The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Content to Stop Acquiring?

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

Oct 14th, & a lot sure has been happening. Yesterday picked up Nate Schmidt. Holtby, Motte, MacEwen & others signed. Let's guess we get AG & JV inked for about 4.5.

Then assume MF winds up on LTIR. Fine in his day-to-day, but dizzy on-ice. Give the lad a gig as skills coach, down the line. Brave dude, that deserves respect. Take care of the guy, but advise him to hang'em up.(similar to stance with Manny M)

Let's also assume one more sideways deal to dump a bit more cap(like Baer + a prospect) for a middlish pick.

Q1- Would you be okay entering this season with the roster looking this way?

- Personally I'd be fine. With the COVID circumstance, absolutely surprised we could land 2 gems of such quality.

- Quite eager to see promoted(developed & drafted) youth(fwds & D), & how they'd fare with our mostly younger cast.

- Would also like to see a smooth insertion with Big Nik, requiring the aforementioned, last cap-saving move. If possible, deal him into the shuffle ASAP

- Hope LouiE is demoted to AHL if that gets underway. Fine if they buy him out next off-season.

Lastly on buyouts, I'm glad to see JB has left this as a last, undesired resort. It drags into following yrs, also showing future(potential) signings the org grabs/drops assets without much reflection. Guess all would agree LE was given many an opp to turn his ship around.

Q2- What's the biggest missing ingred to date? Pursue it now, or take our time, waiting for the perfect offer(ala Schmidt deal)?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Oct 14th, & a lot sure has been happening. Yesterday picked up Nate Schmidt. Holtby, Motte, MacEwen & others signed. Let's guess we get AG & JV inked for about 4.5.

Then assume MF winds up on LTIR. Fine in his day-to-day, but dizzy on-ice. Give the lad a gig as skills coach, down the line. Brave dude, that deserves respect. Take care of the guy, but advise him to hang'em up.(similar to stance with Manny M)

Let's also assume one more sideways deal to dump a bit more cap(like Baer + a prospect) for a middlish pick.

- Personally I'd be fine. With the COVID circumstance, absolutely surprised we could land 2 gems of such quality.

- Quite eager to see promoted(developed & drafted) youth(fwds & D), & how they'd fare with our mostly younger cast.

- Would also like to see a smooth insertion with Big Nik, requiring the aforementioned, last cap-saving move. If possible, deal him into the shuffle ASAP

- Hope LouiE is demoted to AHL if that gets underway. Fine if they buy him out next off-season.

Lastly on buyouts, I'm glad to see JB has left this as a last, undesired resort. It drags into following yrs, also showing future(potential) signings the org grabs/drops assets without much reflection. Guess all would agree LE was given many an opp to turn his ship around.

Q2- What's the biggest missing ingred to date? Pursue it now, or take our time, waiting for the perfect offer(ala Schmidt deal)?

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/nyet-yet-canucks-nikita-tryamkin-is-staying-in-russia

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

Thanks for that article. We don't know the amount of overlap, between KHL finishing, as the NHL is(perhaps 2 or 3 mos?) underway. Just hope the NHL adjusts accordingly, so players from over there can still join in-season. If that were the case, by that juncture we'll prob have skaters(at least 1 or 2) on LTIR. We'd prob be able to squeeze in a 2 or 3 mill contract, with about 50% of season to go.

Edited by Nuxfanabroad

If Jake and AG get 4.5 then JB should be fired, and I think he has had one of his best offseasons to date.

AG has no arbitration rights, in this flat cap climate he shouldn't get over $1-1.2M.  Could easily argue less.

Jake is not a $3-3.5M player even if that is what he wants.  At $3.5 that should be a walk away deal.

That is Ferland money and he has accomplished a lot more as a player and was a UFA.

As much as I do not think JB has done a good job on UFA contracts, for the most part, he has mostly done a good job with RFA signings (Sutter being a big exception-keep it in your pants oldnews I know you love him).  

I would be looking to add one more veteran D man.  Having OJ, Rafferty and Chatfield as 6/7/8 is just too young for the mostly risk adverse GM that Benning is.

I think we have to wait and see if there is a season and if there is and Ferland goes onto IR then look to add another winger through trade, UFA scraps or if one of the young guys takes the spot we are set.

With the late start to the season, a couple Russian additions could easily come fairly early in the season as well.

