The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Nate Schmidt to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

3 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

As much I would like a high quality third pair d man with  like a David Savard, a Mackenzie Weagar type etc.

I think the priority for Benning should be to land a top 6 wing to replace Toffoli.

Would the Habs take Virtanen and a pick for Gallagher?

We have strength and depth up front.  It was our d-line that needed upheaval.  No need to do anything drastic with our forward lines. And no, Habs would not trade Gallagher and a pick for JV. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Lancaster said:

So is he play on the left or right?

With Hughes, Edler and OJ coming up.... where would Schmidt fit in?  Someone going to play their off-side?

Schmidt is left-handed, but has experience playing on the right side

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

9 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

As much I would like a high quality third pair d man with  like a David Savard, a Mackenzie Weagar type etc.

I think the priority for Benning should be to land a top 6 wing to replace Toffoli.

Would the Habs take Virtanen and a pick for Gallagher?

Probably not...  

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

somewhat suprised a team like Boston did not drive this price higher...

they've got Arizona by the jewels now....

hold out for your ROR return, Zone-ahhh.

Boston fans are pretty much where we were at a couple hours ago.

Seems like they think their GM is sitting back and doing nothing as well.

3 hours ago, Erik GODbrandson said:

HIRE JIM BENNING

BTW....

A few posters in here might want to rethink their comments in the GODbranson to Ottawa thread....

being traded for a 5th round pick this offseason...NOT SUCH A JOKE, NOW, IS IT!!?!?!?

I love the trade, I am still wary about Benning's future at GM, but that's because I am skeptical of the ownership rather than him. Has he made bad moves, yes. Has he made good moves, also yes. Not every GM can be Joe Sakic. Schmidt for a 3rd is an amazing, deal and a year from now it might look even better if he can stay healthy and hit 0.5 PPG. I think we finally found a guy that can be the point man on the second unit instead of Edler, which is something we sorely lack. Also cut down the ice time for Eagle too. 

But it's not over, I wonder where they fill the last D spot from and how they fill out that top 6. I am curious if they have Jake slotted there for this 1 season but I would prefer to trade him for help on defence instead (+ the cap is difficult ...)

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Probably not...  

Definitely not ... he's part of their core group - a leader on and off the ice, gets some scoring for them and he is a pest for them. I love him and wish he would be on the Canucks but he's retiring a Canadien I thinks 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Boston fans are pretty much where we were at a couple hours ago.

Seems like they think their GM is sitting back and doing nothing as well.

well they have Arizona by the cajones, now, don't they....

And regardless of Arizona - the Bruins have a whack of cap and boatloads of leverage - if I were them I would not fret.

Edited by oldnews
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Tanev replaced, now we need to figure out a replacement for Toffoli & deal with Virtanen.

---- Lotto line ----

Pearson - Horvat - PODZ

Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen*

Motte - Beagle - Sutter

Eriksson, MacEwen

Hughes - Schmidt

Edler - Myers

Juolevi - Tryamkin

Benn Chatfield 

Fixxxed

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, 87Crosby said:

I love the trade, I am still wary about Benning's future at GM, but that's because I am skeptical of the ownership rather than him. Has he made bad moves, yes. Has he made good moves, also yes. Not every GM can be Joe Sakic. Schmidt for a 3rd is an amazing, deal and a year from now it might look even better if he can stay healthy and hit 0.5 PPG. I think we finally found a guy that can be the point man on the second unit instead of Edler, which is something we sorely lack. Also cut down the ice time for Eagle too. 

But it's not over, I wonder where they fill the last D spot from and how they fill out that top 6. I am curious if they have Jake slotted there for this 1 season but I would prefer to trade him for help on defence instead (+ the cap is difficult ...)

If any GM won on 55% of his trades and 55% of his draft picks made the NHL, he would be the greatest GM of all time.  The very best GMs make slightly fewer mistakes than they have successes, and they just hope that the failures don't sink them.  Hopefully GMJB has a few more years in the job.  Today should buy him another few months at least.

• Vintage 2

13 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Tanev replaced, now we need to figure out a replacement for Toffoli & deal with Virtanen.

---- Lotto line ----

Pearson - Horvat - ????

Roussel - Gaudette - Virtanen*

Motte - Beagle - Sutter

Eriksson, MacEwen

Hughes - Schmidt

Edler - Myers

Juolevi - Benn

Chatfield

Tanev AND. Markstrom replaced.

HOLTBY

DEMKO

Lets be clear. Demko has not played a season as the number one guy yet.

• Like 1

Just now, Me_ said:

Tanev AND. Markstrom replaced.

HOLTBY

DEMKO

Lets be clear. Demko has not played a season as the number one guy yet.

And he may not this year. More like a tandem. Holtby could very well get more starts then him this year anyway 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1