The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Nate Schmidt to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

1 minute ago, D-Money said:

Schmidt’s contract is all salaries, no bonuses. So even if (worst case scenario) he falls off before the end, it is easy enough to buyout.

He is one of the top 10 best skaters on d right now pound for pound in the NHL.

So he should have 3 good years at least left in him.

The last 2 he could still be solid thanks to his skating.

Only thing concerning might be injury history.

Offensively though he is what you want on your 2nd pp unit and can carry the puck up ice.

If only the Canucks can find something with Rathbone on the third pair and then the Canucks would have 3 high quality skating d men in Hughes,Schmidt, and Rathbone.

2 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

I don't say it for the sake of saying it. If I had a hate agenda, I wouldn't be parading about how good of a trade the Schmidt trade was. At the absolute worst, it's a top 5 trade for us in the last 15 years. Not every move or player has to be defended. 

Myers was literally played alongside Fantenberg as his partner at a higher rate than any other player. He was hemmed in his own end during the playoffs. A common misconception is that Stecher got exposed against VGK and Myers somehow dominated the big scary 3rd liner Tuch. 

Stecher outscored VGK 5-1 at ES in the series. 7 games for stecher, 1 ES goal against while playing harder minutes than Myers and Tanev. I don't understand this misconception. 

If you have an Athletic subscription, here's an article about Myers from a year ago that is still accurate today. https://theathletic.com/1057961/2019/07/01/what-to-make-of-the-tyler-myers-contract-and-the-canucks-blue-line-overhaul/

Though I'm not sure how you feel about Harman Dayal.

Myers coming back from an injury ... what about the MIN series or the St Louis one where they purposely targeted Stecher every shift and he was the one hemmed in and exposed?   Using the entire playoffs as a sample size i liked a lot more of what Myers was bringing then any other D aside from QHs ...

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

I don't say it for the sake of saying it. If I had a hate agenda, I wouldn't be parading about how good of a trade the Schmidt trade was. At the absolute worst, it's a top 5 trade for us in the last 15 years. Not every move or player has to be defended. 

Myers was literally played alongside Fantenberg as his partner at a higher rate than any other player. He was hemmed in his own end during the playoffs. A common misconception is that Stecher got exposed against VGK and Myers somehow dominated the big scary 3rd liner Tuch. 

Stecher outscored VGK 5-1 at ES in the series. 7 games for stecher, 1 ES goal against while playing harder minutes than Myers and Tanev. I don't understand this misconception. 

If you have an Athletic subscription, here's an article about Myers from a year ago that is still accurate today. https://theathletic.com/1057961/2019/07/01/what-to-make-of-the-tyler-myers-contract-and-the-canucks-blue-line-overhaul/

Though I'm not sure how you feel about Harman Dayal.

Not a fan of the paywall for the athletic so no subscription. Myers is not an analytic nerd darling but he's not as bad as they make him out to be either he has intangibles that don't show on the stats sheet and he is one of our few net front presences on the defensive side. 

Overall he's not expendable to us anytime soon yet. 

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

For recalls in case of short term injuries or in-season additions like Podkolzin - yes.  After season start if a player is added to the roster his potential bonuses have to be covered when LTIR is in use, as long as they are still technically attainable (whether realistic or not).  It caught Dallas a year ago - they were in LTIR and unable to recall Gurianov at the TDL because of his performance bonuses per Shapiro.  

Not sure to understand what you are suggesting.  

Thanks for clarifying:  LTIR is complicated.  What I was suggesting is playing on the difference between the 1.05 mil that we'd save by waiving guys like Loui, Sutter, Roussel and replacements for them from Utica at league minimum (0.7 mil), for the purposes of meeting the cap on opening day.  That's a 1.05 mil saving on three guys, which would go some way to shoehorning Jake and Gaudette in.  Then once you've met cap, you can recall some or all of those guys at their full salaries using LTIR, no?

