The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Nate Schmidt to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

21 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Hes not top pairing.

Hes 30 yrs old and hes going to eat up 6 mill of our cap until ges 36.  

Im a big believer in Benning, but this was a brutal.

How do you justify not signing Tanev now?

He's 29. And has 5 years left, so he'll be 34 years old when his contract expires, not 36.

He could also be dealt before then if necessary as he only has a 10-team no trade list.

20 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Now this is hilarious 

Right! While a majority on here get it (all of it), some of the dumb on here is astonishing! Always negative / never happy...and are hypocrites at the same time. Benning do this...Benning does it...Benning why did you do that? Fire Benning!! It makes my brain hurt! 

P.S. Amazing trade!

Edited by IRR
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

Still feel after acquiring Schmidt, JB isn't done retooling this blueline.  I expect another acquisition of some sort for the blueline.  It is clear after watching the playoffs, JB wants a fully mobile dcore to provides waves of attack.

Hughes-Myers

Edler-Schmidt

Juolevi-?

Benn/Rafferty/Chatfield, Brisebois

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, RWMc1 said:

I just noticed that the money saved from Holtby over Markstrom is almost the same as the difference between Schmidt and Tanev.

Neat upgrade the D and understandably downgrade on goaltending(Demmer's the future). If Ian Clarke can work some magic on Holtby maybe we come out better?

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

Neat upgrade the D and understandably downgrade on goaltending(Demmer's the future). If Ian Clarke can work some magic on Holtby maybe we come out better?

While Marky was good for us last year Holtby is the better goalie realistically. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, IRR said:

Right! While a majority on here get it (all of it), some of the dumb on here is astonishing! Always negative / never happy...and are hypocrites at the same time. Benning do this...Benning does it...Benning why did you do that? Fire Benning!! It makes my brain hurt! 

It’s crazy. I get everyone was getting restless. I remained patient believing something would happen but all that aside there’s always a few where no matter what happens they try to put a spin on it to make Benning out as some sort of idiot. What a shame 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

10 minutes ago, Darius said:

cant believe some of the posters in here.  Vegas is a cup contender, this is one of their top pair d men.  Apparently hes the guy that ate the most minutes against the other teams best players.....yet its a bad trade for a third rounder 2 years from now, and its  bad value contract.   What does a d man like this deserver in their minds for it to be good value? 2.5 million?  and maybe it should a been a 7th rounder....some of these guys make me scratch my head.  Not even the HFBoards crowd is pooing on this deal and they hate benning.

Its getting late, as the night goes on people here really must drink too much with some of their stupid comments that pop up

• Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Interesting, the team that beat us get better and heavier while we help them do it by taking the crumbs of their table. 

Pietrangelo is much bigger than Schmidt and produce up to 20 points more.

This is more of a desperate move by Benning in my view. He had to do something... I had waited til we could get one of the best. 

I hope Schmidt prove me wrong though. 

Stick to fluffing never was euro prospects your NHL takes are brutal at best. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

I just listened to Sekeres & Price for a bit and about 10 minutes before the trade went down, they went on and on about "If Benning pulls of the Nate Schmidt deal, we will build him a statue!"  ....  

Then the news comes in and all they can say is "good deal...  Vegas must've been desperate"  ...  and go on talking about Whitecaps. 

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

While Marky was good for us last year Holtby is the better goalie realistically. 

If he can get back to form yeah. Marky is a helluva goalie and was our MVP. That's a big loss but we understandably had to move on. Demko's potential is too great.

Knew something had to be in the works after clearing that cap space letting our guys walk. Pretty sure this is the kind of deal many have been dreaming about Benning actually doing. 

Anyway, hopefully adding Schmidt will help us with one of our main problems from last, the vicious cycle of getting trapped in our end, barely getting the puck out for a change and continuing to be hemmed in. Would be nice to not have to deal with quite so many 20 shot against periods.

• Vintage 1

46 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

lol petey and quinn gonna cost us 20 million

Which is fine. With some of the bad contracts coming off the books next year we can use the limited cap space to bring up more youth and retool the bottom 6. Then the year after that when Roussel, Beagle, and Holtby are gone we'll have 10.3 million + to play with to land a big fish and put the team over the top.