Sign in to follow this  
Provost

[Rumour] Gallagher Extension talks at Impasse

why Benning not offering TT 4year/17 mil???????

we don't have to lose any asset...

4 minutes ago, tan said:

I’d rather give up an asset to get a bigger, younger, faster winger. 

Alex Tuch for example.

• Upvote 1

Brendan Gallagher montreal-canadiens.svg

Age 28 May 6, 1992
Edmonton CAN
Right Wing shoots right
5'9" 175 cm
184 lbs 83 kg

small and smart per se.

I would do this deal

Virtanen, Tryamkin, and a 2nd

for 

Gallagher and Juulsen(if he's healthy)

If Gallagher was signed longer it would cost more but this trade is good for both teams. The Habs are a bit over the salary cap and this would get them under

This give us 2 of the best lines in the NHL and a good(although concussion-prone) RHD prospect to balance our pool.

Miller EP Gallagher

Pearson Bo Boeser

5 hours ago, mll said:

From today: 

Jim rolling into Bergevin's DMs like 

Anthony Adams Rubbing Hands Blank Template - Imgflip

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, CDBudz55 said:

Virtanen

Pearson

1st

Thoughts? Would a 2nd be enough instead of the 1st? MTL gets two legit NHL'ers (1 being their new guy TT's buddy) plus a great pick.

I'll hang up and listen.

take out the first add add brisebois and I would do that in a heartbeat

30 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

take out the first add add brisebois and I would do that in a heartbeat

Which is a good indication that Montreal wouldn’t touch it.  Also, Montreal doesn’t have the cap space to do it 

The other side of the coin is that if we can free up that sort of cap space, would we be better off gaining assets by taking a decent player off another cap strapped team than using assets to trade for Gallagher and then having to sign him long term?

What could we get as a sweetener to take one of Palat, Killorn, Johnson, or Gourde from Tampa as their desperation increases?  They come with less term remaining than Gallagher would probably command as a UFA next offseason.

All of those guys have either full of partial trade protection and certainly aren’t planning on waiving it to go to Ottawa.  What motivation do they have to go from a winning team with low taxes to a losing team where they will take home less money... just so another player can get paid their money instead?

Ottawa has the cap space but not the cash for those contracts in any case.  Boston, Columbus, and maybe Buffalo have both the cash and cap space to add a big ticket like that right now.... that is about it, and certainly no indication any of those teams is interested in doing Tampa a favour.

I’m thinking Gallagher will ask for a trade soon. Just got a feeling. 

• Huggy Bear 1

24 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I’m thinking Gallagher will ask for a trade soon. Just got a feeling. 

I don't think the relationship is that bad, and no need to alienate a ton of fans that love him.  He has a decent chance of being on a good Montreal team, so no pressing need to move on yet.

He can affect the same result by his agent simply saying, "we don't intend on negotiating until after this season to avoid any distractions".  Then the Montreal brass has to decide whether they will trade him now or risk him walking for nothing later.  They might decide they can cut bait now and get assets as well as use that money elsewhere for this year.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Provost said:

I don't think the relationship is that bad, and no need to alienate a ton of fans that love him.  He has a decent chance of being on a good Montreal team, so no pressing need to move on yet.

He can affect the same result by his agent simply saying, "we don't intend on negotiating until after this season to avoid any distractions".  Then the Montreal brass has to decide whether they will trade him now or risk him walking for nothing later.  They might decide they can cut bait now and get assets as well as use that money elsewhere for this year.

He’s only making $3.75m this season. I doubt they could improve the team with that sort of cap space compared to what he brings.  I don’t see Bergevin panicking here.  He has 3+ months before the season even starts. They’ll have a cooling off period then take another run at it. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Provost said:

Fine. We’ll take Shea Weber. Bergevin can take half Shea’s remaining salary and suck it. nhl GIF by SB Nation

• Hydration 1

How is this even a story. They have a whole year to hash it out and if not, easily trade him at the deadline.

12 hours ago, tan said:

We never had the cap space for TT in the first place without BB down.   He was never coming back - said this for months, goaltending and defense always take priority.    With those two done, actually need to make a minor trade or buyout someone just to fit AG and JV.    Doubt the starting lineup is going to change much at all from what we currently have.   Maybe closer to the season if Ferland starts on the LTIR something could be done or trading Pearson,  but I don’t like the idea of dipping into next years cap one bit.   Number one priority at this point is signing both EP and QHs to extensions for cost certainty.   EP is offer sheet eligible and it would also make it a lot easier to navigate the ED - knowing if for example dangling Myers is a good play (and I’m very much against that idea - lose him we won’t find another guy that easily to replace what he offers)....

7 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

:picard:

spacer.png

To be fair the draft is a total crapshoot, sometimes even with the first few picks. Heck,  look no further than Nail Yakupov. You never know. Who would have thought arguably the best goalie in the NHL over the past decade plus would be a 7th round pick (Henrik Lundquist). 

Also looking back, the whole Mike Gillis era had completely poor drafting. The draft class you’re alluding to, we didn’t have a single player even make the NHL ever. Yikes! 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

:picard:

spacer.png

I $&!# on the Gillis era drafting a lot but it isn’t fair to criticize a specific pick in the 5th round. At that point of the draft, it is going to be a crapshoot.

2 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

I $&!# on the Gillis era drafting a lot but it isn’t fair to criticize a specific pick in the 5th round. At that point of the draft, it is going to be a crapshoot.

Yes you're right, but at that point,  why not take a home town kid who played for the giants ...

Their center depth is weak and have an excess of wingers. I wonder if they'd look at Sutter+ (maybe a Brisebois or a pick) to bring in Gallagher. Cap is roughly the same.

It's just posturing.

MTL has tons of cap space next year as a lot of their players becomes UFA (like Gallagher).  And plenty of time to try and re-sign. Or trade away at the trade deadline. 

• Upvote 1