The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nate Schmidt | #88 | D

-AJ-

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

You’re saying Schmidt is like Matt Tkatchuk as a teammate?  

The personality dynamic of the room/team I would imagine is always in flux.

So when it come's out "things aren't working in the marriage" what seems the more likely issue?

Tkatchuk creeps me out, like he's unhinged hence the teammate...OJ draft pass comment. NS perhaps just jabbered and shot his mouth off too 

many times till the dynamic got out of hand.

Surely it's been a tinderbox period for all and maybe the ordeal of the season pushed personalities to a brink.

I DON"T KNOW I"M JUST MAKING THIS UP AS I GO::D      

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Cat Man said:

I DON"T KNOW I"M JUST MAKING THIS UP AS I GO::D      

So you DO work in local media then?

:P

Case in point:

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Interesting take by FanSided ....

https://thecanuckway.com/2021/07/07/canucks-where-could-nate-schmidt-be-traded-to-part-1/

(Eye-opening stats too!!)

Sweet Gordie that's a horri-bad proposal. Like wow, that's impressively inept :shock::picard:

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'm kind of confused by this situation, in part because the reporting has been all over the place but also in part that it just doesn't all add up for me.

Coming in Schmidt was clearly hurt by the trade out of Vegas, as both sides had made a big commitment to each other. But he seemed very positive, like a great team guy, and having just played against VAN saw the high-end young talent that had this team on the rise. 

The season was obviously a total disaster on many levels. From the strict protocols, to the COVID outbreak, to the general team performance (including not having Petey). And individually Schmidt could've been better, but I actually thought he was just fine - not bad like some are characterizing it now.

All year he came across like a character guy that was positive, it seems odd that he would do a 180 on the market after just 1 season & demand out. Also b/c of the protocols there's no way he got the full experience & upside(s) to playing here.

Jim came out and denied it, which made sense to me (thinking it was more rumour than fact, for the reasons listed^) but now here we are again.

I know Friedman was on 650 saying (essentially) both sides had an understanding that he would prefer to move on - which didn't sound like a hard 'demand' -  but I trust Elliotte isn't pulling that out of his ass

If they can find a way to improve in dealing him, then fine. But if not I gotta believe there's a chance we can win him over. This situation isn't as horrible as some make it out to be.

Also a sidenote; I saw people were bashing the local media credibility in the other thread, and I agree. Lots of great posts, Bieksa really put them in their place on 650. These guys constantly send negative messaging on almost every topic - watch Carolina/Florida/Nashville broadcasts/post games & compare the difference.

I could see Nate not being thrilled with how his/the team's season went, and being open to a move.

Sure.

I could also see the team being high on Rathbone who plays a similar (albeit far less developed) role and being open to relocating Nate's $5.9m cap towards a grittier, more defense oriented D (Larsson if Kypreos is correct), likely with some change leftover to allocate towards a F as well.

I doubt he's 'demanded a trade' though. That's just media spun melodrama.

Edited by aGENT

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

I could see Nate not being thrilled with how his/the team's season went, and being open to a move.

Sure.

I could also see the team being high on Rathbone who plays a similar (albeit far less developed) role and being open to relocating Nate's $5.9m cap towards a grittier, more defense oriented D (Larsson if Kypreos is correct), likely with done change leftover to allocate towards a F as well.

Is Nate a core piece thats untouchable, or a nice to have piece that a team would move if the right deal came along? 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

Is Nate a core piece thats untouchable, or a nice to have piece that a team would move if the right deal came along? 

Exactly. I think we got that answer last summer when VGK moved him to be sign for piece, AP.

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sure.

I could also see the team being high on Rathbone who plays a similar (albeit far less developed) role and being open to relocating Nate's $5.9m cap towards a grittier, more defense oriented D (Larsson if Kypreos is correct), likely with some change leftover to allocate towards a F as well.

Drance and Friedman don't think he has asked for a trade.  

4 minutes ago, mll said:

Drance and Friedman don't think he has asked for a trade.  

Futa said the same thing on 650 yesterday.  The media here know they need to talk Canucks to have anyone listen, so they make up stuff.  Notice their are no stupidly made up things about soccer, football, basketball, or any other sport - local, national, or international?  For sure there must be made up crap floating around in the media cesspool about these other sports, but our media knows their audience doesn’t care.  Do they make up their own crap about the Canucks.  

