The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Content to Stop Acquiring?

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

2 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

I can't see us being able to move out a contract such as Loui, Baer, Roussel, Sutter, etc. So it will probably come down to a choice between buying out Sutter, or losing Gaudette for nothing.

I think we could move Sutter, even say %50 retained to a team like Buffalo, desperate to make the playoffs. We may have to throw in a pick as well but as long as it ain't a 1st or 2nd, I'd do it. Currently, they have loads of cap space.

17 hours ago, BCNate said:

I'd argue that AZ, ANA, LA, SJ did little to get better, they are all in varying states of rebuilds and won't compete

Vegas is stat quo in my mind.  Losing Schmidt and Statsny to sign AP is a marginal improvement at best.  They will still lose a player for cap reasons and have rookie as their #2 centre.

Calgary is better in goal and a little worse everywhere else

Edmonton addressed some needs and should be better.

AVs and Jets got better in the central, nobody else has done much to improve.  

Schmidt is a far better player than Tanev, on a completely different level.  The gap between those two and Stecher vs his replacement is huge.  Our biggest need was to improve our D and we did that.

I'm not suggesting anyone take SB or LE, by waiving them we save a little over a miilion each, which gives us room for AG and JV.

There are moves to be made, this roster will look different in a few weeks for sure.

Oh didn't you hear there is going to be a Canadian division?

Van

Edm

Cal

Peg

TO

Ott

Mon

10 hours ago, KirkSave said:

I think we could move Sutter, even say %50 retained to a team like Buffalo, desperate to make the playoffs. We may have to throw in a pick as well but as long as it ain't a 1st or 2nd, I'd do it. Currently, they have loads of cap space.

High cost for a mistake

On 10/14/2020 at 7:45 AM, 10pavelbure96 said:

Lol is his agent on CDC?

The shade at the Eriksson Sutter Roussel and  Beagle contracts made me chuckle.

Edit: never mind I just noticed that part wasnt in quotations

Yeah - an agent wouldn't utter moronic stuff like that - those words are out of the mouth of Patrick Johnston - who fits in well at the Province.

The reality - either the Luongo recrap or Covid stall would be enough to sign Tryamkin.

Lumping a player like Beagle in with Eriksson is sheer van-media hollow-head echo chamber material.

Not content to  'stop acquiring'.

The team needs to make three more signings.

1) Leivo

2) Fantenburg

3) A 1 million defensive RHD - this latter could be served by Benn, but he had enough puck moving challenges on his strong side this year.  I think he could/might be upgraded upon in the bargain, deflated market.

I would have liked a Richardson signing as well (serious bargain at 1.25) - but you can't have everything.

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Yeah - an agent wouldn't utter moronic stuff like that - those words are out of the mouth of Patrick Johnston - who fits in well at the Province.

The reality - either the Luongo recrap or Covid stall would be enough to sign Tryamkin.

Lumping a player like Beagle in with Eriksson is sheer van-media hollow-head echo chamber material.

I agree.

So many don't see beagles value.

Its debatable that hes overpaid for sure. But I'm glad hes on the team 

• Cheers 3

16 hours ago, KirkSave said:

Having Petey and Hughes lead the charge now, we won't be experiencing mediocrity for a long time. They got a taste of success and we may not be as good this coming year but we won't be terrible. I think we will be in a dogfight for a playoff spot along with everyone else. Outside of Vegas and Colorado, I think the West is wide open as there is so much parody in the NHL these days and if there is an all Canadian division, then everyone outside of Ottawa should be knocking on the playoff door.

I agree there is a lot to parody in the NHL

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I agree.

So many don't see beagles value.

Its debatable that hes overpaid for sure. But I'm glad hes on the team 

Beagle is a massive part of the team, and those that don’t see it only look at points and cap hits and don’t actually understand the role he plays. 

I know people joke about the ‘foundational’ players but he is exactly the type of vet you want and need on a team. 

• Vintage 1

Not currently, and I doubt we're done. This team needs AT LEAST one RHD badly. Preferably 2. Schmidt can play both, yes, but he prefers and is better on the left side. Benn can play both, yes, but again he is better on the left side. We don't want players playing under their value.

I agree that Rafferty is ready for the NHL and needs a shot. I think he should come up and slide in with Schmidt. They have potential to be a great puck moving pair while being responsible in their own zone as well. Juolevi needs a shot, too, and I think he will get it since injuries are inevitable. 

That leaves Edler with Myers. As a third pairing, you can't complain at all. This will protect Edler too. We need to save his legs so he doesn't get worn out. They might be slow, but Edler is as smart defensively as they come.

But all this leaves Hughes without a partner. Him and Myers are not a good fit, having rookie Rafferty with him could be a nightmare. We need another Tanev. Now, finding someone as good as him probably can't happen, but there are responsible defensemen out there that can be had for 3 mill or less. That in turn requires some cap moving. We fill that need, I'm happy. The forward group can be adjusted as the year goes on. This fanbase might not be happy with Jake in the top 6, but he's still improving and a move to the top 6 could be the next step. We assess that as the year goes on and make moves if possible, IMO.

Edited by luongianone
Accidentally posted without finishing lmao.

On 10/14/2020 at 5:20 PM, BigTramFan said:

Jake will be going to arbitration and JB cannot walk away from that unless it is higher than $4.5m awarded (which won't happen) so JB has virtually no impact on what JV will be signed for next season.

I would be willing to bet that Jake is signed before arbitration, and of course JB will have a significant impact on that contract

12 hours ago, UKNuck96 said:

I agree there is a lot to parody in the NHL

This post is filled with parody.  At least there is some parity in the NHL.  It means that one or two hot lengthy streaks while playing .500 hockey the rest of the time should help us make our case to be in the playoffs.  Hard to pick how things will pan out during this upcoming season, as for me I feel a lot more comfortable as compared to seasons past. 

• Vintage 1

Without reading any responses - the simple answer is yes please - except for either a Benn extension or one more 3rd pairing D on a decent two year contract that meets the league minimum for the ED draft.    Other then that we don’t need anyone else and we shouldn’t be dipping into cap space we definitely need next year.   

At this point his main priority should be re-signing QHs and EP.    Early yes - once that’s done THEN he could start making other moves which could possibly include a UFA if there is still someone worthwhile or a great deal always helps too.   Chara is interesting... would round out our bottom pairing, add leadership and of course deterrence. 1.5-2 wouldn’t hurt the team and wow that side would have a nice amount of nasty and size.   The only thing left to do is adding one more D either by extending a contract to Benn or signing a Stecher replacement.   Needs to be careful about this or it could come back at him with terrible optics given what Stetcher signed for in Detroit. 

Edit:  Roussel and Beagle are on the team to expose at the ED.    IF we do manage a trade and one of these guys are involved,  we’d need a forward back that can fill one of the two spots with enough games and signed for at least a year past this one.   Otherwise we risk losing JV  or AG which is definitely not as ideal.  Or Motte might be exposed which no thanks. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

18 hours ago, luongianone said:

Not currently, and I doubt we're done. This team needs AT LEAST one RHD badly. Preferably 2. Schmidt can play both, yes, but he prefers and is better on the left side. Benn can play both, yes, but again he is better on the left side. We don't want players playing under their value.

I agree that Rafferty is ready for the NHL and needs a shot. I think he should come up and slide in with Schmidt. They have potential to be a great puck moving pair while being responsible in their own zone as well. Juolevi needs a shot, too, and I think he will get it since injuries are inevitable. 

That leaves Edler with Myers. As a third pairing, you can't complain at all. This will protect Edler too. We need to save his legs so he doesn't get worn out. They might be slow, but Edler is as smart defensively as they come.

But all this leaves Hughes without a partner. Him and Myers are not a good fit, having rookie Rafferty with him could be a nightmare. We need another Tanev. Now, finding someone as good as him probably can't happen, but there are responsible defensemen out there that can be had for 3 mill or less. That in turn requires some cap moving. We fill that need, I'm happy. The forward group can be adjusted as the year goes on. This fanbase might not be happy with Jake in the top 6, but he's still improving and a move to the top 6 could be the next step. We assess that as the year goes on and make moves if possible, IMO.

Schmidt doesn’t prefer the L side - he’s happy to play the right and had for Vegas the past three seasons.   Maybe he will slide back if we don’t re-sign Edler but for now he’s just fine on the R side and should go there.   Because OJ is going to play for sure and likely stick on the L side.    This leaves Benn playing on the R side which is also fine, his game is the same either way.   And he can push Rafferty.   Rathbone and Rafferty would be our fringe guys who might also get a look depending on injuries.   With the ED looming it’s a perfect time to try these guys out - aside from Schmidt there is no absolutes on who else he should protect - Myers most likely,  but if we add a D or two then we won’t know if that’s the right play - Rafferty’s game might translate in then we could lose a cheap 30-40 point guy worst case.   He does need one more option as well to dangle otherwise Myers has to be exposed (well him or Schmidt technically one would as of right now) which to me is a giraffe size step backwards - these guys are very hard to get and we sure need him at this point.   Woo should get his chance the following year, which is better timing to make major roster changes anyways. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

1 more depth defenceman, resign our players and we're good to go.

Leivo, Virtanen and Gaudette could easily replace Toffoli's lost production.

Schmidt is an improvement on an ageing Tanev.

Sign Fantenberg, Vatanen/other UFA and Juolevi/other rookies coming in is equal if not an upgrade on Stecher.

Holtby is a step back but Demko will be a year better so goaltending may be quite similar. 

Most importantly, our young core is a year older, wiser and better, so we may well be better than last season.

JB just needs to tie up the loose ends which won't be easy. Leivo, Virtanen, Gaudette and a 6th defenceman for 7-8M will be tricky.

Even if Virtanen gets 3M, give Leivo and Gaudette matching 1.75M contracts, leaving us around 1-2M for Fantenberg. Vatanen would be nice but will ask for at least 3M.

Don’t take on any contracts past next season. The landscape is changing and we need to be sure we have enough cap so we don’t have to watch high quality players leave for nothing.....again. And again an so on. 
Go with what we got get through it and expansion then we will know what this team should look like for the foreseeable future.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Q1. This roster is slightly downgraded from our last year's team, i'm fine entering the season with it, but not expecting us to be more than a middle-tier team.

Q2. Dead Cap, bad contracts in the bottom six is our biggest issue. At the moment looks like time is all we have to mitigate it, unless Benning can get a deal going. Thank goodness we didn't do OEL's trade.

• Vintage 1