The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Content to Stop Acquiring?

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

7 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Don't be surprised if we take a step back in the standings this year and even potentially miss the playoffs.

Need to get out of these bad contracts first before we become a true contender. 1 more year of mediocrity might be the last bit of growing pain we're going to have to endure.

Indeed, & media/hecklers would be laughing hyenas, but who cares, right? One more nice, higher selection might be an asset we all one day really appreciate.

I mostly saw the PO's(after ousting Mild) as gambling with house-dough. If this next season gets off the ground, will see it the same way, I guess?(mostly just enjoy, with minimal expectations)

The only thing I would like to see is the movement of our bad contacts.  But that is difficult to do this year especially. 

I want LE off the team whatever that takes .  

Other than that lets go with what we got and get some of our young players playing time to develope while we are waiting for Sutter, beagle and rouseell to play out there terms. 

In three years I believe we will have a complete team and ready to challenge. 

Side note: I wonder if Alex Edler will retire after this year or keep playing in a lesser role for less money? What do you think ? 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

Side note: I wonder if Alex Edler will retire after this year or keep playing in a lesser role for less money? What do you think ? 

Would guess that'd depend how quickly the younger Lhd's get up to speed. Could see AE takin' small deals/depth role to stay with the team for a number of yrs..that'd be pretty cool.

Guy could transition to a 60, 70 annual gp player-coach type of contributor. What an asset if injuries hit.

• Cheers 1

Q2, the big signing...  Hence Schmidt was the desperate move because Benning couldn't get the big one. 

The difference between Schmidt and Tanev/Stecher is abysmal.

If Schmidt is better than Tanev defending Hughes while contributing to offence i Will take back my words. But if he ain't...

10 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Q2, the big signing...  Hence Schmidt was the desperate move because Benning couldn't get the big one. 

If Schmidt is better than Tanev defending Hughes while contributing to offence i Will take back my words. But if he ain't...

Cheer up Timra..we're on our way to The Promised Land!

4 hours ago, rychicken said:

Stecher gone = me happy

I agree , if your not playing like QH in the playoffs, and your that small, you need to be able to clear the front of the net. He had some good games, but overall, he was manhandled by the bigger bodied teams like Vegas. 

Loved that he was local and he gave his all, but you need more then that to win a championship, sorry Stech. 

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

Just look back at those players in the playoffs and you will see we have made a huge upgrade on defense. The only D we had that could manage a lot of the bigger guys in the playoffs was Edler and Meyers. Otherwise we got hemmed in our zone and we were lucky we had Demko and Markstrom most nights. Having Meyers out with injury was down right scary, defensively.

I'd sign Lievo, Virtanen, Gaudette, move some cap out, and call it a day. We'd enter the season with Edler, Schmidt, Myers, Hughes, Benn, Juolevi, Rafferty, and probably one of Chatfield/Sautner/Rathbone as our dcore. 

I won't be surprised if we take a step back next season, but I figure we won't be the only team out west doing that given cap restrictions. 

11 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Just look back at those players in the playoffs and you will see we have made a huge upgrade on defense. The only D we had that could manage a lot of the bigger guys in the playoffs was Edler and Meyers. Otherwise we got hemmed in our zone and we were lucky we had Demko and Markstrom most nights. Having Meyers out with injury was down right scary, defensively.

Fantenberg showed up also... But Myers is to slow. 

10 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

If Jake and AG get 4.5 then JB should be fired, and I think he has had one of his best offseasons to date.

AG has no arbitration rights, in this flat cap climate he shouldn't get over $1-1.2M.  Could easily argue less.

Jake is not a $3-3.5M player even if that is what he wants.  At $3.5 that should be a walk away deal.

Jake will be going to arbitration and JB cannot walk away from that unless it is higher than $4.5m awarded (which won't happen) so JB has virtually no impact on what JV will be signed for next season.

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Oct 14th, & a lot sure has been happening. Yesterday picked up Nate Schmidt. Holtby, Motte, MacEwen & others signed. Let's guess we get AG & JV inked for about 4.5.

Then assume MF winds up on LTIR. Fine in his day-to-day, but dizzy on-ice

All reports point to Ferland not being on LTIR to start the season. He is reportedly healthy and ready to play.

If we do sign JV and AG for $4.5m total, once we waive Loui and Baer to get down to 22 player roster we will still be at least $1m over the cap limit

I can't see us being able to move out a contract such as Loui, Baer, Roussel, Sutter, etc. So it will probably come down to a choice between buying out Sutter, or losing Gaudette for nothing.

• Vintage 1

I think the main changes have already been made to this roster.  Flat cap and Covid concerns are going to made moving out dead capspace virtually impossible.  There are so many teams looking to moves bad contracts, there are just no takers.  They may be able to pick up 1 or 2 value signings but nothing major.  They could roll the dice on a player like Madison Bowey.  They could sign him for $700k and see whether he could rediscover the form that made him sought after as a Kelowna Rocket.  Has played for WSH and DET which in fairness are not the best teams to learn to be an NHL Dman.

5 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

Edler feels like a guy who would rather play for Vancouver at league minimum or retire rather than go somewhere else to get a payday.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I'd sign Lievo, Virtanen, Gaudette, move some cap out, and call it a day. We'd enter the season with Edler, Schmidt, Myers, Hughes, Benn, Juolevi, Rafferty, and probably one of Chatfield/Sautner/Rathbone as our dcore. 

I won't be surprised if we take a step back next season, but I figure we won't be the only team out west doing that given cap restrictions. 

How do we move cap out ? 

6 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

1 more year of mediocrity might be the last bit of growing pain we're going to have to endure.

Having Petey and Hughes lead the charge now, we won't be experiencing mediocrity for a long time. They got a taste of success and we may not be as good this coming year but we won't be terrible. I think we will be in a dogfight for a playoff spot along with everyone else. Outside of Vegas and Colorado, I think the West is wide open as there is so much parody in the NHL these days and if there is an all Canadian division, then everyone outside of Ottawa should be knocking on the playoff door.