• Thanks 1

I think it’s OJs turn to be the rookie this year. If you believe that he will step up and be an asset to the team it’s fairly easy to be content with this team on paper.

Of course there’s a piece or 3 to be added and until they’re a perennial cup contender that will be the case. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

What stance?  Manny played two more seasons with the Canucks after his injury and when the Canucks didn't resign him, he played another two in Carolina and Montreal.  Sure, they gave him a job after he retired, but he played out his contract plus two more after that.

3 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I'm kind of willing to accept this upcoming year as a step back and another decent draft pick for the future.  Questionable contracts of the past reared their heads and it's time to pay the piper.

I don't know that we will take a step back.  We haven't really changed our forward group at all, but should see some progression from our young guys.  Keep in mind that Boeser and Toffoli were only in the lineup together for a few games. 

I like our D better already with Schmidt and Juolevi vs Tanev and Stecher.  Schmidt is a legit top pair D and moves the puck well, we've needed a guy like him for some time.  I'm admittedly high on Joulevi, I feel he will be fantastic in a bottom pair role with big upside.  

We may take a bit of a hit in goal.  Still not sure about Demko.  He was great in the playoffs, but how does that translate to 35-55 games as a #1.  He was not good when Markstrom was hurt last year.  

I still think there are a couple of moves to be made.  Waiving Baerschi and LE give us enough space to lock in JV and AG.  There are still a number of good UFA wingers who are not going to get a seat at anyone's table if they aren't will to take a 1 year low$ deal, we will get one of them for sure.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Thanks for that article. We don't know the amount of overlap, between KHL finishing, as the NHL is(perhaps 2 or 3 mos?) underway. Just hope the NHL adjusts accordingly, so players from over there can still join in-season. If that were the case, by that juncture we'll prob have skaters(at least 1 or 2) on LTIR. We'd prob be able to squeeze in a 2 or 3 mill contract, with about 50% of season to go.

Tryamkin is on the team's reserve list so he can join anytime

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, x00x said:

From TSN/SN ...theres rumors that JB is interested in one of these Brendan Gallagher or Hoffman ....so if its true, brendan would be a great fit , and would be ok since we lost TT

BG creates more cap issues next year. He could be used at the TDL for good asset returns

38 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I don't know that we will take a step back.  We haven't really changed our forward group at all, but should see some progression from our young guys.  Keep in mind that Boeser and Toffoli were only in the lineup together for a few games. 

I like our D better already with Schmidt and Juolevi vs Tanev and Stecher.  Schmidt is a legit top pair D and moves the puck well, we've needed a guy like him for some time.  I'm admittedly high on Joulevi, I feel he will be fantastic in a bottom pair role with big upside.  

We may take a bit of a hit in goal.  Still not sure about Demko.  He was great in the playoffs, but how does that translate to 35-55 games as a #1.  He was not good when Markstrom was hurt last year.  

I still think there are a couple of moves to be made.  Waiving Baerschi and LE give us enough space to lock in JV and AG.  There are still a number of good UFA wingers who are not going to get a seat at anyone's table if they aren't will to take a 1 year low$ deal, we will get one of them for sure.

Even if the team keeps the status quo other teams have all improved, some of the forward group are well past their prime and are at the point where they their game drops off quickly.

Until Juloevi plays it is a wait and see but he couldn't crack the extra line with the other players so hopes should not be high or plans that count on him making the team.

In goal will be criticized this year because of all the condensed schedule. There is not enough quality depth on this team to be playing a playoff type schedule for months. Again, at this time, one injury to a top 5 dman can't be replaced unless they bring Tryamkin and their big drafted Fin over to play, they maybe the only NHL quality 4 & 7 depth they have.

They waived Baerstchi 3 times last year and Eriksson has been out there, although I don't think Benning has asked him for his approved list. Maybe by the TDL he might be able to move him to a team wanting to make the cap minimum.

It has been very evident since wayy back in December that this team was cost cutting, just too much money wasted for fringe players, it got so bad they hired Chris Gear to run the finances. So no buying their way out, no one way contracts, no clause contracts, no burying contracts in the AHL and no money nailed to the press box.

Pretty simple now, they got the cap limit and that is it.

I maybe think that another RH D would not be a bad idea. I expect a waffle year anyways, so lets not get too stupid. If he can Manage the Bearcheese and the LE situation, awsome. If not, well lets bring up some Rooks and see what we got when the Injury bug hits us.

• Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Okay, yes. Sooner rather than later, the price to correct contract mistakes has to be paid. It isn't a winning roster, last years was barely.

Take their time, create cap space and at the expansion draft there will be many more Schmidt deals. Just don't get more players that need protecting BTW Tryamkin won't require protection

Edited by Lazurus
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Lazurus said:

Even if the team keeps the status quo other teams have all improved, some of the forward group are well past their prime and are at the point where they their game drops off quickly.

Until Juloevi plays it is a wait and see but he couldn't crack the extra line with the other players so hopes should not be high or plans that count on him making the team.

In goal will be criticized this year because of all the condensed schedule. There is not enough quality depth on this team to be playing a playoff type schedule for months. Again, at this time, one injury to a top 5 dman can't be replaced unless they bring Tryamkin and their big drafted Fin over to play, they maybe the only NHL quality 4 & 7 depth they have.

They waived Baerstchi 3 times last year and Eriksson has been out there, although I don't think Benning has asked him for his approved list. Maybe by the TDL he might be able to move him to a team wanting to make the cap minimum.

It has been very evident since wayy back in December that this team was cost cutting, just too much money wasted for fringe players, it got so bad they hired Chris Gear to run the finances. So no buying their way out, no one way contracts, no clause contracts, no burying contracts in the AHL and no money nailed to the press box.

Pretty simple now, they got the cap limit and that is it.

I'd argue that AZ, ANA, LA, SJ did little to get better, they are all in varying states of rebuilds and won't compete

Vegas is stat quo in my mind.  Losing Schmidt and Statsny to sign AP is a marginal improvement at best.  They will still lose a player for cap reasons and have rookie as their #2 centre.

Calgary is better in goal and a little worse everywhere else

Edmonton addressed some needs and should be better.

AVs and Jets got better in the central, nobody else has done much to improve.  

Schmidt is a far better player than Tanev, on a completely different level.  The gap between those two and Stecher vs his replacement is huge.  Our biggest need was to improve our D and we did that.

I'm not suggesting anyone take SB or LE, by waiving them we save a little over a miilion each, which gives us room for AG and JV.

There are moves to be made, this roster will look different in a few weeks for sure.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I'd argue that AZ, ANA, LA, SJ did little to get better, they are all in varying states of rebuilds and won't compete

Vegas is stat quo in my mind.  Losing Schmidt and Statsny to sign AP is a marginal improvement at best.  They will still lose a player for cap reasons and have rookie as their #2 centre.

Calgary is better in goal and a little worse everywhere else

Edmonton addressed some needs and should be better.

AVs and Jets got better in the central, nobody else has done much to improve.  

Schmidt is a far better player than Tanev, on a completely different level.  The gap between those two and Stecher vs his replacement is huge.  Our biggest need was to improve our D and we did that.

I'm not suggesting anyone take SB or LE, by waiving them we save a little over a miilion each, which gives us room for AG and JV.

There are moves to be made, this roster will look different in a few weeks for sure.

I think thats a good assessment. I'd love to see a trade for someone like Cernak, but if thats not possible then I'm OK with standing pat and leaving Benn/Raffety to work out who the better #3 right side d. I do like Juolevi being with Benn to begin the year for some training wheels and shifting to Rafferty if he can show he's good enough defensively to stay up. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

I think thats a good assessment. I'd love to see a trade for someone like Cernak, but if thats not possible then I'm OK with standing pat and leaving Benn/Raffety to work out who the better #3 right side d. I do like Juolevi being with Benn to begin the year for some training wheels and shifting to Rafferty if he can show he's good enough defensively to stay up. 

I think we a solid competition for our last couple D spots, Rafferty, Joulevi, and maybe even Rathbone will have opportunities. 

Hoglander, Lind and Bailey will also have a shot at making the team out of camp.

This is a year that we will work at least 3-4 prospects into our lineup throughout the year.  Huge reward if any of them can step up and perform.  They don't want to be the idiots that break our Calder nomination streak!

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I think we a solid competition for our last couple D spots, Rafferty, Joulevi, and maybe even Rathbone will have opportunities. 

Hoglander, Lind and Bailey will also have a shot at making the team out of camp.

This is a year that we will work at least 3-4 prospects into our lineup throughout the year.  Huge reward if any of them can step up and perform.  They don't want to be the idiots that break our Calder nomination streak!

re: competition, maybe its worth 700k to sign Micheal Stone for some right side depth, he might be pretty motivated and has decent size as well.