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Exactly. I think we got that answer last summer when VGK moved him to be sign for piece, AP.

the media tries this kind of crap every year. Brock was the target last year because the media decided he was the "movable" guy :lol::picard:

Of course Nate is tradable. But Jim's not looking to dump him, retain money, get an extra 4th, or downgrade his defence. Some of the trade ideas are pretty silly. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Sure.

I think that's getting a little ahead of ourselves on Rathbone. Schmidt was used in matchup roles last season, I don't think Rathbone is coming up in the same role. Nothing against Rathbone it's just Schmidt came in as a matchup D with Vegas & sort of 'replaced' Tanev (caliber wise) as a reliable matchup guy here. 

Is OEL more of a DFD at this stage? I was of the idea his strength was more offense.

Im iffy on OEL, made more sense last summer. Taking on that whole contract could be a big mistake.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd say a 'core piece' that isn't untouchable..?

Moving him out without a good replacement just to appease him makes no sense. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

My guess is Jim has a had a call or two on Schmidt (or called a few teams about a player and they were interested in Schmidt as the return), so he asked for his limited NTC list so he can actually investigate his options. 

I would expect this happens with a lot of players every offseason and doesn't mean the team is "looking to move" him. I would be surprised if they're actively "shopping" him. But it's still good to see what is available and what it would cost around the league.

All that to say: I would be surprised if the chatter about a Schmidt trade is a complete fabrication- rather, I think it might be a bit of an embelishment or an asumption based on half of the story. Who knows though, this is just one fan's guess.

Edited by MattJVD
  • Cheers 1

I don't think they should trade Schmidt.  Sure he had an unimpressive season; most of the players did as well.  Over and above all the other crap going on, Schmidt was a newcomer, trying to learn the system, get to know the guys, all the while dealing with all the other stuff going on.

Nate is a SC champion, who has a very good playoff record.  You don't replace him with a rookie (Rathbone) if you want to wind.

I also think that he is a better and more complete player than Myers; although I would prefer he play on his natural L side.

I would like to see JB bring in a better player than Hamonic to partner Quinn.  Maybe a guy like Montour.  Has to be an RD that has vision in the defensive and offensive game.

Quinn        Montour

Schmidt     Hamonic

Joulevi       Meyers/Bogosian

Unfortunately, this lineup is probably too much $ for the cap.  Perhaps Meyers could be traded and then bring in a player like Bogosian to play alongside Joulevi.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

21 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I don't think they should trade Schmidt.  Sure he had an unimpressive season; most of the players did as well.  Over and above all the other crap going on, Schmidt was a newcomer, trying to learn the system, get to know the guys, all the while dealing with all the other stuff going on.

Nate is a SC champion, who has a very good playoff record.  You don't replace him with a rookie (Rathbone) if you want to wind.

I also think that he is a better and more complete player than Myers; although I would prefer he play on his natural L side.

I would like to see JB bring in a better player than Hamonic to partner Quinn.  Maybe a guy like Montour.  Has to be an RD that has vision in the defensive and offensive game.

Quinn        Montour

Schmidt     Hamonic

Joulevi       Meyers/Bogosian

Unfortunately, this lineup is probably too much $ for the cap.  Perhaps Meyers could be traded and then bring in a player like Bogosian to play alongside Joulevi.

It doesn't take away from your point, but Schmidt was on Vegas when the Caps won the cup.

Edited by MattJVD
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I think that's getting a little ahead of ourselves on Rathbone. Schmidt was used in matchup roles last season, I don't think Rathbone is coming up in the same role. Nothing against Rathbone it's just Schmidt came in as a matchup D with Vegas & sort of 'replaced' Tanev (caliber wise) as a reliable matchup guy here. 

Is OEL more of a DFD at this stage? I was of the idea his strength was more offense.

Im iffy on OEL, made more sense last summer. Taking on that whole contract could be a big mistake.

I'd say a 'core piece' that isn't untouchable..?

Moving him out without a good replacement just to appease him makes no sense. 

I'm not suggesting Rathbone would replace his hard minutes. That would be Larsson in my scenario.

But I do think Rathbone projects to be a ' future Schmidt' and would/could replace his offensive usage with a guy like Larsson taking over his harder minutes.