The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Nate Schmidt to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

7 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Do you think the addition of Hall alone makes them a contender?

I'm envious of them... they are going to miss the playoffs anyways. By signing this 1 year deal they can trade him at the deadline, 50% retained to a contender for a kings ransom. Think a blue chip and a 1st. 

Or this actually turns the team around. He clicks and you extend him. No lose situation there.

8 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Do you think the addition of Hall alone makes them a contender?

I think a lot will depend on what divisional format is adopted for next season.   If a Canadian division is set up, where we play the other 6 teams 12 times, I see a bit of a dogfight for us to finish in top 4.  For Buffalo, if they are lumped with Boston, Rangers, Islanders, NJ, Washington, Pittsburgh and Philly, I see them in last, or second bottom place in that group.

3 minutes ago, coryberg said:

I'm envious of them... they are going to miss the playoffs anyways. By signing this 1 year deal they can trade him at the deadline, 50% retained to a contender for a kings ransom. Think a blue chip and a 1st. 

Or this actually turns the team around. He clicks and you extend him. No lose situation there.

Or you are in it. Don’t move him and fail to make the playoffs by a couple point. Hall gets his locked up long term in the offseason by another team and Eichel demands a trade 

Edited by Devron44

14 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

He went on to LTIR directly from the bubble. He is not technically on LTIR at the moment, but he will likely go onto LTIR once the roster is set.

He says he's healthy and wants to play.  Canucks can't force him to LTIR - he can get a 2nd medical opinion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I would say our top four is now set with Hughes, Schmidt, Edler and Myers. The question now is how will our third pairing look. Based on Benning's comments, I feel there will be an internal battle between Benn/Juolevi/Rathbone/Rafferty/Chatfield for those spots rather than looking externally via trade or free agency.

Hughes-Schmidt

Edler-Myers

Juolevi-Benn

I’m okay with it but we know we will have injuries and D depth is important for us. If we could steal Cernak from tbay next I’d feel a lot better.

Hughes-Cernak

Edler-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers
Benn

Is a much more formidable and deep blue line. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, mll said:

He says he's healthy and wants to play.  Canucks can't force him to LTIR - he can get a 2nd medical opinion.

Well that would be awesome, but once Gaudette and Virtanen are signed, JB will need to move at least one contract out to fit under the cap, no?

What are our other options? Run with a 21 man roster?...

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So Sam the biggest question we have now is who is going to take the #88?  I will put my money on Nik...

100 %
.. and if the NHL 20-21 season starts in January,.  My hunch is we see him in that number between the end of Feb or April.

.. but he could buy out his Contract and arrive in January before the KHL season starts.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I think a lot will depend on what divisional format is adopted for next season.   If a Canadian division is set up, where we play the other 6 teams 12 times, I see a bit of a dogfight for us to finish in top 4.  For Buffalo, if they are lumped with Boston, Rangers, Islanders, NJ, Washington, Pittsburgh and Philly, I see them in last, or second bottom place in that group.

How does that make Eichel a happy camper?

8 minutes ago, Gaudette Celly said:

That's the part I don't get.  Okay fine, give a player away for next to nothing to get the cap space, but to a up-and-coming divisional rival that fulfills a real need of theirs?

There is an as yet undisclosed element ... after arbitration settles, Virtanen for Tuch to complete the deal

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

I think that giving him a proven scoring winger makes him happy.  That divisional format, if it happens, will depress him

He said he wants to be a contending team. Padding his stats might appease him I guess. If not then Buffalo has to add to get better. They have cap space so they could get a cheap player from the UFA pool. I doubt they take one of our guys but you never know.

Whenever you can get a top 4 defensemen for a mere 3rd round, it’s always a win.  But, this move screams like a desperation move by Benning when he couldn’t get a deal done for OEL. Then, loss out on Barrie, while Tanev and Stecher signed somewhere else.

Team definitely needs another solid player on the backend (Ian Cole, David Savard). Otherwise, I don’t see how this current defensive core is better than what we had last year and even then our defense wasn’t all that great last year. 

Edited by shiznak
  • Wat 4

Just now, Googlie said:

I think that giving him a proven scoring winger makes him happy.  That divisional format, if it happens, will depress him

Eichel would still probably pot 90+ points but there's a lot of question marks after his line on offense. I wonder what kind of Skinner they get next season, it always seems to be different each year with that guy. Even if he's better he probably doesn't live up to that contract.

Fairly young D-core. Jokiharju and Dahlin are only gonna get better.

If they can win games without Eichel having to step up all the time they could do okay. He won most of their games last year.

57 minutes ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

as long as players can back up the cockiness i'm all for it. reaves couldn't against the stars and i loved that. i'm still trying to process how the stars took them out so easily. i know their coach said demko broke them and all but a cocky team like vegas, you'd think they'd rebound but they never got it together. its so weird!

Stars played more aggressively and broke the cycle game much more frequently. I guess they had bit more snarl in their forward group who wasn't afraid to play more aggressively than we did? And when they had the puck, the Stars moved it up the ice pretty fast. Having two stalwarts on the backend made that easy. And of course, VGK started the serious on a goal scoring slump thanks to Demko's stellar performance.

Getting Schmidt gives us a top 4D that can move the puck. OJ also knows a thing or two about moving the puck. It's gonna be an interesting season.

• Cheers 1