

6. William Eklund, C/LW, Djurgårdens IF (SHL)

7. Aatu Raty, C, Karpat (Liiga)

8. Jesper Wallstedt, G, Lulea HF (SHL)

 

 

 

Edited by Bure_Pavel
Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://cometsharvest.com/2021/02/23/jumping-to-conclusions-an-early-dive-into-the-stats-of-the-canucks-ahl-prospects

 


Nice article offering some detailed profiles and early scouting/impressions through the first 5 games, plus some useful analytics data, on the Utica kids.

 

EDIT: WRONG THREAD! OOPS! :lol:

 

(I’ll move it)

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Eh, I’ll just leave it here if people want to read the article. Fairly high crossover between CDCers who follow the draft and those who follow the Comets
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

If we can get a top 8 pick and walk away with one of these 8 i will be a happy camper :

 

1. Owen Power, D, Michigan Wolverines (NCAA)

2. Luke Hughes, D, USNTDP Juniors (USHL)

3. Kent Johnson, C, Michigan Wolverines (NCAA)

4. Brandt Clarke, D, HC Nove Zamky (Slovakia) On Loan

5. Matt Beniers, C, Michigan Wolverines (NCAA)

6. William Eklund, C/LW, Djurgårdens IF (SHL)

7. Aatu Raty, C, Karpat (Liiga)

8. Jesper Wallstedt, G, Lulea HF (SHL)

 

 

 

What is happening with Raty in Finland?

 

i am cheering for Beniers. Envisioning the speed. Or local Kent Johnson to run our 2knd PP

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Bure_Pavel said:

If we can get a top 8 pick and walk away with one of these 8 i will be a happy camper :

 

1. Owen Power, D, Michigan Wolverines (NCAA)

2. Luke Hughes, D, USNTDP Juniors (USHL)

3. Kent Johnson, C, Michigan Wolverines (NCAA)

4. Brandt Clarke, D, HC Nove Zamky (Slovakia) On Loan

5. Matt Beniers, C, Michigan Wolverines (NCAA)

6. William Eklund, C/LW, Djurgårdens IF (SHL)

7. Aatu Raty, C, Karpat (Liiga)

8. Jesper Wallstedt, G, Lulea HF (SHL)

 

 

 

Wallstedt is gonna be a good one. Could easily go top-5 on some lists.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just realized LA is ahead of VAN in the standings, with games in hand. Just surprised me. 

 

I'll guess that the final standings:

 

27. VAN

28. ANA

29. BUF

30. OTT

31. DET

 

Maybe the Canucks get lucky this time and get bumped up to a Top 3? Of course they'll still have to play this season out and see where they land. Hamonic might be back fairly soon, and they could go on some kind of inspired run down the stretch.  

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Just realized LA is ahead of VAN in the standings, with games in hand. Just surprised me. 

 

I'll guess that the final standings:

 

27. VAN

28. ANA

29. BUF

30. OTT

31. DET

 

Maybe the Canucks get lucky this time and get bumped up to a Top 3? Of course they'll still have to play this season out and see where they land. Hamonic might be back fairly soon, and they could go on some kind of inspired run down the stretch.  

 

 

Inspired run to the bottom - lol.  With our luck this year the lottery machine might malfunction and give us a top 3 or our first ever 1st OA pick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Man I can't get my head around this draft class. One minute I'm over the moon for a player the next finding every reason to  look the other way. And Vice versa. My initial impressions on Brandt Clarke were not good however the more I look into him the more I have come around. I still think he is too risky to take top 5 but I think I could get excited 7-10. Sky is the limit upside. Earth shattering moves would have to be made to ice a team with both him and Quinn in our top 4. 

 

Todays wish list....

 

1 Luke LHD  Locker room cultural fit

2 Eklund C/LW Locker room cultural fit great motor skilled and tenacious

3 Power LHD BPA

4 Edvinsson LHD BPA

5 Johnson Best pure C I have seen in this draft sky is the limit. Dirtiest dangles.

6 Wallstedt G If Detroit doesn't take him we could rob them a second time in the draft. All the markings of a franchise G 7 years younger than Demko fits time line just right.

 

It's wide open after this

 

Raty C He could fall further whoever takes him is going to get a steal. 

Clarke RHD Red Rover red rover. He's gonna sell jerseys and one day hopefully put fans in the arena. Never a dull shift. 

Ceulemans RHD Ticks all the right boxes for us positional need, high character leader, physical, good skating. I prob have him too high but from and org need pov he's our guy.

Beniers C all the markings of a good 2/3C won't get lost in tweener ville as he seems at home all over the ice. He probably goes higher. 

Lambos LHD he's an enigma for me I think he will go higher because in this mystery draft GM's will want to be certain they are getting a player see above.

 

Honorable mentions 

Chaz Lucius Sick name putrid snipes IMO best shot in the draft. Just filthy.

 

 

Nikita Chibrikov not only is he Podkolzins teammate but he can do this. In the KHL at 17. Just turned 18

 

Edited by hammertime
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, hammertime said:

*Edit deleted

 

I have come around on Brandt Clarke after further thought. This draft class has me all turned around upside down. every time i dig deeper on a player I'm changing my mind one way or another.

