The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Golden Knights sign Alex Pietrangelo

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

For those who appreciate such things, here’s Dom Luszczyszyn’s chart for the Pietrangelo contract:

6CAD2020-8A4B-4AF4-80C7-363C8C1A5A26.jpeg.1f8cf1a1e89431a93557d7beff9175f4.jpeg

Shows a very small net loss over the life of the deal (600k/yr too rich).

However, it does appear that Dom has prepared this chart using GSVA and not GSVA/82 (in which, due to the shortened season, Pietrangelo’s 2019-20 would rise to something equivalent to 3.3, instead of 2.5, and his curve would start higher and probably show a net positive over the life of the deal).

Also worth remembering that 2023 is the year the new USA TV contract comes onto the books. Right when Pietrangelo is predicted to fall from “elite” to “number one” status.

Overall, I do expect this contract will be a net positive deal, barring any serious injuries. 

Pietrangelo should be good for 3-4 years of “elite” play, and then solid first pairing for most of the remainder, maybe falling to top four in the final year or two (by which time the cap should be a lot higher).

People can just do an eye test on Weber to see the same trajectory is in the cards for AP but I do appreciate the data that backs up the theory.  Cheers!

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

With vegas signing there are now 4 teams in the west that will need to rely on LTIR and trades of young players or watching rfa's walk to maintain cap compliance.

There are 4 teams out east under the same issues.

The off season is just starting

Hey now we don’t like that kinda attitude around here 

30 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Who do they replace Toffoli with??? Hoffman? Jim is not looking good right now at all. No buyouts,  no trades , lost almost all his free agents to good value contracts......I'm not optimistic at all after seeing the Toffoli deal personally. All those guys leaving for good deals says something is definitely not right here.

Dadonov?  

I'm not worried at all about seeing those guys leave except for Tofu.  Marky got 6 years at 6 mill and expansion protection.  No way in hell we do that, no brainer IMO.  

Tanev and Stecher needed to move to let us infuse some youth in our lineup and try and improve our awful defense (it was the worst part of our team last year, again IMO).  

Tofu was the one I was hoping we'd keep.  Seeing the fact that he didn't get a big number does worry me slightly.  

We'll see, having cap space is not the worst thing in the world.  We might be able to get an excellent player later just by default because we'll be one of the few remaining teams that have any cap room.  Take a look over at capfriendly and take note of how many roster spots teams still have to fill out...  it's not looking pretty in terms of cap space left around the league.  

17 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

I hope teams are asking for a 1st or a 2nd just to take Schmidt even though he’s a top 4D, Vegas is in hell right now and need to clear almost 7 million in cap space. Every GM should be making them pay to move any contract.

Or better yet... Don't nobody trade with Vegas!!

What's the penalty for not being cap compliant by season opener?

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

So what are they going to shed prior to the season?

Try to dump a couple of players. The risk you run if you go over a lot is that your pressured to move players asap. It is easier to address if it's 1-2M over the cap because you could make a small trade or waive someone. It'll be tough for them. They shouldn't get an optimal return for the players they are giving up.

Just now, BPA said:

Vegas NEEDS to trade MAF and one other player.

Currently  they are $7M over the cap with 22/23 roster.

I would laugh if no one helps them and they're forced to waive players and other teams scoop up for free. No assets for Vegas! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, khay said:

Or better yet... Don't nobody trade with Vegas!!

What's the penalty for not being cap compliant by season opener?

From Google...

Teams found to have violated the cap face fines of up to US$5 million, cancellation of contracts, loss of draft picks, loss of points and/or forfeiture of game(s) determined to have been affected by the violation of the cap

• Thanks 1