The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nate Schmidt | #88 | D

-AJ-

5 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Pretty sure that most of those people are just hoping we got worse so that they can whine about it to make themselves feel superior.

those people are regular dual citizens with HF Boards. 

Some people just hate Benning more than they like the team. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Absolutely. The way the team is looking now, it is hard to consider anyone who is still whining about Benning to be a fan of the team. The blueline in particular looks better than it has for a decade.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

The WTF's (Waiting To Fails).

We may, we may not.  That's the beauty of this thing and why we play the games.  But it's generally a shared responsibility and no "one" person "to blame" if things go wrong.  It's hockey...you win and lose.  I'd say this team is a success in how they've been progressing and players we have in contention.  The fact that they have to make "tough decisions" about who's in out supports that.

As for Nate...love his energy and how fun he'll make the game.  The only concern I have is with guys like Jake who really need to focus and take it seriously and the impact it'll have on him.  Work boots not party hats.  But Green will keep it all in check...it's part of the reason why you have coaches.  

• Cheers 2

Remember how stoic and quiet/calm the Sedins were, and how Edler still is. Maybe it's the Swedish thing.  But Schmidt seems to be the opposite of them, total extrovert, loud, a little obnoxious, but I'm sure he's bringing a lot of levity to the room. Seems like a great team guy. There needs to be some positivity, if they're having fun and gelling, all the better for the Canucks. And, Schmidt can play the game, he's a very good mobile Dman, vocal, engaged and he can contribute. This should take some pressure off Hughes to provide all of the offence from the backend. Can't wait to start watching games again next week. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

That's almost t-shirt or bumper sticker worthy lol.

Brilliant and succinct James!:lol:

• Thanks 1

On January 8, 2021 at 7:41 AM, Jimmy McGill said:

So annoying listening to those people on some sites..

Added some great veterans, Miller, Pearson, Schmidt, Hamonic, Holdby...

This team is so exciting and can score goals, never give up, very hard working and great character.. 

This ship is heading to the top...Go Canucks Go !

I feel this defence adding Schmidt and Hamonic is best in the Canadian division..One of the best defence in Canuck history.

Now 2 elite D man with Hughes and Schmidt, so so exciting ..

When Benning and group took over May 2014 prospect pool was bad, Horvat and Gaunce...

Benning has added so many good prospects and 2 superstars Pettersson and Hughes..

Drafted, Demko, Virtanen, Tryamkin, McCann, Forsling his first draft 2014....The pipe line of young prospect is amazing, just a few to name knocking on NHL careers..

Juolevi injury fill 3 previous years, Rathbone, Briesbois, Rafferty, Chatfield, Woo, Forwards... Podkolzin, Hoglander, Lind, Lockwood, Gadjovic,Jasek, Costmar,..

In Goal: Dipietro, KIelly.....2020 draft - Jurmo 18, 6'4 D -- Persson 6'2 D Kamloops WHL sleeper in draft,  Ziodeyev C

Edited by wildcam
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 1/8/2021 at 9:40 AM, NUCKER67 said:

Remember how stoic and quiet/calm the Sedins were, and how Edler still is. Maybe it's the Swedish thing.  But Schmidt seems to be the opposite of them, total extrovert, loud, a little obnoxious, but I'm sure he's bringing a lot of levity to the room. Seems like a great team guy. There needs to be some positivity, if they're having fun and gelling, all the better for the Canucks. And, Schmidt can play the game, he's a very good mobile Dman, vocal, engaged and he can contribute. This should take some pressure off Hughes to provide all of the offence from the backend. Can't wait to start watching games again next week. 

Schmidt Micd up talking to the quiet Elder.  "Solid chat today, that's all I need from you" "A lot of chat, let me know"  Schmidt is hilarious 

https://www.nhl.com/canucks/video/camp--schmidt-micd-up-on-day-2/t-277437438/c-7191858?q=schmidt

• 2 weeks later...

My criticism of Nate Schmidt so far is that he has not outplayed his D partner Edler who is much older. He is also not as flashy or notable as Tyler Myers who has made some nifty plays skating the puck out of D zone. At the start of the season, I expected Schmidt to be a noticeable upgrade over Edler and Myers. So far, he is just as leaky as Myers in the D zone and yet not as exciting in the O zone as Myers. He does not take as many penalties as Myers though. 

• Wat 1

So far he's not as much of an offensive driver as he was for Vegas in the playoffs against us last summer.  But I'm okay with that.  He's still getting our system down and concentrating on his defensive responsibilities, which obviously come first.  For all his brashness, that's the right approach when you're new to the team.  Also, how much worse would our defensive record be if he was going full river-boat gambler?  Still think him and Edler will be a great 2-way pairing once they get the measure of each other and settle in.

2 minutes ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

I like what I've seen so far. Good skating and passing, and he's only gonna start to look better once he gets comfortable here with the systems and players.

I think in a month or so we'll start to see him rack up some points.

Did the boys have a practice day today? 

Hoping for a win tomorrow night. 

I know that the Sens are going to come out hard. I would be very surprised if the game tomorrow was anything like Monday's game. 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Did the boys have a practice day today? 

Hoping for a win tomorrow night. 

I know that the Sens are going to come out hard. I would be very surprised if the game tomorrow was anything like Monday's game. 

Yeah they did. I imagine they'll be getting every practice they can in for the time being to try and get all the new guys up to speed as quick as possible.

Looks like their other goalie is Hogberg so we might have a battle of the Hogs at some point this week... not that I would be upset to see Matt Murray in net twice more!

Now, I'm still in the same camp that Schmidt was a steal of a deal. His resume is solid.

But I'm wondering how long it will take for him to gel with the rest of our team. So far, not so much. I barely notice him out there. 

When the real Schmidt comes to play, it will make this team that much more potent.

On 1/27/2021 at 12:26 PM, EternalCanuckFan said:

Schmidt and Miller are amusingly opposite in terms of mood.  They can both be loud, and they both seem to be great teammates, but Miller seems chronically grumpy whereas Schmidt seems chronically chipper.

Miller: 

Schmidt: