The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Nate Schmidt to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

5 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

He will solidify the left side and allow Edler to move on next year and Juolevi to grow into the role.  But if we strike out on RHD he can play both.

I imagine he'll play the right side for us, I also see them bringing Edler back

But what do I know? :P

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah. He played against some of the toughest competition for Vegas too.

I mean we were trying for OEL at 7 years at 8.25M and let Tanev/Toffoli walk so I don't think affording this will be a problem.

Ferland might be put on injury reserve and not count against cap? If that is the case add 3.5 million Dollars...

1 minute ago, MikeyD said:

Good trade but that's another massive contract to take on again. Better hope it pans out. I do like him as a defenseman but I also think he's overpaid. We need to be searching for cheaper contracts, not more expensive ones. Personally I'd rather keep Tanev at 4 over Schmidt at 6.

But for just a third round pick for a legit top 4, can't really complain much.

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

So Schmidt played on the right side in Vegas?

I imagine the other teams interested wanted Vegas to retain salary, which is why we ended up scoring him for a bargain. How do we afford this though?

We had like 8mil before the deal. As long as Virtanen and Gaudette don't cost us more than 5-6mil we can get under the cap by throwing Ferland on LTIR and Baer can be buried in the minors.

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, MikeyD said:

Good trade but that's another massive contract to take on again. Better hope it pans out. I do like him as a defenseman but I also think he's overpaid. We need to be searching for cheaper contracts, not more expensive ones. Personally I'd rather keep Tanev at 4 over Schmidt at 6.

Schmidt is much better D man and great speed and younger and healthier...Great move  Jim Benning..

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Neil HD said:

Ehh...would have wanted Vegas to retain a small chunk of cap, maybe up to $500k

If he records his usual 30-40 points/year pace and be modest defensively for the full deal, it's more than satisfactory

I think Vegas would trade a draft pick to shed a dollar off of their cap, never mind asking them to retain $500k.