The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nate Schmidt | #88 | D

-AJ-

On 2/11/2021 at 11:33 PM, dougieL said:

Playing with good players typically makes one's job easier. Is this a novel concept?

I mean, we got some pretty good players. Horvat, Pettersson, Miller, Pearson, Hughes, Höglander, etc. They're not all bad. Defensively, yes, not as good for sure a little lacking. The team's systems, or the players haven't bought in for whatever reason, but it's not because of a lack of talent. This team has talent and game changing ability. They're just not playing like a team. Schmidt should be playing better. Our forwards for all of their talent, should be playing better. 

This team shouldn't be at 6-11 - hopefully not 6-12 by this time tomorrow. If they are 6-12 by this time tomorrow, I think change is coming. Someone's getting fired. It's almost next to impossible to recover from being 6 games under .500 in a really difficult division this season. 

How many games need a defenceplayer worth 6 million need to look great on the ice?

Tanev slipped in nicely beside Hanifin in Flames. 

Is that because Tanev is a better defence player than Schmidt or because his surrounding players is better or because coaches strategies are better or because...  

How much cost a defence player that shows instantly that he's a great player when playing with the Canucks? 

1 hour ago, MrCanuck94 said:

This guy was on the top pair play against the highest QoC on one of the best teams in the NHL last season. Comes here and looks like an average top 4 guy.

Is it the player or something else?

He was put into a 5v5 match up role with McNabb. Now he's giving up the puck at a higher rate than he was with Vegas/Caps.

Perhaps he isn't a good fit with Edler. Perhaps the team's systems we play don't suit him. Perhaps he needs a better fit for a partner. Perhaps it's a combination of these things.

Watching him in Washington and Vegas, he played in solid teams with solid structure and often had a pretty decent partner. Now he's all over the place but it was from day 1 - not connecting on passes, boggling pucks and just looking a bit sluggish. I wonder if this was all more due to the lack of preparation and now exhaustion than a different system, but he's still struggling in Baumer's defensive system (as all of our defenders are).

It's a hard system to play when there's zero support but even that aside, he's looked bad at times. Certainly not worth his money which is a shame because up until this season, on paper he's far superior all-around to Tanev.

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Watching him in Washington and Vegas, he played in solid teams with solid structure and often had a pretty decent partner. Now he's all over the place but it was from day 1 - not connecting on passes, boggling pucks and just looking a bit sluggish. I wonder if this was all more due to the lack of preparation and now exhaustion than a different system, but he's still struggling in Baumer's defensive system (as all of our defenders are).

It's a hard system to play when there's zero support but even that aside, he's looked bad at times. Certainly not worth his money which is a shame because up until this season, on paper he's far superior all-around to Tanev.

Congrats has to go out to JB again

• Haha 1

Honestly, saying Schmidt is our second most important defensemen on our team is not an indictment of his ability, but lack of quality defensemen this organization has.

Both Hughes and Myers have been arguably better. Edler has been just as good as Schmidt by almost any metric out there, so the narrative that Schmidt is carrying the pairing really doesn’t hold. Schmidt leads the team with 23 giveaways, second most with 17 (Myers). Schmidt had 39 giveaways in only 59 games last year. All this along with 0 offensive production.

Schmidt hasn’t been god awful, but he certainly hasn’t been great. Schmidt’s been an average top 4 defenseman so far - certainly not worth the $6M price tag. It’s possible the media overhyped him too much. His advanced stats weren’t actually relatively good in Vegas... Vegas is a possession juggernaut that dominated teams day in and day out, thus propping his numbers up. He had negative CF% and FF% during his 3 year tenure in Vegas. I think the BenningBros and media shills were jumping the gun on saying he was a surefire top pairing dman. He’s surpassed 72 games once. He’s never surpassed 36 points in his career. He’s scored only 3 powerplay goals in his career. His shooting percentages when he scored 7 and 9 goals respectively were way higher than career average. He’s a #3/4 being paid $6M right now... not a great use of cap space.

15 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I don’t think it’s coincidence that we’ve been one of the worst defensive teams while baumer has been here. There’s a reason we look pretty good on paper but look like trash at times on the ice. 

• Thanks 1

I am looking forward to seeing how Jett Woo's season unfolds.  So far he has been looking very good in Utica.  Utica plays tonight at 4pm PST.  I will watch Utica first and then just slide in for the Nucks game.  B)

• Cheers 1

Smitty is finally looking like he is starting to fit in. His play has been rather underwhelming to start the season, but with a new team, no preseason, almost no training camp, and no time to practice or rest, that was an easily foreseeable situation.

We are seeing more and more of the top quality Dman we traded for as he gets more comfortable with his new team. 

I have to to laugh at the posters on this page who are whining about his play and his salary, taking their last chance to hate on him, JB and Baumer while they still can, before he adapts to the point where whining about him becomes obvious trolling.

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Smitty is finally looking like he is starting to fit in. His play has been rather underwhelming to start the season, but with a new team, no preseason, almost no training camp, and no time to practice or rest, that was an easily foreseeable situation.

We are seeing more and more of the top quality Dman we traded for as he gets more comfortable with his new team. 

I have to to laugh at the posters on this page who are whining about his play and his salary, taking their last chance to hate on him, JB and Baumer while they still can, before he adapts to the point where whining about him becomes obvious trolling.

Definitely agree. The last 4-5 games I've seen him make decisions quicker as he's getting used to new teammates, systems, and learning how TG wants him to play. My prediction at the start of the season was that it would take him and Holtby at least a month to settle in - I hope what we've seen from both of them recently is more indicative of their play going forward.

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

I agree with most of what you’re saying, though I still think Baumer has to go. Weird for people to complain about Schmidt’s play when you consider he had no camp and is on a new team, but complaints regarding our defensive play as a team are justifiable. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

The passes he tries leaves me shaking my head occasionally. A lot of giveaways in our own zone have resulted in goals against or forcing the keepers to make incredible saves. There was a few times Petey converted those same bad passes into goals during the nucks vs vegas playoffs. Schmit openly chuckled about that in his welcome to Vancouver video. Other than that he's been a most welcome add to our blueline.

3 minutes ago, Dannydog said:

The passes he tries leaves me shaking my head occasionally. A lot of giveaways in our own zone have resulted in goals against or forcing the keepers to make incredible saves. There was a few times Petey converted those same bad passes into goals during the nucks vs vegas playoffs. Schmit openly chuckled about that in his welcome to Vancouver video. Other than that he's been a most welcome add to our blueline.

If he tried those plays in Vegas he'd get his knuckles wrapped. Different style and more suited to his game