The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Nate Schmidt to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

Just now, canuck2288 said:

I may be missing something but at the value we paid for Schmidt (29) why would we not have offer sheeted Cernak? 

much younger and arguably already better than Schmidt 

Unfortunately Cernak needs to agree to sign the offer sheet.

I suspect there have been some tendered, but their RFAs are being a little patient to see if they can stay in Tampa.  If it becomes clear that money can’t be moved out, I can see offer sheets.  it gives the RFAs some control over their destination compared with getting their rights traded.

We didn’t have the luxury of time on our hands to wait for that process the shake out.  We had a half AHL defence.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

I like that Green will have to choose this season rather than just riding Marky.

I say go with the hot goalie. If you win you’re in, non of this predetermined 70/30 split or whatever.

Yup and when your boss brings in a goalie and makes a statement about playing both goalies. I’m definitely not worried. One of them will take it and run or theyll both play well and it will be closer to 50/50. One has a bad game switch it up 

4 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

Now we circle back to OEL

Haha wouldn’t that be something... at this point we would probably need them to take both Eriksson and Beagle back so we have enough cap in 2021-22 to extend Hughes, Petterson, and Demko.

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

I suspect there have been some tendered, but their RFAs are being a little patient to see if they can stay in Tampa.  If it becomes clear that money can’t be moved out, I can see offer sheets.  it gives the RFAs some control over their destination compared with getting their rights traded.

We didn’t have the luxury of time on our hands to wait for that process the shake out.  We had a half AHL defence.

Offer-sheets rarely work and kind of have that prohibited sense around the league. Ruins relationships too.

We also have some pretty good young players. Hate to have that reputation when they will need raises... 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

It would also cost a 1st round pick on top of that 3rd round pick IIRC

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Offer-sheets rarely work and are kind of have that prohibited sense around the league. Ruins relationships too.

We also have some pretty good young players. Hate to have that reputation when they will need raises... 

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I wouldn’t offer sheet Cernak. Make a fair trade something has to give with Tbay. Keep a good relationship going. The Miller trades been great. I wouldn’t wanna trade a first again but a prospect and another pick or something. Who knows maybe we can keep getting players from their stacked team lol

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Offer-sheets rarely work and are kind of have that prohibited sense around the league. Ruins relationships too.

I'm sure that every year there are several offer sheets tendered but never signed.  The offer sheets merely establish what the market value for the player is.  The player agent then presents this to the players GM and he matched the best offer without the player having to sign the offer sheet.  This ensures that the player and agent get the most money out of the deal.  So although they are rarely used, offer sheets are an important way to ensure players get reasonable value.  I bet Cernaks agent has a fistful of offers right now.

35 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

How soon people forget it has only been 5 years since we placed Markstrom on waivers.

He came a long ways in his time here with Clark.

I'm half expecting Markstrom to falter if he is played too much or doesn't have a good coach who understands his play.

12 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Niether coming for this upcoming season though, unfortunately. 

They will be here when the next KHL season ends around march 12th.

About a month before nhl playoffs usually start.

So if the next nhl season starts in January,  podz and Tryamkin will have longer to adjust to the nhl game. 

2 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

It's been a long time since I've seen a fleecing like this! Not sure of the player totally just yet, but in terms of trade value... pretty lopsided. I guess Vegas doesn't care, they got AP to replace him.

I suspect they had other offers if Vegas retained some salary hence the fleecing. It’s not a bad contract for what we’re getting but a lot of teams have issues just like us. It was really nice to make that trade today without giving up anything significant