The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Golden Knights trade Nate Schmidt to Canucks for 2022 3rd-round pick

Well, I was hoping he'd find a steal in a cap dump from all the other teams signing players, but didn't expect someone with an almost $6M cap for the next 5 years. Schmidt should be a solid player and a help for a lot of that, but hopefully it doesn't handcuff us at all.

2 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Ferland might be put on injury reserve and not count against cap? If that is the case add 3.5 million Dollars...

Yeah but it would make calling up players cap hit more so. OJ would be like a 1.8M cap hit. @mllknows how the LTIR works like that.

Edited by Junkyard Dog

Just now, wildcam said:

Schmidt is much better D man and great speed and younger and healthier...Great move  Jim Benning..

Yeah, not the same style of D-man but objectively better. He's done well vs hard competition while putting up a decent amount offense. He's worth the extra cap compared to what we would have signed Tanev for.

• Like 3
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

We had like 8mil before the deal. As long as Virtanen and Gaudette don't cost us more than 5-6mil we can get under the cap by throwing Ferland on LTIR and Baer can be buried in the minors.

Maybe we have 3.5 million off books from Ferland? Shows Canucks with just under 2 million left..

Great trade solid # 2 guy...

8 minutes ago, D-Money said:

As soon as I heard Vegas was considering moving Schmidt, I hoped Vancouver could do a deal like this.

Even still, the return blew me away. Only a 3rd? What a deal!

Same when I heard he might go to Florida I wished he’d come here but didn’t think Vegas would send him here. Wow shocked really. 

18 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Well.. there’s the “Edler replacement” backup plan after OEL fell through.  Basically a FA signing for that price.  

6 mil contract isn’t cheap but he’s a quality player!  

I think I'd rather schmidt to be honest. 

• Cheers 1

I think Benning made this deal quickly to make sure he secured Schmidt. Ideally there would have been either some retention or a pick coming back from Vegas, but I think management made sure they didn't miss out. Even then, a 3rd is a really good price on paper. That's in the same ballpark as a 5th, which was used to get Gudbranson :lol: