The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Nate Schmidt to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

4 minutes ago, awalk said:

Future 3rd has less value. That pick, whoever it is, is around 16 years old right now, and typical 3rd round pick development time (if they make the show) is 3-5years, so this is a player that won't be in the NHL for 5-7 years, if at all. Money in hand now is always worth more than money later. 

It’s called opportunity costs, and yes a third in two years has less value then a third next year but unless your an actuary hard to figure the actual value.   In the end it’s a better deal for us then a third next year for sure.  

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

He's an upgrade over Tanev, who I love as a heart and soul guy.  However, this reminds me of adding Hamhuis back in the day, different players, but it was an impact, that you felt from the top pair down.  Good job Benning.  We took a slight downgrade in goal, and upgraded in front of Holtby/Demko!  Watch out Vegas, we're coming for you!

There's zero downgrade in goal. It's a lateral move, FWIW.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, BPA said:

Maybe. 

If JB gets another top 4 D, then just needs to protect Myers, Schmidt, and Player X.  But would expose both OJ and Rafferty to the expansion draft.

I’m pretty sure Benning would protect Juolevi over Myers.  Highly doubt Seattle would take on Myers contract but they would be all over Juolevi. 

• Huggy Bear 1

8 minutes ago, awalk said:

Future 3rd has less value. That pick, whoever it is, is around 16 years old right now, and typical 3rd round pick development time (if they make the show) is 3-5years, so this is a player that won't be in the NHL for 5-7 years, if at all. Money in hand now is always worth more than money later. 

Yes and no. A future 3rd is still a 3rd and not basically a 5th like @kanucks25 was incorrectly trying to spin. 

A future 3rd does have less value than a current 3rd but it's not devalued THAT much. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Seems like hockey is full of them, but nice to hear Schmidt is another high character guy.  

Along with Holtby I’ve always appreciated JB going after that angle. 

I was worried losing Marky (and others) would hurt I’m the room as much as the ice... but not anymore. 

I hear you:  I've been worried about the room a bit too.  Not so much the loss of character, although all 4 guys who've gone elsewhere had that.  More that this was a really close team and tearing the fabric apart with Benning going full Belichuck imposes the business side of things pretty hard on the group.  But it did have to be done and I salute him for dealing with it. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

On one hand, good point.

On the other, maybe it would matter if offer sheets ever existed.

Look, it’s not really a major add to the overall value (the difference between the rounds is self explanatory in that regard) but it is nonetheless added value.  Sometimes just the threat of an offer sheet forces a trade at a more favourable cost than otherwise would be made without said leverage.  

Let’s just let this one lay down.  It’s a little ridiculous to be splitting hairs over this in an otherwise jubilant thread, yes?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, TheCerebral1 said:

He's an upgrade over Tanev, who I love as a heart and soul guy.  However, this reminds me of adding Hamhuis back in the day, different players, but it was an impact, that you felt from the top pair down.  Good job Benning.  We took a slight downgrade in goal, and upgraded in front of Holtby/Demko!  Watch out Vegas, we're coming for you!

Yes, yes and yes. Not so if Demko is the deal we think he is. and finally... yes.

3 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

I hear you:  I've been worried about the room a bit too.  Not so much the loss of character, although all 4 guys who've gone elsewhere had that.  More that this was a really close team and tearing the fabric apart with Benning going full Belichuck imposes the business side of things pretty hard on the group.  But it did have to be done and I salute him for dealing with it. 

Good point - hopefully by being both good players and supposedly well liked guys they’ll gel quickly. 

I also like that they’re coming from powerhouse franchises - those two guys are going to expect making the playoffs at a minimum.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Cheers 1