The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nate Schmidt | #88 | D

-AJ-

20 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I’m thinking Schmidt will end up back in Vegas. 

Sort of what I was thinking...back to Vegas for the Canucks 2022 3rd round pick.

With Fleury gone and Martinez reported to have re-signed for $5M AAV, the Knights have about $7M cap left. Only player left to sign for Vegas would be Nolan Patrick, so they would have $1M left for him, or a little more if Canucks took back a player (maybe Keegan Kolesar who has a $750K cap hit?).

Or do the Canucks retain $1M of Schmidt's contract to take back their 3rd and a player like Kolesar (if Patrick needs to be paid north of $1.5M).

Edited by bigbadcanucks

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He's worth a bit more than that. Vegas were in a bind so they had to dump him to acquire Pietrangelo. 

Canucks are potentially in a bind as well...especially if they need to match a $10M offer sheet for Pettersson.  As per edited previous post, maybe Canucks are able to get a Roy or Kolesar as an add on to the third pick. 

To some degree, the Canucks have some leverage, but as time passes, it's become evidently clear (at least to me) that Schmidt doesn't want to be in Vancouver or any other Canadian city.  Thinking he wants to be in a state income-tax free zone.

Just now, bigbadcanucks said:

Canucks are potentially in a bind as well...especially if they need to match a $10M offer sheet for Pettersson.  As per edited previous post, maybe Canucks are able to get a Roy or Kolesar as an add on to the third pick. 

To some degree, the Canucks have some leverage, but as time passes, it's become evidently clear (at least to me) that Schmidt doesn't want to be in Vancouver or any other Canadian city.  Thinking he wants to be in a state income-tax free zone.

Haven't heard any concrete evidence on an offersheet. I will be glad when this is over. The minutes I've lost are adding up. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, bigbadcanucks said:

He's gone to Winnipeg.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He's gone to Winnipeg.

Our banter is all but a moot discussion...was going to post the same...3rd round pick, lower down than if they got their own pick back.  I'm thinking the Canucks needed the cap space more than the player himself.

Now, the Canucks can go ahead and lock down Pettersson (apparently they are $500K apart...can't remember the source) ahead of tomorrow and sign Hughes, Dickison, Hamonic, Schenn, back up goalie, and a fourth line centre with the $26.0M they have left.

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Haven't heard any concrete evidence on an offersheet. I will be glad when this is over. The minutes I've lost are adding up. 

Speculation and rumours...fuelled by Rick Dhaliwal (who blows a lot of smoke, but is plugged in).  Hope the best/prepare for the worst as it relates to Pettersson's contract status.

Yah, my wife is upset that I haven't been attentive enough to her since Friday.  Hope you're not losing time/productivity from your work...me, I'm retired, so I just need to deflect the daggers my wife is throwing at me.

Edit: I'm back on Dhaliwal's bandwagon after he called that goofball Tanbir (you probably know him as the annoying caller into the sports radio stations) a moron on the air today.  Donnie was asking Dhaliwal if Tanbir was his cousin and Dhaliwal guffah'd it off after calling him a moron.  Classic Dhaliwal.

Edited by bigbadcanucks
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bigbadcanucks said:

Speculation and rumours...fuelled by Rick Dhaliwal (who blows a lot of smoke, but is plugged in).  Hope the best/prepare for the worst as it relates to Pettersson's contract status.

Yah, my wife is upset that I haven't been attentive enough to her since Friday.  Hope you're not losing time/productivity from your work...me, I'm retired, so I just need to deflect the daggers my wife is throwing at me.

I was “working”. 

• Cheers 1

• 2 months later...
18 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Schmidt with 7 points, already has nearly half the point total as his year with Vancouver.

Yes there are players that won't gel with every system, but I think this is a clear example that our systems need to drastically change.

Maybe our defensive systems.

A counter-example would be Garland, who is a perfect fit in Vancouver.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Maybe our defensive systems.

A counter-example would be Garland, who is a perfect fit in Vancouver.

Our defense and defensive systems are easily our weakest points, and have been for years.

Schmidt should have helped with this. Him thriving in Vegas and now Winnipeg should be an eye opener to the organization that we need this addressed.

Shaw was supposedly the answer, but I'm not so sure that's the case. Time will tell.

12 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Our defense and defensive systems are easily our weakest points, and have been for years.

Schmidt should have helped with this. Him thriving in Vegas and now Winnipeg should be an eye opener to the organization that we need this addressed.

Shaw was supposedly the answer, but I'm not so sure that's the case. Time will tell.

Agreed, I think we need to really re-vamp the defensive structure.

It's great to see guys like Garland score well and perform well because our forwards often pinch and play aggressively, leading to turnovers and goals, but we play a similar way on our defence and that just leads to a mess. 

You have to go back to the AV years to find some more solid/safe defensive structures. I know the prime years of 2011 were a bit of an anomaly, but that was how to create a playoff-bound defence; around 4-5 solid defensive guys (Bieksa, Mitchell, Edler, Salo and Tanev) and one strong puck mover who can score (Ehrhoff). Then AV goes and puts them all in positions to succeed - Edler and Ehrhoff together for the most part with Edler usually hanging back, Bieksa and Mitchell were basically a shutdown pair who you would rarely see pinch (although Bieksa used to do some bad pinching in his time, he did it rarely and smartly during the 2011 season) and then you've got Salo and Tanev who were as safe as it gets. Most importantly, AV never had guys like Salo or Tanev playing far apart the way they have the defencemen now, and rarely pinching stupidly without cover. AV played a simple system, 2 D-men back, centers back, 1 forechecker at times. Green plays with almost a rotating forecheck of 1 or 2 forwards, the center may be anywhere and we really get into trouble when the defence are pinching as well which they often do, or get caught up ice the way Hughes often does.

Personnel really isn't a problem, we've got a very solid top-4 and to be fair a pretty weak 3rd pairing, but I think our top-4 are under-performing compared to what they could be doing with a better all-around structure. It's not just the defensive coach though, it's the links between forwards and defence and more team defence, which is why one or two coaching changes aren't going to improve them. Sadly we need to get rid of Green to really see an improvement on defence. Sure, our forwards will struggle a bit more and not pot as many goals, but we won't give up as many stupid chances against, and at the end of the day teams who win championships defend well first and score second. Green's mentality is far more aggressive/offensive-based which isn't going to take us far against teams who can defend well first and foremost.

4 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Shaw wasn't made the coach of the blueline.  That job is still Baumers.