The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Content to Stop Acquiring?

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

11 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Man, is this true. & some thought it was a good idea at the time!

I don’t think the OEL trade would have been to bad if was LE + pick + prospect - with the cap differences it would only have been a couple of mill, which would be fine and manageable. 

would we have for NS then if we did this - maybe, maybe not but it would still have been possible to fit both in the cap.

19 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

1 more depth defenceman, resign our players and we're good to go.

Leivo, Virtanen and Gaudette could easily replace Toffoli's lost production.

Schmidt is an improvement on an ageing Tanev.

Sign Fantenberg, Vatanen/other UFA and Juolevi/other rookies coming in is equal if not an upgrade on Stecher.

Holtby is a step back but Demko will be a year better so goaltending may be quite similar. 

Most importantly, our young core is a year older, wiser and better, so we may well be better than last season.

JB just needs to tie up the loose ends which won't be easy. Leivo, Virtanen, Gaudette and a 6th defenceman for 7-8M will be tricky.

Even if Virtanen gets 3M, give Leivo and Gaudette matching 1.75M contracts, leaving us around 1-2M for Fantenberg. Vatanen would be nice but will ask for at least 3M.

We dont have room Fantenberg or Vatanen I say go with the Kids, Rafferty is NHL ready and the same with Juolevi ,Brisebois and Chatfield are ready also, no more fillers time to get the Kids going. If Green wont play them then get another coach.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

I'm OK with the roster as it is now constructed unless we can unload some contracts without giving up alot.

Let some rookies earn a spot on the roster.  If it doesn't pan out, bring up players we buried in the minors or go find a UFA wanting to play at league min.

It's a Flat Cap world.  We just need to ride out 2 more years to get rid of the bad contracts. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

Great article in "Pass it to Bulis" on why we need a 3rd PMD after Hughes and Schmidt.  Rafferty and Juolevi fit the bill?

See:

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/how-nate-schmidt-narrows-the-gap-between-the-canucks-and-the-nhls-cup-contenders-2799839

You're right, this article is spot-on. Thanks

2 hours ago, Googlie said:

Great article in "Pass it to Bulis" on why we need a 3rd PMD after Hughes and Schmidt.  Rafferty and Juolevi fit the bill?

See:

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/how-nate-schmidt-narrows-the-gap-between-the-canucks-and-the-nhls-cup-contenders-2799839

canucks-vs-lightning-zone-exit-and-entri

Quinn with unbelievable stats there!

On the flip side Edler.......yikes!

Stecher similar to Shattenkirk's.  Could have just matched Detroit's offer and not dissed him like that. Where else is Jimbo going to find what he brings for a #5 or #6 D for that contract?  Makes no sense.   In fact, could have still got Schmidt, and had Stecher and Toftoli for under $6 mill per season for both. And checked those boxes already. Both said management wasn't even talking to them. Just bizarre.

20 hours ago, John_Guest said:

I'm not a fan of TSN as a rule but Craig Button on TSN has convinced me there's potential in Brogan Rafferty and he's "ready to contribute" this year.

I actually think we need to have more faith in our callups. One or 2 of them could prove to be ready, yet no one on this forum seems to want to factor that in and seems to just want to focus on the free agent market.

• Vintage 2

22 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I actually think we need to have more faith in our callups. One or 2 of them could prove to be ready, yet no one on this forum seems to want to factor that in and seems to just want to focus on the free agent market.

I agree !    There has to be an emphasis on getting these prospects in the line-up.  Unfortunately TG's only mission is to win at all cost and we all know by now he has little faith in playing unproven prospects and young guys (except for a few stars).  It's all about using the best players he thinks can WIN to save his job - NOT developing young players.

1 minute ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I agree !    There has to be an emphasis on getting these prospects in the line-up.  Unfortunately TG's only mission is to win at all cost and we all know by now he has little faith in playing unproven prospects and young guys (except for a few stars).  It's all about using the best players he thinks can WIN to save his job - NOT developing young players.

I don't really look at it that way to be honest. I don't think it's so much on Green as it is more having too much competition. Don't get me wrong, competition is good, but too much competition can really hamper a prospect's development. We also had this problem in the AV days. I don't think a coach should be sidelining a player just because another player is a prospect even if the prospect plays worse.

On 10/14/2020 at 3:44 AM, Petey_BOI said:

It kind of strikes me as odd that this would surprise anyone or come as news, if we signed Train then it's just one more asset to put in to the pool when the Kraken come calling.. seems like a good idea to me.

Frankly, with just under $2 million in cap space atm, and with Gaudette and Virtanen still unsigned, the question should be, "who will be the next to go?"

It's no secret that some sort of trade, buyout waiver etc is still to come before the season starts.

regards,  G.

45 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

Frankly, with just under $2 million in cap space atm, and with Gaudette and Virtanen still unsigned, the question should be, "who will be the next to go?"

It's no secret that some sort of trade, buyout waiver etc is still to come before the season starts.

regards,  G.

I'm reading 3.1 Mil in cap for us in 'NHL Numbers"

11 hours ago, Googlie said:

See:

9 hours ago, kilgore said:

canucks-vs-lightning-zone-exit-and-entri

Quinn with unbelievable stats there!

On the flip side Edler.......yikes!

Stecher similar to Shattenkirk's.  Could have just matched Detroit's offer and not dissed him like that. Where else is Jimbo going to find what he brings for a #5 or #6 D for that contract?  Makes no sense.   In fact, could have still got Schmidt, and had Stecher and Toftoli for under $6 mill per season for both. And checked those boxes already. Both said management wasn't even talking to them. Just bizarre.

Canucks vs Stars zone exits and entries

What's even better are the team stats when Schmidt is added.  Two top puck movers playing on separate lines could make the Canucks D way more efficient.

Hughes Myers

Edler Schmidt

Benn / Rathbone / Juolevi

• Vintage 1

On 10/17/2020 at 8:00 PM, iceman64 said:

I'm reading 3.1 Mil in cap for us in 'NHL Numbers"

Could be the case. I was looking at CapFriendly.  :)

regards,  G.

Edited by Gollumpus

2 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

Canucks vs Stars zone exits and entries

What's even better are the team stats when Schmidt is added.  Two top puck movers playing on separate lines could make the Canucks D way more efficient.

Hughes Myers

Edler Schmidt

Benn / Rathbone / Juolevi

Yeah I read that and was going to post it but it's seems a no brainer, if we don't try out the new guys how will we know so I think JB might stand pat and just wait and see, good article though explaining it with comparison's..

I'd do the same I think if I couldn't unload anyone but I bet JB's tempted to let JV go for a pick and give Hoglander a spot to lose, and of course sign AG and then see how it goes.

10 hours ago, The Lock said:

Benning stated last year there would be 6-7 ‘youngsters’ promoted last year and this year. 
Fully expect OJ and either Raferty or Rathbone to be playing meaningful games with Canucks this season. Surely it must be close to swim or sink time...

But I also think, they want to support OJ with a vet, just in case it gets a little sticky. 

Edited by spook007
  • Vintage 1

7 hours ago, Gollumpus said:

Could the case. I was looking at CapFriendly.  :)

regards,  G.

Cap Friendly has it at $2M with 15 forwards, 2 of which are Jake and Gaudette.

We will only keep 13 forwards.  Maximum cap space for Baer/Louie etc to go down is $1M.  

Assuming Baer and Louie or Sutter or anyone making $1M or more go down that puts us at about $4M in cap.