The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

I just want to officially state I am now on team tank for the season. I hate watching them lose, but clearly we need to take another step and the only way we are going to do that is if we get another top defensive prospect. 

• Hydration 1
21 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

2021 NHL Draft: Zator’s Top 64 February Rankings

February 6, 2021 by Matthew Zator

2021 NHL Entry Draft Rankings

First Round

1. Matt Beniers, C, Michigan Wolverines (NCAA)

2. Brandt Clarke, D, HC Nove Zamky (Slovakia) On Loan

3. Kent Johnson, C, Michigan Wolverines (NCAA)

4. Jesper Wallstedt, G, Lulea HF (SHL)

5. William Eklund, C/LW, Djurgårdens IF (SHL)

6. Owen Power, D, Michigan Wolverines (NCAA)

7. Luke Hughes, D, USNTDP Juniors (USHL)

8. Fabian Lysell, RW, Lulea HF (SHL)

9. Simon Edvinsson, D, Frolunda HC (SHL)

10. Matthew Coronato, LW, Chicago Steel (USHL)

11. Carson Lambos, D, JYP U20 (U20 SM-sarja) On Loan

12. Aatu Raty, C, Karpat (Liiga)

13. Dylan Guenther, LW, Sherwood Park Crusaders (AJHL) On Loan

14. Corson Ceulemans, D, Brooks Bandits (AJHL)

15. Prokhor Poltapov, RW, Krasnaya Armiya Moskva (MHL)

16. Chaz Lucius, C, US National U18 Team (USDP)

17. Cole Sillinger, C, Sioux Falls Stampede (USHL)

18. Brennan Othmann, LW, EHC Olten (SL) On Loan

19. Oskar Olausson, LW/RW, HV71 (SHL)

20. Francesco Pinelli, C, HDD Jesenice (Slovenia) On Loan

21. Zach Dean, C, Gatineau Olympiques (QMJH

Great list. Same as my current top two but reverse order. I haven't watched Coronato play yet but seems like the hype train is ramping up. My only quarrels are with Wallstedt and Sillinger. I just can't get behind drafting goalies that high. I'm old enough to remember Kari Lehtonen, Rick Dipietro, Pascal Leclaire and Dan Blackburn, and I was at every game at the World Juniors in Saskatoon in 2010 when Jack Campbell was a 17 year old phenom. Goalies are just way too early in their development at 18.

And in my opinion Sillinger should be almost a lock for the top ten. His 200 foot hockey IQ is among the best in the class. Very pro style game and a coach's dream - battles hard, disrupts on the backcheck and forcheck, he's always wrecking havoc in front of the opponent's goalie and is excellent at tipping shots. Granted, some of the offensive skills aren't the most high end, and I'm not sure quite what the upside is, but given the question marks with other top prospects in this year's class, I just don't think you can pass up hockey sense like that. I see too much of Mark Stone and Joe Pavelski.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Thanks 1

I don’t really understand all the analysts saying this isn’t the year to do poorly because the draft rankings are all over the place and there isn’t a clear cut #1.

I see that as you can potentially get the best player in the draft anywhere in the top 10. 

This is seems like the one year you could get the best overall player outside the top 5 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
1 hour ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

I don’t really understand all the analysts saying this isn’t the year to do poorly because the draft rankings are all over the place and there isn’t a clear cut #1.

I see that as you can potentially get the best player in the draft anywhere in the top 10. 

This is seems like the one year you could get the best overall player outside the top 5 

Also to have multiple 2nd or 3rd round picks getting a guy that potentially wasn’t properly scouted due to exposure or shortened season and very quickly looks to be a top 15 talent. I’ll agree that there is no clear cut number 1 pick but the top 8 guys look to be very good picks!

