The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nate Schmidt | #88 | D

-AJ-

19 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Smart JB praying on loaded teams with cap problems, it was either Vegas or Tampa. We did get lucky as well, Vegas were stupid to trade within their own division (not sure why they didn't ship him out far to Florida?) but we'll take it of course.

I'd like to think he starts with Hughes. Myers had some nice chemistry going but I worry he's just not strong enough defensively whereas you can trust Schmidt. He'll be more exposed playing with a wheeling Hughes compared to a slightly more sturdy Theodore and in a much more run and gun style than the Vegas 5 man defending unit, but hopefully he'll adjust to the system quickly.

Great player who's really grown since Washington and will probably play out his career here, let's hope he can just maintain good quality defending for at least 3-4 years. Perfect contract replacement for Edler as well, that leaves us with a solid top-3 the next few years going forward.

Top 3? Are you calling Myers a top 3 dman? Or are you already anointing Rathbone a top 3 NHL dman before he's played a single game in the league? As I see it, we have a top 2 and 4 question marks after next year. We'll see how the kids develop and luckily cap space frees up with the other expiring contracts so Benning can bring someone else in if needed

On 10/12/2020 at 8:11 PM, naslund.is.king said:

Cdc: one second the skys falling and everyone should be fired. The next second its sunshine and rainbows

And he doesn't have a injury record 2 miles long (Tanev)  Nor a middling Stech who as much as I like him didn't fit into the plan of a big stay at home D or a offensive PMD.

A top 4 D is harder to find that a top 6 forward (Toffoli) and we have a potential top 6 forward in Hoglander already waiting who needs experience so I don't see this as a surprise but I think Jim is done until training camp is over with a good look at how the other D is progressing, ala Rafferty, Chatfield, etc.. adding someone from the top 4 right off the farm is unlikely unless it's a phenom so it was a logical choice and kudo's to Jimbo to backload motte for a season to save cap and then sign Big Mac to a show me deal.. I'm not disappointed at all here... I just can't wait for all the rewards when the team really gets going but pretty happy about Schmidt arriving with his kind of experience? Perfect! 

• Cheers 3

4 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

And he doesn't have a injury record 2 miles long (Tanev)  Nor a middling Stech who as much as I like him didn't fit into the plan of a big stay at home D or a offensive PMD.

A top 4 D is harder to find that a top 6 forward (Toffoli) and we have a potential top 6 forward in Hoglander already waiting who needs experience so I don't see this as a surprise but I think Jim is done until training camp is over with a good look at how the other D is progressing, ala Rafferty, Chatfield, etc.. adding someone from the top 4 right off the farm is unlikely unless it's a phenom so it was a logical choice and kudo's to Jimbo to backload motte for a season to save cap and then sign Big Mac to a show me deal.. I'm not disappointed at all here... I just can't wait for all the rewards when the team really gets going but pretty happy about Schmidt arriving with his kind of experience? Perfect! 

And Jim ain’t done yet. Looking for a larger, more aggressive defenseman for the bottom pairing, I hear. 

42 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

And Jim ain’t done yet. Looking for a larger, more aggressive defenseman for the bottom pairing, I hear. 

Oh? Where did you hear that from?  I'm hoping JB keeps Tryamkin out of the fold until Seattle ED is over and then sign him for the season after if need be but I love that freight train, Brashear was the only guy like him on the team and boy do we miss that, even McSorley can attest to that action.. getting it on D is the best a fan can hope for...

Is Nate Schmidt like the equivalent of adding a J.T. Miller on defence? I think it might be lol.

Miller cost a 1st, 3rd, and Mazanec? Schmidt cost a 3rd in 2 years time.

hmmmmmmmmm. is it really that bad of a trade. :lol: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Echo Park said:

If we were to compare him to any previous Canucks defensemen who would his comparable be?

I have an idea of who I think he could be like, but I want to see what you all think!

Ben Hutton. Just better at everything. Same style imo.

17 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Damn this guy is a beauty. Even plays in Da Beauty League. How we got this guy for a 3rd is blowing my mind right now.

What an interesting interview.  Thanks for posting.  I wasn't sure about this guy but I like his personality.  I hope that translates into good chemistry with his teammates (seems likely) and good play on the ice (also likely).  Seems like another quality add for very little in exchange.  Of course we still have to pay him but I think we got a keeper here for a very low purchase price.  Well done Jim.  Go Canucks Go!

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Thraxious said:

Like many over the past day I've been researching more about this player to see what he will bring.   From what I am hearing we landed a defenseman who can rack up points, plays more often than naught against the other teams top players and is constantly positive +/-.  We have this player locked up for 5 more years @ under 6m which from the above sounds like a very team friendly term/cost.  Topping this all off, we only paid a 3rd in two years.

Then this guy gets on a zoom call and puts his heart on a sleeve and shows he's human.

Already a fan.

Agreed.  One of the best player interviews I've seen in a while.  I usually just go through them or have them playing in the background while doing chores but he had me paying attention all interview with awesome sound bites like "boeser's a good egg", "eat some pucks for dinner". "dont tell anyone but I get paid to have fun" etc. lol.

@NUCKER67 He definitely wants to play here.  Good buddies with Holtby and we're his favorite road city.  Love's the christmas market we have as he buys his mom an ornament from it every year.  Character in spades.

Also wanted to add that I could see every one of those plays in his highlights being made with our high end forward.  I would not be surprised to see him uptick his point totals with us.  He also gives us a legit PPQB for the second unit AND replaces Tanev for 3on3 OT all while being a solid 2 way defender.  Loving this trade more and more.

Edited by Petey Castiglione
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

He's got to be careful when he says he prides himself on playing top minutes. Travis Green is gonna play him to death. 

He led Vegas for on ice time during the playoffs. He was second during regular season. I expect him to log the most minutes for the upcoming Canucks season. I expect him to kill penalties and quarterback the 2nd PP unit. 

Edited by Maddogy

44 minutes ago, Maddogy said:

He's got to be careful when he says he prides himself on playing top minutes. Travis Green is gonna play him to death. 

He led Vegas for on ice time during the playoffs. He was second during regular season. I expect him to log the most minutes for the upcoming Canucks season. I expect him to kill penalties and quarterback the 2nd PP unit. 

Eh Tanev played less when we got Myers. A part of the reason he was healthy(for the most part).

Still see Myers eating up a lot of minutes. Especially on the PK with Tanev gone.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Eh Tanev played less when we got Myers. A part of the reason he was healthy(for the most part).

Still see Myers eating up a lot of minutes. Especially on the PK with Tanev gone.

Good point and Eddy will get his minutes as well (but also benefit from a little less ice time). Top 4D is really solid now if Schmidt or QH play on the right side. Sign a defensive physical RD for the third pairing and let Joulevi go and things are looking much better on D all of a sudden.

• Vintage 1

Just now, J-P said:

Good point and Eddy will get his minutes as well (but also benefit from a little less ice time). Top 4D is really solid now if Schmidt or QH play on the right side. Sign a defensive physical RD for the third pairing and let Joulevi go and things are looking much better on D all of a sudden.

Schmidt plays the right side and has the last 3 years.

One of OJ's bright spots this year has been his PK ability per end of the season reports on him.  I can probably see him eating some of those minutes with Edler-Myers now being the 1st unit PK D.

Likely see Schmidt take Myer's #2 PP spot unless maybe Schmidt can work on the #1 unit with Hughes and then drop a forward down. Then OJ can take #2 PP spot. Point being we'll have more options on the PP which is always nice.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

he's way better then both of them. 

Offensively? Better than Myers there is a good case, but I'm not sure better than Edler. What numbers point to that?