The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Nate Schmidt to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

15 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

(Let Rathbone play the year in the AHL unless he absolutely blows the doors off)

I'm fully expecting that to happen. I think we will find he is the Quinn Hughes (light) kind of player, but with a couple minor gaps for improvement. It probably comes down to who has fewer gaps in their game, Juolevi or Rathbone? And at some point, we probably need to trade one of them for a Right D at about the same age and career trajectory.

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

And they both have Beagle as well. I really like this, both guys coming in having history with at least two other guys makes for a fantastic transition and our room will be much better for it. Not that our guys aren't welcoming or anything, but it really does help having those ties. 

I hope not, he was still effective last season and I want to see him hit 1000 games. 

I fully expect him to, I don't see why he'd up and retire just as this team is competing again. 

Gotta think Schmidt is hungry for a cup after being given away by Washington and then watching his teammates hoist the cup against him the following season.

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Hes not top pairing.

Hes 30 yrs old and hes going to eat up 6 mill of our cap until ges 36.  

Im a big believer in Benning, but this was a brutal.

How do you justify not signing Tanev now?

Schmidt is absolutely a top pair D, and superior to Tanev.

To think this is a bad move, I assume you haven't watched Schmidt play much.

Edited by Master Mind
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

Markstrom and Ekman-larsson are friends... OEL winds up putting us on his list of two....

Holtby and Schmidt are friends...Schmidt winds up landing here.

What's with the goaltender gravity?

Thatcher.....who your friends with!?

It's a team sorta thing, especially if your a top d man on your team.

You can make your goalie look incredible and vice versa. Communication is key.

33 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I wasn’t aware we had a chance to sign Pietrangelo. Not sure what his signing has to do with Schmidt.

You are aware that Schmidt played a big role on that same team that beat us right? How is that table crumbs?

What D men were available that were “the best” in your view? Sounds like you’re just whining for the sake of it.

I haven't a problem using our young players and let them get experiance the next season to know how good they can be. 

Now we have 2 players that can play on the right for 12 mill but none of them is what we needed. 

We need a rhd that get us past Vegas. That is what I'm talking about crumbs. This move holds us behind Vegas and is an obstacle finding our own Piateangelo. 

I rather spend 10 mill on one player like Pietrangelo than 6 mill on Schmidt and Myers... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, austy said:

I always like your insight 189 so curious why you are meh about the trade? 

Thanks. Appreciated. 

The meh part is a genuine response to being this far into free agency, but somehow down a pick, but loaded up with another 6x6 for a sub 200lb Dman meant to replace/upgrade Tanev or Stetcher. 

I get that many fans will be excited by a shiny new toy coming in hot with fancy offensive stats, but do people forget who (which Dman) we scored against on Vegas the most (I think... I just remember being happy whenever 88 was defending against the Canucks because it meant we had a better chance of scoring)? It was this guy. 

It’s an upgrade that came at a minor cost, but also coming during the first few days of free agency where you can typically shop without surrendering picks. I get that it was slim pickings this year, in a sense, but a 6x6?

My first reaction was, meh - ok, it’s a decent player I guess, but... Wtf JB? That’s a lot of money and term for a very unphysical, undersized, and not especially sound defensively-Dman who was part of the reason we won some games against Vegas. This, after loosing two inexpensive decent Dmen who played bigger than they were (Tanev wasn’t physical but could absorb and never ducked a hit making a play).

The contract isn’t all that great. I haven’t read anything in here yet, but I assume there will be some posters ripping on the remaining 6x6. Ripping on the player is probably not happening because if you haven’t noticed, 99% of posters here don’t actually follow hockey outside of the Canucks, and even though most of that 99% just watched this kid for 7 games, how many actually watched him? Lol Probably just as few, otherwise there’d be a whole whack of posts saying we jumped the gun here. I mean it’s not that far from AP term and money. Think about that. Paying stud money for meh. 

I don’t mind the trade. We only gave up (another) 3rd rounder, but my first point is that in a time free agency, why? Well I’m sure JB has his reasons. If we are paying 3rd rounders to take on not-so-great contracts during the first few days of FA, then I’m not sure I like the strategy. And when the player is another softish, I don’t block shots or hit kind of guy, the guy - well, the one D pairing on Vegas which we just dominated in the playoffs, it just doesn’t add up or replace what just walked out the door for the same cost on less term. I guess a guy could have waited another year before finding our next LE. 

In the end, he’s now a Canuck and I trust JB didn’t just make a bad move. I’m happy to have another NHL Dman signed, which is a relief for sure, but this guy isn’t here to play a style I want to watch, so... meh. 

So much for Foote or Savard or whoever. 
Sign Chara and all will be forgiven, JB. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I haven't a problem using our young players and let them get experiance the next season to know how good they can be. 

Now we have 2 players that can play on the right for 12 mill but none of them is what we needed. 

We need a rhd that get us past Vegas. That is what I'm talking about crumbs. This move holds us behind Vegas and is an obstacle finding our own Piateangelo. 

I rather spend 10 mill on one player like Pietrangelo than 6 mill on Schmidt and Myers... 

There’s only one Pietrangelo and you can’t simply go out and just buy a player like him.

I can guarantee that player isn’t currently in our system either and the rookies we do have are going to have to earn it.

As for being behind Vegas that was always going to be the case no matter who we signed. They’re a cup favourite while we are just approaching our window to contend. The majority of the teams in the league are behind Vegas.

Doesnt mean Schmidt is not a good player and he certainly helps move the needle in the right direction for us.

Edited by DeNiro

1 minute ago, Timråfan said:

Exactly.

This move handcuffs us and keeps us behind a bunch of clubs in the conference.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Pretty confident we can squeeze 50 points out of a player on a show me contract.

Whether that be Dadanov or Granlund or someone else.

Yeah good plan.

I think JB has knowledge that Ferland is unlikely to return during the regular season, otherwise we can't really afford Schmidt (puts us over the cap limit when MF returns to the roster).

If MF sits on LTIR, then I estimate we have about $2.5m left to sign a potential "show me" UFA and really squeeze the lemon!

Edited by BigTramFan

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Markstrom and Ekman-larsson are friends... OEL winds up putting us on his list of two....

Apparently Jared McCann.

https://canucksarmy.com/2016/05/13/thatcher-demko-intreview-on-turning-pro-his-bromance-with-jared-mccann-and-jim-benning-s-class/

9 minutes ago, oldnews said:

http://www.vancourier.com/pass-it-to-bulis/both-bo-horvat-and-thatcher-demko-find-inspiration-in-ian-jenkins-1.2136002

Just now, BigTramFan said:

Yeah good plan.

I think JB has knowledge that Ferland is unlikely to return during the regular season, otherwise we can't really afford Schmidt (puts us over the cap limit when he returns to the roster).

If MF sits on LTIR, then I estimate we have about $2.5m left to sign a potential "show me" UFA and really squeeze the lemon!

Isn't Ferland already on the roster? He's not on LTIR as he was part of the playoff bubble, am I correct?