 

Lol, I saw your post earlier and wanted to reply but was busy all day. So I'll just say what I wanted to say anyway, but without the combative tone. I saw this kind of thing with Lucas Raymond all last year, who I watched A LOT of. Some fans would say he was no good defensively, some would say he was overrated offensively, depending on which games they'd watched. It is so important to try to watch draft-aged prospects at multiple different levels and at different times throughout the year. With Raymond we know from seeing him as a U17 dominating the U18 tournaments that his skill level was off the charts. At the junior level, physicality was a pretty big part of his offensive game, not that he was a power forward, but he liked to drive hard to the net and battle in front. But last season he was about 160 lbs, and in SHL he was getting angled off and boxed out all over the ice, yet was able to play at that level from the 4th line because he played such an outstandingly responsible, smart, dependable two-way game. So early on in his draft season I saw so many fans and even media scouts questioning his offensive abilities. He returned from World Juniors with some confidence and starting making some offensive plays, and along with that came some mistakes, and then I started seeing folks question his defensive game. But really they were all wrong, he is elite both offensively and defensively, and just needs to learn to pick his spots at the pro level, which you can gradually see him improving on this season. This past World Juniors was a great example, where in close games against tough opponenets, Holtz was making brutal turnovers trying to force plays, while Raymond just stuck with it and kept doing all the right things and creating offense where it was available.

 

Clarke's situation this year reminds me so much of Raymond last year, except it's a significantly weaker league than SHL, and Clarke is 6'1, so he's making the transition much quicker. Like with Raymond, we knew a year before his draft year, from the U17 tournament, how tremendously talented Clarke was against players his own age, both offensively and defensively. Then he turned pro and things got more complicated. I've seen three full games from Clarke this year, plus bits of a couple others. The first was one of his first couple games of the season, and he looked very timid, was playing safe stay-at-home defensive hocktey. Wasn't jumping up or making plays. I thought he looked solid, but nothing like a potential first overall pick I remembered from U17s. The next game I saw was that shift-by-shift TheOilKnight posted. What a 180. Like you said, he's all over the place, jumping up at every opportunity. I think it is important to note that that was his 8th game of the season, and he was still pointless. For someone who was supposed to be a surefire top five pick, folks were starting to ask questions and I would imagine he was feeling the pressure, so yeah he was pushing. The last game I caught was a couple Fridays ago against Slovan. I came away from that game convinced he's the first overall pick. He's really started to find that balance at this level. Playing a very responsible defensive game, but jumping into the play where appropriate.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

 

Lol, I saw your post earlier and wanted to reply but was busy all day. So I'll just say what I wanted to say anyway, but without the combative tone. I saw this kind of thing with Lucas Raymond all last year, who I watched A LOT of. Some fans would say he was no good defensively, some would say he was overrated offensively, depending on which games they'd watched. It is so important to try to watch draft-aged prospects at multiple different levels and at different times throughout the year. With Raymond we know from seeing him as a U17 dominating the U18 tournaments that his skill level was off the charts. At the junior level, physicality was a pretty big part of his offensive game, not that he was a power forward, but he liked to drive hard to the net and battle in front. But last season he was about 160 lbs, and in SHL he was getting angled off and boxed out all over the ice, yet was able to play at that level from the 4th line because he played such an outstandingly responsible, smart, dependable two-way game. So early on in his draft season I saw so many fans and even media scouts questioning his offensive abilities. He returned from World Juniors with some confidence and starting making some offensive plays, and along with that came some mistakes, and then I started seeing folks question his defensive game. But really they were all wrong, he is elite both offensively and defensively, and just needs to learn to pick his spots at the pro level, which you can gradually see him improving on this season. This past World Juniors was a great example, where in close games against tough opponenets, Holtz was making brutal turnovers trying to force plays, while Raymond just stuck with it and kept doing all the right things and creating offense where it was available.

 

Clarke's situation this year reminds me so much of Raymond last year, except it's a significantly weaker league than SHL, and Clarke is 6'1, so he's making the transition much quicker. Like with Raymond, we knew a year before his draft year, from the U17 tournament, how tremendously talented Clarke was against players his own age, both offensively and defensively. Then he turned pro and things got more complicated. I've seen three full games from Clarke this year, plus bits of a couple others. The first was one of his first couple games of the season, and he looked very timid, was playing safe stay-at-home defensive hocktey. Wasn't jumping up or making plays. I thought he looked solid, but nothing like a potential first overall pick I remembered from U17s. The next game I saw was that shift-by-shift TheOilKnight posted. What a 180. Like you said, he's all over the place, jumping up at every opportunity. I think it is important to note that that was his 8th game of the season, and he was still pointless. For someone who was supposed to be a surefire top five pick, folks were starting to ask questions and I would imagine he was feeling the pressure, so yeah he was pushing. The last game I caught was a couple Fridays ago against Slovan. I came away from that game convinced he's the first overall pick. He's really started to find that balance at this level. Playing a very responsible defensive game, but jumping into the play where appropriate. I've seen at least seven full games from him, and I just don't think of him as the guy who leads the rush, but is much more likely to make a pass out of the hotzone, or else skate it past the red line and then dish it off or dump it in - but in that game with his team down a goal late, he went end to end beautifully and went around the net to let his team enter and set up, showing that he is able to do it when necessary.

