The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rank our top 4 Dmen

Rate this topic

Arrow 1983

This is my ranking of our top 4 Dmen

Hughes is a clear #1 Dman

Schmidt is a clear #2 Dman. Puck moving Dman who plays well in his own end. Doesn't produce like a #1  

Edler was a Clear #2 and now our #3 Dman this is a great trade for Edler relieves a lot of pressure off of him. I rank him as our #3 due to his age and because Schmidt has a better outlet pass could call Edler a 2b Schmidt is a little more physical as well.

Then there is Myers shows glimpses of being a solid #2 but most of the time looks like a #3 or #4 dman he is our currently most over paid Dman.  He has the Capability of playing physical when he wants to and has a decent outlet pass but doesn't seem to be able to read the play well enough to use it all the time. Could be up there with Schmidt and Edler as a #2 but have to place him as a #3 or on this team our #4.  IMO lacks consistence

Rank the Dmen give your reasons, please keep your opinions of the trade out of your post  there is already a thread for that.

Edited by Arrow 1983
  • Like 2
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 2

I think Edler is probably a hair better than Schmidt in every category right now, but that could change as fast as this upcoming year, with Edler starting to get older at 34 years of age in comparison to Schmidt, who's five years younger. Obviously Myers is #4 even though he makes a lot of mistakes. Hughes is still #1 as well obviously.

• Like 1
  • Wat 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I think Edler is probably a hair better than Schmidt in every category right now, but that could change as fast as this upcoming year, with Edler starting to get older at 34 years of age in comparison to Schmidt, who's five years younger. Obviously Myers is #4 even though he makes a lot of mistakes. Hughes is still #1 as well obviously.

They are even , except for two important category's IMO. Skating , and breakout passes. That's a big difference.  No way Edler is better than schmidt.  Schmidt also has better passing instinct. Edler fumbles more often on breakout passes and isnt as accurate with them. I'll actually give the physicality to Edler as well. Overall,  age , skating , passing , schmidt is ahead IMO.

Edited by cuporbust
  • Huggy Bear 2

16 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

This is my ranking of our top 4 Dmen

Hughes is a clear #1 Dman

Schmidt is a clear #2 Dman. Puck moving Dman who plays well in his own end. Doesn't produce like a #1  

Edler was a Clear #2 and now our #3 Dman this is a great trade for Edler relieves a lot of pressure off of him. I rank him as our #3 due to his age and because Schmidt has a better outlet pass could call Edler a 2b Schmidt is a little more physical as well.

Then there is Myers shows glimpses of being a solid #2 but most of the time looks like a #3 or #4 dman he is our currently most over paid Dman.  He has the Capability of playing physical when he wants to and has a decent outlet pass but doesn't seem to be able to read the play well enough to use it all the time. Could be up there with Schmidt and Edler as a #2 but have to place him as a #3 or on this team our #4.  IMO lacks consistence

Rank the Dmen give your reasons, please keep your opinions of the trade out of your post  there is already a thread for that.

Schmidt's a better skater and passer.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

They are even , except for two important category's IMO. Skating , and breakout passes. That's a big difference.  No way Edler is better than schmidt.  Schmidt also has better passing instinct. Edler fumbles more often on breakout passes and isnt as accurate with them. I'll actually give the physicality to Edler as well. Overall,  age , skating , passing , schmidt is ahead IMO.

Edler brings a lot more physicality and shot blocking.  I like both guys, but Edler is a little bit ahead for me still thanks to his outstanding playoff performance.  Playoff Edler is a much better player than regular season Edler.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Edler brings a lot more physicality and shot blocking.  I like both guys, but Edler is a little bit ahead for me still thanks to his outstanding playoff performance.  Playoff Edler is a much better player than regular season Edler.

Edler is fine. He is not better then schmidt though. No chance. Passing and skating these days are massive . Not many would be putting Edler ahead of Schmidt on a wish list at this point in their careers . And I'm talking about single game value , not long term.

Before the trade, and if I hadn't read Schmidt's stats, I would have said Edler as #2.

I always thought Schmidt was a bit quiet and was disappointed in myself for not recognizing what a good player he was until I checked his underlying numbers after having a hard time wrapping my head around a Sid.is me post.

Anyways.

Schmidt is #2

Edler #3

Myers is overpaid af

Joulevi will be #4 before the end of next season and Myers will still be overpaid.

Edited by luckylager
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

Just now, cuporbust said:

Edler is fine. He is not better then schmidt though. No chance. Passing and skating these days are massive . Not many would be putting Edler ahead of Schmidt on a wish list at this point in their careers . And I'm talking about single game value , not long term.

I value defensive ability more than average though, so my rankings will always skew in favour of the more reliable guy in his own end.  I have them about the same, both solid in both ends of the ice, but who both bring different things to the table.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I value defensive ability more than average though, so my rankings will always skew in favour of the more reliable guy in his own end.  I have them about the same, both solid in both ends of the ice, but who both bring different things to the table.

Edler makes substantial gaffs in his own end. I'm not buying he is more reliable there. Blocks more shots though , sure.

14 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I think you are stuck in the past 

I am asking about current day at current age Edler is not the same guy he was be for. Truth be told Edler and Myers are kind of the same little bit inconsistent it is why Edler really never got to his full potential. Good thing for Edler is when wasn't consistent he was still a pretty good #2 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arrow 1983 said:

I think you are stuck in the past 

I am asking about current day at current age Edler is not the same guy he was be for. Truth be told Edler and Myers are kind of the same little bit inconsistent it is why Edler really never got to his full potential. Good thing for Edler is when wasn't consistent he was still a pretty good #2 

Edler had a higher points-per-game last year than Schmidt, played more minutes, more defensive deployment, and had way more blocked shots. The majority of statistics point to Edler as the better defender last season.

I expect that next year or the following, Schmidt will be better, as I think the difference is minute, even though Edler bests him in almost all categories.

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Hughes > Schmidt > Edler > Myers.

I don't see that changing for a while.

I hope this trade drives Edler 

Edler is in a contract year and still can get 1 more I cant see him wanting to lose minutes to Schmidt. Edler already lost the 1st unit PP to Hughes he does not want to lose 2 unit to Schmidt and Myers

Just now, -AJ- said:

Edler had a higher points-per-game last year than Schmidt, played more minutes, more defensive deployment, and had way more blocked shots. The majority of statistics point to Edler as the better defender last season.

yes but if Schmidt was on the team last year would Edler have lost minutes to him

• Cheers 1