The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Nate Schmidt to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

I was a big proponent of the OEL trade, but I like this better aswell.

At his peak OEL is the better player but Schmidt has been at or near his level the last few years. And he costs much less to acquire, better contract in $$$ + term, can play the right side, & solidifies our top 4 going beyond Edler. (As was the idea w/ OEL)

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Fanta is ufa and needs a big raise vs is 750k.

I was pleasantly surprised by his play but unfortunately i doubt he is brought back.

Doubt he gets a raise at all let alone a big one. If covid didn't happen sure, but not in this climate 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Exactly, LHD currently is

Hughes

Edler

Schmidt 

Benn

Oj

Rathbone

Brisebois 

Tryamkin 

One of Hughes or Schmidt will play right side. Tryamkin has pretty much played exclusively on the right side.

Wouldn't mind seeing

Edler-Hughes

Schmidt-Myers

OJ-(my preference Ceci)

I’m not sure what people on here think a two-way D that puts up 30-40pts a season is worth but this is 2020 with an $81.5m Cap ceiling not 2005/2006 and a $39m salary cap when those type of defencemen were making $3.5m.  In today’s era, that 8.9% of the Cap ceiling salary is equivalent to $7.3m and today’s $6m cap hit was equivalent to a $2.87m cap hit back in ‘05/‘06.  

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

One of Hughes or Schmidt will play right side. Tryamkin has pretty much played exclusively on the right side.

Wouldn't mind seeing

Edler-Hughes

Schmidt-Myers

OJ-(my preference Ceci)

I wasn't implying what side they will play rather just the left handed d in the system in the next few years 

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

One thing people are overlooking with OEL is that we would have likely been sending one of our bad contracts to AZ in that trade to create the space.

OEL is a much better player than Schmidt IMO.

But still,  we would have had to add a valuable player in the package for OEL as well,  at the end of the day Benning did damn good with this trade.  OEL would have been a great addition,  he's one of my favorite Dmen in the league,  but I am still pretty happy with only trading a 3rd for Schmidt,  nice job by Benning to slide in there and get it done. And at the end of the day is smarter than making a trade for OEL giving up more valuable assets 

I think it depends what else is involved in the trade. I was a big fan of the OEL idea too. The problem is the acquisition cost & that the contract is much worse.

If your giving up a 1st or top prospect, even with Loui or Sutter (which is only short term relief), then I prefer the move we made. If the deal included lesser picks/prospects then maybe I would've preferred rolling the dice on OEL re-gaining #1D form. 

I think considering the extra term + $$$ on OEL's contract, & the rumored ask, this probably fits a little better.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

By big raise i mean, atleast doubling his previous deal. 1.5-2m per?

Still below league average salary For a 6/7/8 ?

Not even that in this climate. 900k-1.2 at most now considering flat cap. 1.5 would be fine in a normal offseason. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

This was a big goal for Schmidt and the Golden Knights to tie the game in the third period of Game 4. From this point on, it gave them a boost and they eventually scored two more to win the game 5-3 and they went up 3-1 in the series.

Hope to see more of him blowing it past Marky in the coming yrs. 

• Cheers 1