• Vintage 1
3 hours ago, Off_The_Schneid! said:

You make a good point, but I do think there is something to the claim you're arguing against. For starters, as you alluded to, for the teams that pick first and second overall, there's just not that surefire franchise superstar that many drafts have at the top. But beyond that, there's a bit of a trickledown effect. There are so many players in the top ten to fifteen of this draft to have big upside, but also come with huge question marks: Edvinsson, Lysell, Lucius, Chibrikov, Kent Johnson. I would include Lambos in that list, but many see him as a safe pick. On the other hand, you have guys like Beniers, Power, Sillinger, Raty, who seem to be very safe pcks, but there are question marks about upside. In a strong draft year, players like that should be outside the top five, and most would be outside the top ten. But except for maybe Clarke and Hughes, I just don't see those players with a combination of high floor and elite upside. I would imagine at least the top three from last year's draft would go first overall ahead of any player in this draft, and there are at least four players in next year's draft (which looks like it could be an all-timer) who could probably go first overall in this draft. So, point is that I expect there are going to be a couple more players than usual drafted in the top ten who will be considered busts relative to where they're picked.

First try! :towel:

C133221C-44EF-4D63-B60D-D2E89135AE7B.jpeg.0fa1469fe0e2c4fab3eae3b1f1c8d648.jpeg

So, given how the Canucks’ roster/system needs square with the overall rankings, are we taking Brandt Clarke at #1 overall? 

(Not saying Clarke is drafting for needs. He could easily be BPA and plenty have him as #1 or #2 or their boards, and in a year without much clear separation in the top-5 or even top-10.)

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1
23 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

Also to have multiple 2nd or 3rd round picks getting a guy that potentially wasn’t properly scouted due to exposure or shortened season and very quickly looks to be a top 15 talent. I’ll agree that there is no clear cut number 1 pick but the top 8 guys look to be very good picks!

On 2/24/2021 at 9:52 AM, Off_The_Schneid! said:

Well,  we’ve done that twice in the past few years,  let’s do it again!

• Haha 1

Getting the #1 would be great, but who would VAN take? Is there a clear cut #1? I don't think so.

Could be Power, Clarke, Hughes, Beniers, Guenther, Johnson, even Raty.

Should VAN draft by positional need rather than try to determine who the BPA is?

16 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Getting the #1 would be great, but who would VAN take? Is there a clear cut #1? I don't think so.

Could be Power, Clarke, Hughes, Beniers, Guenther, Johnson, even Raty.

Should VAN draft by positional need rather than try to determine who the BPA is?

With no clear cut number 1 management can make a case for anyone of them and tell us that was their BPA. Also you forgot the Swedes in Eklund and Edvinsson guys I think also go in the top 7. I’ve seen some mocks with Eklund as the 1rst overall.

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

With no clear cut number 1 management can make a case for anyone of them and tell us that was their BPA. Also you forgot the Swedes in Eklund and Edvinsson guys I think also go in the top 7. I’ve seen some mocks with Eklund as the 1rst overall.

Yes, also Edvinsson and Eklund. Would be nice to get another offensive threat to one day play with Petey, but VAN probably needs D more?

Any one of Clarke, Power, Hughes or Edvinsson?  Lambos could be good too, but not sure at #1. I need to do more research to get familiar with the prospects

• Vintage 1
6 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Yes, also Edvinsson and Eklund. Would be nice to get another offensive threat to one day play with Petey, but VAN probably needs D more?

Any one of Clarke, Power, Hughes or Edvinsson?  Lambos could be good too, but not sure at #1. I need to do more research to get familiar with the prospects

Couldn’t agree more a dman is much needed! I believe in our prospect depth and think a top 6 of Pettersson, Boeser, Miller, Horvat, Hoglander and Podkolzin will be a very good top 6. So in saying that I feel like another high profile dman is needed.

• Vintage 1

My guess is if we are lucky we will draft between 6-11. Hopefully we get a top pick tho. It would be great if we could get Luke Hughes as he will probably be in that range. Hopefully that gets us Jack in 6 seasons from NJD. Obviously Power would be amazing or even Clarke but they'll be gone.

• Vintage 1
On 2/24/2021 at 8:33 AM, BPA said:

Since it appears we will be sellers, I wonder if we could get another 1st this year.

If you are willing to give up like a Boeser, Miller or Horvat type player absolutely. 

If you are talking about pearson - VERY unlikely 

If you are talking about virtanen, gaud, in your dreams. 

• RoughGame 1
On 2/23/2021 at 10:18 PM, hammertime said:

My dark horses. Guys we might get later or be able to move into a position to grab.

