The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nate Schmidt | #88 | D

-AJ-

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Schmidt is a pretty good Dman, he had a bad year, like most of the Canucks. 

Can he have a bounce back year playing under Coach Shaw?  Should they trade Miller instead?

Neither lol

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I think that's getting a little ahead of ourselves on Rathbone. Schmidt was used in matchup roles last season, I don't think Rathbone is coming up in the same role. Nothing against Rathbone it's just Schmidt came in as a matchup D with Vegas & sort of 'replaced' Tanev (caliber wise) as a reliable matchup guy here. 

Is OEL more of a DFD at this stage? I was of the idea his strength was more offense.

Im iffy on OEL, made more sense last summer. Taking on that whole contract could be a big mistake.

I'd say a 'core piece' that isn't untouchable..?

Moving him out without a good replacement just to appease him makes no sense. 

I think thats all correct. We dont want to rush Rathbone. If hes ready great but Nate could be a great player for us yet.

18 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think thats all correct. We dont want to rush Rathbone. If hes ready great but Nate could be a great player for us yet.

Again, in that scenario, Larsson would be taking over hard minutes. Rathbone would still very much be eased in. We just wouldn't need a D with Schmidt's offensive upside, we'd need a cheaper, grittier, defensive guy (like Larsson) to cover the hard minutes and be the 'safe' guy on Hughes pair.

• Vintage 1

20 hours ago, MattJVD said:

It doesn't take away from your point, but Schmidt was on Vegas when the Caps one the cup.

It doesn't take away from your point, but Schmidt was on Vegas when the Caps won the one cup. :P:)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Again, in that scenario, Larsson would be taking over hard minutes. Rathbone would still very much be eased in. We just wouldn't need a D with Schmidt's offensive upside, we'd need a cheaper, grittier, defensive guy (like Larsson) to cover the hard minutes and be the 'safe' guy on Hughes pair.

so you're thinking Rathbone-Myers? 

Edited by Jimmy McGill

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

so you're thinking Rathbone-Myers? 

Hughes, Larsson

Juolevi, Hamonic

Rathbone, Myers

Edler to rotate in with the green horns for +/- 50 games each, between the three players.

• Vintage 3

26 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Hughes, Larsson

Juolevi, Hamonic

Rathbone, Myers

Edler to rotate in with the green horns for +/- 50 games each, between the three players.

What about Schmidt?  Trade him just to clear his cap?

26 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If to Philly I think we have to take back salary.  Maybe Schmidt for Konecny?  

Might work, gets us a younger guy that can play wing. We probably have to add. I think Laughton or Couturier work far better at 3m and 4.3m for us but will Philly move one of those guys. Probably not.

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Might work, gets us a younger guy that can play wing. We probably have to add. I think Laughton or Couturier work far better at 3m and 4.3m for us but will Philly move one of those guys. Probably not.

We likely end up with keep Schmidt, and win the Cup.  Then Benning can say the best trades are sometimes the ones you don’t make. 

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

What about Schmidt?  Trade him just to clear his cap?

In the scenario I was taking about there, it was for Larson's rights and 20th OA.

Yes that likely clears $1-2m as well as Larsson is bound to be cheaper.

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

In the scenario I was taking about there, it was for Larson's rights and 20th OA.

Yes that likely clears $1-2m as well as Larsson is bound to be cheaper.

That would be a fabulous return!  Go Benning Go!  And get ‘er done! :frantic:

i honestly think schmidt had a rough year, maybe because he was playing with brickler all season. his value certainly dropped meaning less teams will want to give the return we are looking for. I would jump on a second round pick and wouldn't flinch if we got a 3rd.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

i honestly think schmidt had a rough year, maybe because he was playing with brickler all season. his value certainly dropped meaning less teams will want to give the return we are looking for. I would jump on a second round pick and wouldn't flinch if we got a 3rd.

Canucks got Schmidt for a 3rd when his value was higher. Now Schmidt just looks like a bad contract Benning has to get rid of if he really wants out of Vancouver.

Canucks would be lucky to get a 2nd. My prediction is that Canucks will probably have a deal like Schmidt and Canucks' 2nd for the other teams 3rd and 5th round pikcs

7 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Canucks got Schmidt for a 3rd when his value was higher. Now Schmidt just looks like a bad contract Benning has to get rid of if he really wants out of Vancouver.

Canucks would be lucky to get a 2nd. My prediction is that Canucks will probably have a deal like Schmidt and Canucks' 2nd for the other teams 3rd and 5th round pikcs

Schmidt should remain in Vancouver, he will more than likely have a bounce back season. That said he is not getting traded for a 2nd or 3rd round pick type of return, his value as a defenseman the Canucks need is far greater, take into account other clubs know the player he is not what is perceived by some as a big contract on a poor performer.

Maybe he is packages to make a significant upgrade at the defense position but not removing a very good defenseman for picks.

• Vintage 1

17 hours ago, aGENT said:

Hughes, Larsson

Juolevi, Hamonic

Rathbone, Myers

I'd do the pairings like:

Hughes Hamonic

Rathbone Larsson

Juolevi Myers

Imo:

- Hughes will bounce back to his rookie year effectiveness, where he made a bottom pair Schenn play above his weight, thus not necessary to put the best shutdown D we have with him.

- Putting Larsson (who I consider to be better than Hamonic defensively atm) with Rathbone ensures the rookie has a solid partner to cover up for his rookie mistakes.

- Juolevi and Myers seems like a good pair to me. Juolevi's defensive awareness gave Myers the opportunity to jump up into the play more often.

15 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Schmidt should remain in Vancouver, he will more than likely have a bounce back season. That said he is not getting traded for a 2nd or 3rd round pick type of return, his value as a defenseman the Canucks need is far greater, take into account other clubs know the player he is not what is perceived by some as a big contract on a poor performer.

Ideally that would be the best case scenario but I think if a guy wants out of organization he's probably going to cause more harm than good in the locker room.

As for a bounce back season if Schmidt isn't happy in Vancouver he's likely not going to step up with the organization. Similar to Ryan O'Reilly or Taylor Hall when they were in Buffalo they needed to leave the organization for them to be able to bounce back again 

Unfortunately, when it's all said and done, we might have to accept this is another Loss in the list of Benning's moves as a GM. Unless if the later round pick Canucks gets from Schmidt ends up a steal 

Edited by iinatcc

27 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Ideally that would be the best case scenario but I think if a guy wants out of organization he's probably going to cause more harm than good in the locker room.

As for a bounce back season if Schmidt isn't happy in Vancouver he's likely not going to step up with the organization. Similar to Ryan O'Reilly or Taylor Hall when they were in Buffalo they needed to leave the organization for them to be able to bounce back again 

Unfortunately, when it's all said and done, we might have to accept this is another Loss in the list of Benning's moves as a GM. Unless if the later round pick Canucks gets from Schmidt ends up a steal 

Does he actually want out...?

• Cheers 2