The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Nate Schmidt to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

10 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I would say our top four is now set with Hughes, Schmidt, Edler and Myers. The question now is how will our third pairing look. Based on Benning's comments, I feel there will be an internal battle between Benn/Juolevi/Rathbone/Rafferty/Chatfield for those spots rather than looking externally via trade or free agency.

Fanta out already?

39 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

People really complaining?

Even HFBoards is happy.

On Twitter people are still trying to spin it into a negative somehow. Its nuts.

I was critical earlier today in the Toffoli thread,  but then this happened and hey - a great move is a great move. Crazy how married people can be to their thoughts/opinions. 

• Cheers 3

23 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Gotta think Schmidt is hungry for a cup after being given away by Washington and then watching his teammates hoist the cup against him the following season.

Oh definitely, he was a huge part of that. I dunno if you read the article about him getting that team playing N64 on the road and in hotels, but he was a huge part of bringing that team together. 

I posted this in the Holtby thread the day he was signed.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/articles/braden-holtby-and-then-we-got-mario-kart-tattoos

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I haven't a problem using our young players and let them get experiance the next season to know how good they can be. 

Now we have 2 players that can play on the right for 12 mill but none of them is what we needed. 

We need a rhd that get us past Vegas. That is what I'm talking about crumbs. This move holds us behind Vegas and is an obstacle finding our own Piateangelo. 

I rather spend 10 mill on one player like Pietrangelo than 6 mill on Schmidt and Myers... 

Vegas has lost Statsny, Schmidt, and Cousins.  All key contributors from what I saw.  They are much older than us.  Their key players are not improving they are maintaining or declining.  They have a whole bunch of huge long term contracts.  We have Bo, EP, Boes, Demko and Quinn who will all be better next year.  With injuries who knows what will happen.  I love our team going forward.

Go Canucks Go!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

Fanta out already?

Yeah with Juolevi, Rafferty, Rathbone, Benn....I think that's enough depth for the third pairing and 7/8 D. I would be happy to park Fantenberg in the AHL for insurance if he can't find an NHL contract anywhere else. He is a safe pair of hands.

5 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Great trade. Schmidt > OEL at his cap > Tanev, and only cost us a 3rd.

Contract ends around the time he's 35. Solid term, and will be playing here for a long time. 

He'll actually be 33 (practically 34...July b-day) when the contract expires in 5 seasons.

• Upvote 3
  • Vintage 1

Just now, GhostsOf1994 said:

Fanta is ufa and needs a big raise vs is 750k.

I was pleasantly surprised by his play but unfortunately i doubt he is brought back.

cool.  he is expendable.  gives the prospects a chance to make the roster then 

12 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Great trade. Schmidt > OEL at his cap > Tanev, and only cost us a 3rd.

Contract ends around the time he's 35. Solid term, and will be playing here for a long time. 

One thing people are overlooking with OEL is that we would have likely been sending one of our bad contracts to AZ in that trade to create the space.

OEL is a much better player than Schmidt IMO.

But still,  we would have had to add a valuable player in the package for OEL as well,  at the end of the day Benning did damn good with this trade.  OEL would have been a great addition,  he's one of my favorite Dmen in the league,  but I am still pretty happy with only trading a 3rd for Schmidt,  nice job by Benning to slide in there and get it done. And at the end of the day is smarter than making a trade for OEL giving up more valuable assets 

Edited by CanuckGAME
  • Cheers 2