Fedor Svechkov great defensive forward "What impresses me the most about Svechkov is the fact he will not back down from anyone. When he is standing in front of the net, he battles hard to get positioning and is able to jump on loose rebounds if the chance presents itself. With the puck on his stick, he uses his deft stickhandling ability to gain time and space for his teammates and can set them up with ease."

Daniil Chakya LHD

"Chayka, a big, mobile two-way defenseman who likes to watch Tampa Bay's Victor Hedman, has been with the CSKA Moscow organization this year, thanks in part to Russian world junior coach Igor Larionov." If the doctor is pumping his tires you can bet he is on JB's radar for all the right reasons. He had a great season with the Guelph Storm and is acquitting himself very well in the MHL.

Samuel Helenius C 6'6" https://finnishjuniorhockey.com/player-profiles/samuel-helenius/

There is so much to like with him he has become a highly trusted player in Liiga.  Knows his role could very well be a foundational bottom 6 NHL C. 

Maxim Krovyakov another SKA alum big boi with the skill to make it. likely low hanging fruit in later rounds don't wait too long on him JB.

"Krovyakov skates well for his size, plays physical, and can really pick corners. He fills lanes and open spots, looking to shoot as much as possible in the offensive zone. He uses little movement fakes to get open at the right time for shots; he supports the play well in general. He anticipates where he has to go get the puck and advance it towards a scoring opportunity. -EliteProspects 2020 NHL Draft Guide"

Good to see Svechkov getting some love. I think he's gonna be one of those examples where you can tell the people who have watched the prospects from those who just look at stats. Not that just looking at stats is a bad thing, I get not everyone has the time or interest to watch a ton of junior or European pro games, but the problem is when stat-watchers pass themselves off as prospect experts.

Anyway, whereas Chibrikov and Katelevksy have been able to make the relatively easier transition to the pro game on the wing, Svechkov was thrown right into playing center in the VHL, and he's had some struggles, but man does he look like such a pro player. As you mentioned most of, great defensive forward, penalty killer, good on the boards and in front of the net. As the top Russians of the draft class, he's inevitably going to get compared to Chibrikov, who is one of the four or five most purely skilled forwards in the class. But I think it sometimes gets overlooked that Svechkov is highly skilled in his own right. To be a primary offensive threat (i.e. a line-driver) in the NHL he's going to have to develop more of a one on one arsenal and start attacking defenders more often, but he's a good passer, has a great shot, and uses his stickhandling skills to draw guys out and buy time for his teammates to get open, and he's just such a clever offensive player. Upside certainly isn't close to as high as Chibrikov, but he's a much safer pick to be at least a very solid top nine forward.

Edited by HighOnHockey
On 2/24/2021 at 9:33 AM, BPA said:

Since it appears we will be sellers, I wonder if we could get another 1st this year.

There is nothing the Canucks have that they would be willing to give up to get another 1st this year. That; IMO, would be a backwards move.

23 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

There is nothing the Canucks have that they would be willing to give up to get another 1st this year. That; IMO, would be a backwards move.

The issue isn't what the Canucks would give up for another first, it is what the other teams want, for their firsts.  :)

Lot's of guys the team would trade for a first.

Does Benning try to save his job by trading the 1st + for a Top pairing Dman?

At this point in the development of Pettersson, Hoglander, Boeser, Horvat, Hughes, etc. drafting a kid who will take a couple of years to develop and make an impact won't help their current situation. They've already got some pretty good prospects (Podkolzin, Focht, Lind, Lockwood, Zlodeyev, Woo, Rathbone, Jurmo, DiPietro). 

Going to venture a guess that Benning trades the 1st + for a Dman. OEL?

2 hours ago, gurn said:

The issue isn't what the Canucks would give up for another first, it is what the other teams want, for their firsts.  :)

Lot's of guys the team would trade for a first.

Perhaps but I doubt there are very many this year. I just don't see the Canucks trading one of their top players for a first round lottery ticket... Just don't see that happening. It would be more likely to be similar to the Laine... Pierre Luc Dubois scenario if it were to happen at all.

I am, however very curious as to who you think is worth a 1st to another team that the Canucks would be willing to part with.

Edited by Kootenay Gold