The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Nate Schmidt to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

9 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Interesting, the team that beat us get better and heavier while we help them do it by taking the crumbs of their table. 

Pietrangelo is much bigger than Schmidt and produce up to 20 points more.

This is more of a desperate move by Benning in my view. He had to do something... I had waited til we could get one of the best. 

I hope Schmidt prove me wrong though. 

Crumbs? WTF? A top 4, well balanced dman for a 3rd round pick at roughly 1-2 million below market value for the next 5 yrs and you hope he proves you wrong

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

When your club is crappy at drafting top 4  D men.... u usually have to pay steep  on the UFA market.....

Good thing Vegas drafted crappy top 4 D men then.

And Calgary.

And St. Louis.

Nope, none of those teams drafted good D men at all.... you say some of the most ignorant stuff ever.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

You should've been banned, and you were. Then you squirmed your way back in. You had the intent, so there was really no excuse. It's got nothing to do with a different opinion.

Now you can judge intent? And over the internet? Ok.

Back on topic: great trade by Benning :)

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

He'll still be 33 when the contract is done (if I did the math correctly looking at Capfriendly).  Most people liked the Edler signing at 6 million and he'll be 35 once his contract expires

Edlers was a better player and the heart and soul of our d. 

I understand fans on these boards get excited seeing new players on the team but having a 4th dman eat up 6 mill of our cap is going to handcuff us for years down the road.

Benning panicked.  

• Haha 2
  • Wat 6

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

Now this is hilarious 

Well, I'm sure they were happy to unload the contract as they had to get rid of something before making the Pietrangelo signing official.  

:bigblush:

Seriously though, Schmidt isn't crumbs and I doubt this would've been the first contract Vegas would have like to have traded away especially for such a little return.  But, that's what happens when all the NHL teams know you need to shed cap.  Not going to shed a tear for them.

• Upvote 1

So does Rafferty slot in then, or do we add a defensive bottom D on the right side? I'm thinking we need a trade in the AHL 2 way contract to plan for injury? I'm not sure who, but I can feel that trade coming soon.

Oh, and for those not recognizing this as a smart fleecing... it's not even next years 3rd pick, it's the year after that! Vegas had to unload the contract with no salary retention, and we were probably the only team that offered that with just a pick going the other way.