The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] What if Seattle expansion draft was this offseason

I think if the Seattle expansion was this off season, Seattle would've become another Vegas and taken advantage of the flat cap deals due to Covid19. 

I would imagine the Seattle team would have these players:

Hall-Stastny-Toffoli

Palat-Tuch-Johnson

Fast-Koivu-Hoffman

Eakins-Beagle-Watson

Brodie-Schmidt

Krug-Tanev

Vatanen-Stecher

Markstrom

Korpisalo

Plus a bunch of draft picks traded to them from other team to not pick good players off their team.

I would say that this team would be just as good or even better than Vegas team during their inaugural year.

How would you guys think the Seattle team would look if the expansion draft was during this off season with the UFA market being more of a buyers market compared to any other year.

• Wat 1

Seattle would need to draft 30 players, one from each team.  If they have money left over they could then go after the UFA's like everyone else.  Those UFA's you mention would have cost Seattle well over $40 million.  I highly doubt they would have had that much cap space after selecting their 30 players.  And why would all those UFA's want to sign with an expansion team?  Makes no sense.  Also, Alex Tuch would never be left unprotected by Vegas, he's one of their best players.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

So they aren't drafting anyone but only signing FA's that may already eat up most of their cap?
Unless they take every team's 1st round pick not to draft the guy they had in mind, not sure why they'd just sign all the FA's.

4ibbwn.jpg

Edited by Dazzle
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

It's a flat cap next season too. So it may be a similar market of UFA's

Won't make any difference for the Canucks, Benning just capped out the team and committed over 25 mil in contracts coming up at the end of next year. And will still have 20+ mil in dead money and bottom six

Edited by Lazurus

6 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Seattle would need to draft 30 players, one from each team.  If they have money left over they could then go after the UFA's like everyone else.  Those UFA's you mention would have cost Seattle well over $40 million.  I highly doubt they would have had that much cap space after selecting their 30 players.  And why would all those UFA's want to sign with an expansion team?  Makes no sense.  Also, Alex Tuch would never be left unprotected by Vegas, he's one of their best players.

Vegas is also exempt from the expansion draft.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

I think if the Seattle expansion was this off season, Seattle would've become another Vegas and taken advantage of the flat cap deals due to Covid19. 

I would imagine the Seattle team would have these players:

Hall-Stastny-Toffoli

Palat-Tuch-Johnson

Fast-Koivu-Hoffman

Eakins-Beagle-Watson

Brodie-Schmidt

Krug-Tanev

Vatanen-Stecher

Markstrom

Korpisalo

Plus a bunch of draft picks traded to them from other team to not pick good players off their team.

I would say that this team would be just as good or even better than Vegas team during their inaugural year.

How would you guys think the Seattle team would look if the expansion draft was during this off season with the UFA market being more of a buyers market compared to any other year.

Vegas is exempt from the expansion draft so you're implying Vegas would just trade all their players to Seattle?

8 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

That's where the OP is wrong. They draft 29 players, one from every team except Vegas. Vegas isn't going to receive any portion of the franchise fee and hence, they don't lose a player.

The fact that Schmidt is on the roster as well as Tuch does not make sense as you pointed out but also just plain wrong since Vegas isn't part of this draft.

And so many UFAs. 

Seattle will ice a decent roster, that's the point of paying 500 million dollars to start a franchise.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I think just based on the FA market and the low prices on FA but you are right that they need to pick from 30 teams. Am wondering if they could maybe pick players on 2 way contracts that would be sent straight to AHL with picks as their benefit of picking said player. For example Seattle picking someone like mcewann instead of picking virtanen or Gaudette but also getting a 2nd or 3rd round pick as compensation of not picking virtanen or gaudette. So this way, Seattle accumulates tons of picks, gets a strong farm team because of getting good players on 2 way deals and would have enough cap space to get most of free agents in the market. Free agents would pivk seattle because Seattle would give them more money and term vs.the competition. Also some of the players I have in the roster came with 1st round picks from teams trying to dump players like Johnson.

2 hours ago, khay said:

That's where the OP is wrong. They draft 29 players, one from every team except Vegas. Vegas isn't going to receive any portion of the franchise fee and hence, they don't lose a player.

The fact that Schmidt is on the roster as well as Tuch does not make sense as you pointed out but also just plain wrong since Vegas isn't part of this draft.

And so many UFAs. 

Seattle will ice a decent roster, that's the point of paying 500 million dollars to start a franchise.

Schmidt would be cap casualty, same with Stastny. They would use some picks that they recieved as compensation to get Tuch out of vegas. So no, I didnt have vegas as part of expansion draft but trade deals that allows vegas to open up cap space for pietrangelo who would not sign in Seattle.