The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nate Schmidt | #88 | D

-AJ-

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Who plays Meyers’ minutes?  He’s a top four minute muncher, who plays the hardest matchups, and PK.  He’s big and pretty durable too.  And he adds offence.  Who do we get that can play those minutes for 6 per, that doesn’t cost us a huge amount in trade?  All Myers cost to acquire was money, as a UFA.  If we trade for a guy, we need to factor in the cost to get him too.  What’s that cost worth in our overall team plan?  And add that cost to the newly acquired player.  Is that guy going to be more cost effective than Myers?  He’d have to be one hell of a player to both play Meyers’ minutes, and also cover the cost of getting him.  No, it’s best to keep Myers and stay the course.  

It’s true, he plays lots of minutes. But the results when he’s on the ice are not very good. (A trend that goes back pretty far.) And he doesn’t play “the hardest matchups”. Last year most of those went to Edler and Schmidt. And in the playoffs, when his physicality is a big asset, the rest of his game has seemingly dried up. He doesn’t have a single point in his last 16 playoff games. In the bubble he was a -5, and his penalties were a big problem.

So if a guy plays big minutes, but when it matters most produces no offence, allows goals against, and puts you shorthanded more than any player in the entire league... maybe getting someone else to play those minutes is at least a consideration?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not going to completely crap on Myers. He’s a serviceable #4 defenseman. It’s just what he gets paid for that is far too high, and it’s not going to get better as he gets older. If Seattle wants to take that financial burden on, I think it would be in the team’s best interest not to stop them. I think Hamonic is as-good-or-better, and would cost far less to retain. And there should be some talented D available at the draft for a discount, due to the expansion draft.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

the thing i worried about prior to and early in the season was schmidt's goofy demeanor rubbing the coaches the wrong way or not meshing well with his teammates. watching that video doesn't confirm those suspicions necessarily, but the other guys certainly don't seem to find him all that funny. 

26 minutes ago, tas said:

the thing i worried about prior to and early in the season was schmidt's goofy demeanor rubbing the coaches the wrong way or not meshing well with his teammates. watching that video doesn't confirm those suspicions necessarily, but the other guys certainly don't seem to find him all that funny. 

Conform Nate! Conform!

On 6/1/2021 at 4:44 AM, FaninMex said:

Or we had a season with no exhibition games while on a new team with different playing styles. I would not trade him after a year where most of the team played horrible. Remember Pettersson and the top line had a horrible beginning of the season. For the first 20 games it was Sutter, Beagle lines that carried the team

Its a tough market.  But?

Every year there is one or four guys. On D and up front that fall between the cracks. By trade? Or later in UFA when the big $'s have already been handed out.  Last year Florida picked up Wenbberg who provided some value.  We picked up Schmidt. Galchenyuk was on waivers. Flo also picked up Forsling for nearly free; he even sometimes played 20 minutes a night? We picked up Hamonic.

Oddly enough Wennberg is UFA again this off season. And they traded for Sam Bennett. Who has sorta stolen some of his ice time.  

It proves you need both the right deal. And right situation for a middle situation player to actually perform.

4 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Its a tough market.  But?

Every year there is one or four guys. On D and up front that fall between the cracks. By trade? Or later in UFA when the big $'s have already been handed out.  Last year Florida picked up Wenbberg who provided some value.  We picked up Schmidt. Galchenyuk was on waivers. Flo also picked up Forsling for nearly free; he even sometimes played 20 minutes a night? We picked up Hamonic.

Oddly enough Wennberg is UFA again this off season. And they traded for Sam Bennett. Who has sorta stolen some of his ice time.  

It proves you need both the right deal. And right situation for a middle situation player to actually perform.

You are willing to go with that and trade him away in a year which saw our whole D have off years. As I stated in my post, there were a lot of things that went wrong and would have effected the D primarily as it is a more difficult position than a forward.

I think a lot of you will be sorry he is gone and roast JB next year if he does trade him.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, FaninMex said:

You are willing to go with that and trade him away in a year which saw our whole D have off years. As I stated in my post, there were a lot of things that went wrong and would have effected the D primarily as it is a more difficult position than a forward.

I think a lot of you will be sorry he is gone and roast JB next year if he does trade him.

I will admit I was disappointed in his play. That said the d-zone play was bad across the board. If the decision is made to move him it is no different than any deal. What comes back? I have to think that the team comes out stronger next fall and that Schmidt plays better as well. His trade value would improve. 

• Cheers 3

47 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I will admit I was disappointed in his play. That said the d-zone play was bad across the board. If the decision is made to move him it is no different than any deal. What comes back? I have to think that the team comes out stronger next fall and that Schmidt plays better as well. His trade value would improve. 

we haven't seen extensions yet for the assistant coaches. We'll see, maybe we get the same d group back with new coaches that can get the best back out of Nate. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Donnie and Dhali were reporting the resurfacing rumour this morning that it appears that Nate Schmidt wants out of VAN. He's a fun guy, maybe not having so much fun here though. 

Might want to live south of the border.  He has a 10 team no trade list.  I wonder if six of those are the other Canadian teams?  

Just now, Alflives said:

Might want to live south of the border.  He has a 10 team no trade list.  I wonder if six of those are the other Canadian teams?  

He's happy on the outside, but probably sad on the inside. Played for WAS, got traded to the new Vegas team, and WAS won the Cup. Then the Knights were a Cup contender and he got traded to VAN - and they were bad. Real bad. Maybe it's the room? Miller looks like he doesn't tolerate too much s*** and speaks his mind. Maybe he put Schmidt in his place a few times. He also played poorly last season and there are expectations for him here. 

Maybe Benning shouldn't trade for any more Vegas players. They're leaving a very fun, winning environment to join a team still trying to figure out who they are. Silly take, I guess.

• Vintage 1