28 minutes ago, Justdean10 said:

Chicago Seabrook/Keith Over 12 mill. 
Wild   Suter/Spurgeon over 15 mill

Montreal Weber/Petry Over 14 Mill

Nashville  Over 15 Mill
LA  Doughty 11 Mill

Sharks  Karlsson/Burns/Vlasic Over 26mill

Blues Faulk/Krug 13 Mill

Tampa Hedman/McDonagh Over 14 Mill
Capital Carlson/Orlov Over 13 Mill

Lots of teams have potentially worse than us, we could also be one of those teams that have no one signed which I would be more worried about.
We don't currently have a single player making over 6 mill a year. A lot of teams have forwards they might have to worry about in a couple years too. 

I'm not too worried about their cap hit, We have over 17 mill coming off the books next year. Sign Petey/Hughes and a couple fillers. Couple talents from the prospect pool.
I think we'll be okay and I imagine couple years cap will go up again. 

Just remember one of those "fillers" is Demko, he's also an RFA next summer.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Bonuses of $1.7 million are already factored into the cap for 2020. If Ferland goes on LTIR at the start of the year and Juolevi is already on the big club then it won’t matter.  I think Virtanen will be traded. Lind could step up and play on the 3rd or 4th line along with MacEwen.  Trading Virtanen for a hard nosed bottom paring right shot Dman and a pick would be a great move and fill out the D plus get us under the cap. 

Ahh alright, wasn't too sure how the bonus bit worked

I'd be very surprised if we traded Jake though, frustrating or not he'd have still broken the 20 goal barrier had the season continued and I expect he'll get a longer look in our top six with Toffoli gone 

If anything I expect they might run with Benn and Rafferty and wait for Tram to fill that last slot, it sounds like both sides wanted to deal but Covid nixed things or something 

I don't think they've given up on having him as part of our D core 

I expect Juolevi to make it, but I think they'd like to fill at least one more spot internally 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Upvote 4

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Benning is on the phone as we speak...

As much I would like a high quality third pair d man with  like a David Savard, a Mackenzie Weagar type etc.

I think the priority for Benning should be to land a top 6 wing to replace Toffoli.

Would the Habs take Virtanen and a pick for Gallagher?

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Bonuses of $1.7 million are already factored into the cap for 2020. If Ferland goes on LTIR at the start of the year and Juolevi is already on the big club then it won’t matter.  I think Virtanen will be traded. Lind could step up and play on the 3rd or 4th line along with MacEwen.  Trading Virtanen for a hard nosed bottom paring right shot Dman and a pick would be a great move and fill out the D plus get us under the cap. 

If you use this trade or even the other ones around the league Virtanen might not bring back much.  He filed for arbitration which dropped his value even more + the Canucks need cap space with only 2.3M room (after demoting a F and replacing him with Juolevi to have 7 Ds).  

Canucks were an average scoring team at 5v5.  Not sure it's a good idea to move Virtanen when the team could already lack scoring. 

1 hour ago, captaincowbasher said:

terrible... 5.95 for Nate the "no hitter" Schmidt and we let the equivalent in Tanev walk for 4.5, panic move= no upgrade on D but Salary Cap in more question. Need to pull a deal that brings a big mobile defenceman here, oh wait Vegas made the upgrade. We're not getting by Vegas in the playoffs with these sorts of blunders...  

No upgrade on Tanev??? lol, Maybe pay a little more attention captain cowbell

Tanev replaced, now we need to figure out a replacement for Toffoli & deal with Virtanen.

---- Lotto line ----

Pearson - Horvat - ????

Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen*

Motte - Beagle - Sutter

Eriksson, MacEwen

Hughes - Schmidt

Edler - Myers

Juolevi - Benn

Chatfield

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, IBatch said:

Myers coming back from an injury ... what about the MIN series or the St Louis one where they purposely targeted Stecher every shift and he was the one hemmed in and exposed?   Using the entire playoffs as a sample size i liked a lot more of what Myers was bringing then any other D aside from QHs ...

The only bad game Stecher had against St. Louis was game 3 after Myers injury where he made some really poor mistakes and struggled with the work load. After that, he looked much better. 

Whatever "targeting" he faced was only effective in one game the entire playoffs.

In the entire playoffs, Stecher was on the ice for 15 goals for and 6 against. Myers was on the ice for 1 goal for and 5 against. Obviously, that is unsustainable and exacerbated by a short sample size.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2