The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Golden Knights sign Alex Pietrangelo

15 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

With vegas signing there are now 4 teams in the west that will need to rely on LTIR and trades of young players or watching rfa's walk to maintain cap compliance.

There are 4 teams out east under the same issues.

The off season is just starting

I'm not sure it's as rosy as that. I have VGK, ARI, STL, ANH, CGY, WPG and possibly EDM in the west and MTL, WSH, TML, TAM and NYI out East.  All of these teams are either over the cap, have significant contracts to sign or roster spots to fill.  Whatever the case, I think all of them will have to start dumping salary one way or another.  What better time to do it than when the cap is flat, revenues have dried up and the other teams are looking to cut wages?

3 minutes ago, ShadowHakudoshi said:

I know it would suck to help out VGK but I wouldn't mind taking on Schmidt + a sweetener (if we can package and get Marchessault as well, I would be down) and maybe trying to grab Cernak somehow.

Hughes- Cernak
Schmidt - Myers

Edler - Raferty

I would be confident with that group.

That's nearly $50m in salary for 2 players over the next 5 years.  How do you explain that to your owner who is not getting any gate revenue ? Most NHL GMs are trying to  dump contracts with term because the revenues have dried due to Covid.  I would be shocked if they could move Schmidt's contract.  The contracts that they might be able to move would be Smith, Martinez, MAF or McNabb.  They are screwed!!

1 minute ago, danaimo said:

That's nearly $50m in salary for 2 players over the next 5 years.  How do you explain that to your owner who is not getting any gate revenue ? Most NHL GMs are trying to  dump contracts with term because the revenues have dried due to Covid.  I would be shocked if they could move Schmidt's contract.  The contracts that they might be able to move would be Smith, Martinez, MAF or McNabb.  They are screwed!!

Posted this minutes before the schmidt deal hahaha

19 minutes ago, ShadowHakudoshi said:

I know it would suck to help out VGK but I wouldn't mind taking on Schmidt + a sweetener (if we can package and get Marchessault as well, I would be down) and maybe trying to grab Cernak somehow.

Hughes- Cernak
Schmidt - Myers

Edler - Raferty

That's a great lineup but Juolevi is on this team next year

• Cheers 1

If I am taking any contracts from Vegas( Schmidt or Martinez ) they need to attach, Hague and a 1st.  The Knights have no leverage.  If im taking Fleury you can add Krebs to Hague and the 1st.

As a side note There is no way I would be taking William Karlsson and that contract.

Edited: Well I got that wrong!!!

Edited by canuckpuckluck15

1 hour ago, Jetliner said:

lol 8.8 for 7 years. dodged a major bullet there. Vegas is gonna be crying ass in 2-3 years

Hopefully. Or who knows, being Bettman's prized expansion franchise, maybe they'll be permitted to bury Pietrangelo's contract when he turns 35 and has an "equipment allergy" like Hossa. 

1 hour ago, ShadowHakudoshi said:

Hughes- Cernak
Schmidt - Myers

Edler - Raferty

Good call haha.

2 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

You got your wish. It’s a Christmas miracle!

Definitely a sigh of relief!  Folks here were thinking that Vegas would have to add a sweetener to get rid of Schmidt.  

We didn’t have that kind of leverage, we needed a top 4 D as badly as Vegas needed to get rid of cap.

A 3rd is a reasonable price to pay all the context considered.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Provost said:

Definitely a sigh of relief!  Folks here were thinking that Vegas would have to add a sweetener to get rid of Schmidt.  

We didn’t have that kind of leverage, we needed a top 4 D as badly as Vegas needed to get rid of cap.

A 3rd is a reasonable price to pay all the context considered.

I think there’s a lot of teams looking for D men right now. I don’t think a sweetener was necessary.

Im actually surprised he went for so cheap to be honest.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I think there’s a lot of teams looking for D men right now. I don’t think a sweetener was necessary.

Im actually surprised he went for so cheap to be honest.

I didn’t think they would have to give a sweetener... the proposals here suggested it.  As I said, our need was dire enough that we couldn’t play around playing hardball.

I think I did make a joke a few days ago  that we would happily take Theodore off their hands in exchange for al their picks (that offer is still on the table).

• Haha 1

I thought they would be scary with Pietrangelo added to their team, but at the cost of losing Schmidt in the process, it doesn't seem that scary. Plus they lost out on Stastny and are still needing to dump cap. Good news for them is they can afford to retain some cap on Fleury to ease the damage of moving him.