The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nate Schmidt | #88 | D

-AJ-

11 hours ago, MrCanuck94 said:

Good soundbite from Friedman. Not really a trade request but the fit hasn't been great and if the Canucks can find something that works better for both sides, to move forward with that.

I really like Schmidt but wouldn't mind replacing him with more of a defensive minded RHD with the emergence of Rathbone.

Hughes - Hamonic

Rathbone - Larsson

Juolevi/Edler - Myers

Would be a solid 6. Hughes and Rathbone on each PP unit, Hamonic, Larsson, Myers, Edler and Juolevi on the PK units.

Once in a while I imaging myself making a living by tweeting words like "Maybe".

But then I think, no can do, Elliotte is alrady filling that role.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, that would be pretty stellar. I'd move out Schmidt to clear Eriksson (and their combined $11.9m) while adding Hamonic and Larsson for sure.

Hughes, Larsson

Juolevi, Hamonic

Rathbone, Myers

*Edler as 7th rotating in for the two green horns at roughly 50 games each.

Agreed on Savard, mostly because of age. Wouldn't hate seeing this kind of thing regularly though :wub:

Yeah. Would have to get rid of Schmidt unfortunately. 

Would mean less offense from the backend with Hamonic and Larsson. 

Hughes, Hamonic

Juolevi, Schmidt

Rathbone, Myers

What happens if this is the defensive corps entering into next season? 

5 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Hughes, Hamonic

Juolevi, Schmidt

Rathbone, Myers

I'm fine with either personally. Schmidt's a better player than he (or the rest of the team) showed this past season. Yes, Schmidt has more offense than Larsson/Savard but they're also far superior defensively and grittier/harder to play against. And Rathbone likely replaces some of that offense in that scenario anyway. Between him, Hughes and '3rd assist' Juolevi (not to mention Myers), offense isn't really a shortcoming of our D anymore. 

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm fine with either personally. Schmidt's a better player than he (or the rest of the team) showed this past season. Yes, Schmidt has more offense than Larsson/Savard but they're also far superior defensively and grittier/harder to play against. And Rathbone likely replaces some of that offense in that scenario anyway. Between him, Hughes and '3rd assist' Juolevi (not to mention Myers), offense isn't really a shortcoming of our D anymore. 

I wonder what we could get for Schmidt, if Benning does end up trading him...

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Agreed.  I would much prefer shifting our defense towards more guys who are strong in their own zone.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Hughes, Hamonic

Juolevi, Schmidt

Rathbone, Myers

Even if the team comes back with this defense, I think Brad Shaw will be able to get more out of them than Nolan BumGardner ever did. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Even if the team comes back with this defense, I think Brad Shaw will be able to get more out of them than Nolan BumGardner ever did. 

Yea. I'd agree with this. I think Shaw's defensive systems are going to be much better than Baumgartner's "system" 

I mean, under Baumgartner, it seemed like the entire defense didn't now how to play. 

Curious to see how Shaw will improve the system. 

Just now, N4ZZY said:

Yea. I'd agree with this. I think Shaw's defensive systems are going to be much better than Baumgartner's "system" 

I mean, under Baumgartner, it seemed like the entire defense didn't now how to play. 

The defense was extremely passive under BumG. Look no further than how St. Louis and Columbus played in the last decade for an idea of how Shaw coaches defense. I do think that the defense will come back with a couple of different players that Shaw might have been tapped to provide counsel on. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

While our defensive structure was certainly sometimes questionable and has room for improvement, I think a lot of our so called 'defensive woes' are actually due to poor puck support from the forwards, poor coverage/backchecking from the forwards and generally not playing as a 5 man unit. The D is going to look bad when they have no one to pass to going forwards, and no one covering trailing men etc coming back.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, aGENT said:

While our defensive structure was certainly sometimes questionable and has room for improvement, I think a lot of our so called 'defensive woes' are actually due to poor puck support from the forwards, poor coverage/backchecking from the forwards and generally not playing as a 5 man unit. The D is going to look bad when they have no one to pass to going forwards, and no one covering trailing men etc coming back.

Yea, but is the team not playing as a five man unit because of the defensive system, or is that Green's issue? 

12 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Yea, but is the team not playing as a five man unit because of the defensive system, or is that Green's issue? 

Hard to say how much is Green, Baumgartner, that our key guys are largely inexperienced kids, that we had a bunch of offseason changes (and corresponding leadership vacuum), too little practice time, no real preseason, weird Covid season, actual team Covid outbreak, etc, etc... 

All of the above? :lol:

• Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Hard to say how much is Green, Baumgartner, that our key guys are largely inexperienced kids, that we had a bunch of offseason changes (and corresponding leadership vacuum), too little practice time, no real preseason, weird Covid season, actual team Covid outbreak, etc, etc... 

yeah, that's probably all true to some degree or another. lol. 

hoping that a proper pre-season will give the team time to gel, and practice on systems. 

I think they'll be better as a result of it, but i'm not sure how much better they'll be. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

So Schmidt's apparent "upbeat vocal" personality has annoyed some enough to get us here?

Without a doubt losing will frustrate but JT for one sure seemed bothered a lot. 

I'm guessing he's the type you wouldn't want to get on the wrong side of:mad:

Sh*t man this situation's going south fast.

We'll be lucky if anyone takes him and his 4yr. 5.9mil. and we just lose the third pick it cost us.

A winning team starts in the dressing room that's why we had to take OJ:)

Could you imagine having Matthew Tapuke as a teammate ;(

7 minutes ago, Cat Man said:

So Schmidt's apparent "upbeat vocal" personality has annoyed some enough to get us here?

Without a doubt losing will frustrate but JT for one sure seemed bothered a lot. 

We'll be lucky if anyone takes him and his 4yr. 5.9mil. and we just lose the third pick it cost us.

Don't believe the hype. 

19 minutes ago, Cat Man said:

eh, there's a lot of rumors out there. Benning and his team has, surprisingly, kept things very close to the vest. So not sure what's going on behind the scenes. 

I think last year was definitely an outlier, but Benning and his team hasn't really inspired a ton of confidence I can see that with fans, and apparently with the players themselves. So we'll see. 

26 minutes ago, Cat Man said:

You’re saying Schmidt is like Matt Tkatchuk as a teammate?  

4 hours ago, Googlie said:

Some Seattle fans think that Francis could take Eriksson in the ED if they get Schmidt in a trade for a late round pick.  That works for me too  - almost $12 million off the books. 

That would be an amazing scenario so obviously it won't happen :lol: .. I'd even retain 50% on Eriksson to make it happen.

Relieving 3 mill of Eriksson's cap with no impact on future years and another 6 mill from Schmidt to play with free agency would be a huge asset.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, MrCanuck94 said:

That would be an amazing scenario so obviously it won't happen :lol: .. I'd even retain 50% on Eriksson to make it happen.

Relieving 3 mill of Eriksson's cap with no impact on future years and another 6 mill from Schmidt to play with free agency would be a huge asset.

I find it hard to believe that it's even a suggestion from Seattle.

I would think they'd claim Holtby AND get Schmidt for a cheap price.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Hughes, Hamonic

Juolevi, Schmidt

Rathbone, Myers

Rathbone brings the offence we lose and tbh, if you' look at it as a direct comparison, Schmidt didn't put up great numbers with us so the impact of losing him for someone like Larsson wouldn't be a huge offensive loss.

As a whole, we may be better off offensively and defensively, which should be the goal.

• Vintage 1