The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nate Schmidt | #88 | D

-AJ-

8 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Agreed, I think we need to really re-vamp the defensive structure.

It's great to see guys like Garland score well and perform well because our forwards often pinch and play aggressively, leading to turnovers and goals, but we play a similar way on our defence and that just leads to a mess. 

You have to go back to the AV years to find some more solid/safe defensive structures. I know the prime years of 2011 were a bit of an anomaly, but that was how to create a playoff-bound defence; around 4-5 solid defensive guys (Bieksa, Mitchell, Edler, Salo and Tanev) and one strong puck mover who can score (Ehrhoff). Then AV goes and puts them all in positions to succeed - Edler and Ehrhoff together for the most part with Edler usually hanging back, Bieksa and Mitchell were basically a shutdown pair who you would rarely see pinch (although Bieksa used to do some bad pinching in his time, he did it rarely and smartly during the 2011 season) and then you've got Salo and Tanev who were as safe as it gets. Most importantly, AV never had guys like Salo or Tanev playing far apart the way they have the defencemen now, and rarely pinching stupidly without cover. AV played a simple system, 2 D-men back, centers back, 1 forechecker at times. Green plays with almost a rotating forecheck of 1 or 2 forwards, the center may be anywhere and we really get into trouble when the defence are pinching as well which they often do, or get caught up ice the way Hughes often does.

Personnel really isn't a problem, we've got a very solid top-4 and to be fair a pretty weak 3rd pairing, but I think our top-4 are under-performing compared to what they could be doing with a better all-around structure. It's not just the defensive coach though, it's the links between forwards and defence and more team defence, which is why one or two coaching changes aren't going to improve them. Sadly we need to get rid of Green to really see an improvement on defence. Sure, our forwards will struggle a bit more and not pot as many goals, but we won't give up as many stupid chances against, and at the end of the day teams who win championships defend well first and score second. Green's mentality is far more aggressive/offensive-based which isn't going to take us far against teams who can defend well first and foremost.

I do think personnel is part of the problem. Comparing our current group to the one you just posted, and I think the current group is behind on every pairing.

The defense has never been fixed during Benning's tenure, but also even if he acquired a group as talented as the 2011 group, there's no telling it would be as successful with our current defensive systems.

4 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Shaw wasn't made the coach of the blueline.  That job is still Baumers.

Yes, unfortunately.

I think the hope around here was that Shaw would help Baumer with changing/improving the systems. Perhaps that can still happen, but that may be expecting too much.

• Cheers 1

• 3 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

Enjoying playing cross border to Minnesota so fair it seems like.

Off to a good start offensively.

Probably happy to get out of Van looking from afar this season...

He more or less predicted this was gonna happen and requested a trade... I mean.. he volunteered to go to Winnipeg.... Another claw at coach Green how the same Schmidt went from below average play with us to 1st RD on the Jets, almost ppg pace playing 22 minutes a night. We gifted the Jets for a 3rd too. 

Edited by Drakrami

• 3 months later...
On 10/14/2020 at 1:04 AM, Dannydog said:

Just watched Nates first media news zoom minutes ago. What a great attitude this guy has. It honestly makes me love this trade more so than just the stats and  video i've watched since him joining our roster . I bet ya he slides right in to the nucks" tight knit group" seamlessly. 

Yep looks like he's going to fit right in the Canucks locker room :P

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1