Thank you very much for your input. Like I said I had a bit of a rollercoaster in my research of him. The more I dig the more I like but my first impression after watching that shift by shift was an absolute coaches nightmare. The more I watch though the more I have seen that he isn't a one dimensional player. He can play in his own zone and he can calm his game and pick his spots better. He will need coaching but the upside is huge if he can become a band member instead of. 

Mary Poppins GIF - Mary Poppins Bert - Discover & Share GIFs

  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My dark horses. Guys we might get later or be able to move into a position to grab.

 

Fedor Svechkov great defensive forward "What impresses me the most about Svechkov is the fact he will not back down from anyone. When he is standing in front of the net, he battles hard to get positioning and is able to jump on loose rebounds if the chance presents itself. With the puck on his stick, he uses his deft stickhandling ability to gain time and space for his teammates and can set them up with ease."

 

Daniil Chakya LHD

"Chayka, a big, mobile two-way defenseman who likes to watch Tampa Bay's Victor Hedman, has been with the CSKA Moscow organization this year, thanks in part to Russian world junior coach Igor Larionov." If the doctor is pumping his tires you can bet he is on JB's radar for all the right reasons. He had a great season with the Guelph Storm and is acquitting himself very well in the MHL.

 

Samuel Helenius C 6'6" https://finnishjuniorhockey.com/player-profiles/samuel-helenius/

There is so much to like with him he has become a highly trusted player in Liiga.  Knows his role could very well be a foundational bottom 6 NHL C. 

 

Maxim Krovyakov another SKA alum big boi with the skill to make it. likely low hanging fruit in later rounds don't wait too long on him JB.

"Krovyakov skates well for his size, plays physical, and can really pick corners. He fills lanes and open spots, looking to shoot as much as possible in the offensive zone. He uses little movement fakes to get open at the right time for shots; he supports the play well in general. He anticipates where he has to go get the puck and advance it towards a scoring opportunity. -EliteProspects 2020 NHL Draft Guide"

Edited by hammertime
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

Man I can't get my head around this draft class. One minute I'm over the moon for a player the next finding every reason to  look the other way. And Vice versa. My initial impressions on Brandt Clarke were not good however the more I look into him the more I have come around. I still think he is too risky to take top 5 but I think I could get excited 7-10. Sky is the limit upside. Earth shattering moves would have to be made to ice a team with both him and Quinn in our top 4. 

 

Todays wish list....

 

1 Luke LHD  Locker room cultural fit

2 Eklund C/LW Locker room cultural fit great motor skilled and tenacious

3 Power LHD BPA

4 Edvinsson LHD BPA

5 Johnson Best pure C I have seen in this draft sky is the limit. Dirtiest dangles.

6 Wallstedt G If Detroit doesn't take him we could rob them a second time in the draft. All the markings of a franchise G 7 years younger than Demko fits time line just right.

 

It's wide open after this

 

Raty C He could fall further whoever takes him is going to get a steal. 

Clarke RHD Red Rover red rover. He's gonna sell jerseys and one day hopefully put fans in the arena. Never a dull shift. 

Ceulemans RHD Ticks all the right boxes for us positional need, high character leader, physical, good skating. I prob have him too high but from and org need pov he's our guy.

Beniers C all the markings of a good 2/3C won't get lost in tweener ville as he seems at home all over the ice. He probably goes higher. 

Lambos LHD he's an enigma for me I think he will go higher because in this mystery draft GM's will want to be certain they are getting a player see above.

 

Honorable mentions 

Chaz Lucius Sick name putrid snipes IMO best shot in the draft. Just filthy.

 

 

Nikita Chibrikov not only is he Podkolzins teammate but he can do this. In the KHL at 17. Just turned 18

 

I guess Wallstedt may be the canucks goalie of the future not demko :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

What are we gonna do with Dipietro? Develop and trade? But he is similar age to demko i think. Like 2 or 3 years 

I love a good underdog story really want Dipietro to succeed but the reality is there is a very low chance he becomes a starter let alone a franchise goalie. He's a warrior for sure but he would be the shortest goalie in the NHL along with Casey de smith. Odds aren't in his favor. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, hammertime said:

I love a good underdog story really want Dipietro to succeed but the reality is there is a very low chance he becomes a starter let alone a franchise goalie. He's a warrior for sure but he would be the shortest goalie in the NHL along with Casey de smith. Odds aren't in his favor. 

Hes the same height as Jonathan Quick i THINK

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DontMessMe said:

Hes the same height as Jonathan Quick i THINK

He's an inch shorter but aside from that Quick is/was a generational talent not really a fair comparison.  Would love that to be the case but its kinda like comparing Adam Gaudette to Wayne Gretzky because they play the same position and are relatively the same size. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...