The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Content to Stop Acquiring?

Rate this topic

Nuxfanabroad

On 10/17/2020 at 3:09 AM, vannuck59 said:

We dont have room Fantenberg or Vatanen I say go with the Kids, Rafferty is NHL ready and the same with Juolevi ,Brisebois and Chatfield are ready also, no more fillers time to get the Kids going. If Green wont play them then get another coach.

Fire Green

Play 4 rookie D and he will get fired

19 hours ago, kilgore said:

canucks-vs-lightning-zone-exit-and-entri

Quinn with unbelievable stats there!

On the flip side Edler.......yikes!

Stecher similar to Shattenkirk's.  Could have just matched Detroit's offer and not dissed him like that. Where else is Jimbo going to find what he brings for a #5 or #6 D for that contract?  Makes no sense.   In fact, could have still got Schmidt, and had Stecher and Toftoli for under $6 mill per season for both. And checked those boxes already. Both said management wasn't even talking to them. Just bizarre.

Source please 

"management wasn't even talking to them"

15 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I agree !    There has to be an emphasis on getting these prospects in the line-up.  Unfortunately TG's only mission is to win at all cost and we all know by now he has little faith in playing unproven prospects and young guys (except for a few stars).  It's all about using the best players he thinks can WIN to save his job - NOT developing young players.

I disagree 

This the NHL, TG job is to win at all costs, that is the job of an NHL coach and what i want in our coach.

The AHL is for developing young players

• Cheers 2

On 10/18/2020 at 7:35 AM, AbrasiveAjax said:

I disagree 

This the NHL, TG job is to win at all costs, that is the job of an NHL coach and what i want in our coach.

The AHL is for developing young players

The kids are NHL ready if you dont use your prospects you will loose then to waivers you have to play them to see what you got . Simple you dont have to play all 4 at once but 2 at a time would be good. You dont know until you know what they can do. Either play them or trade them for better D. Dont Fool around 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

What is the point of having a prospect pipeline if we don't use the prospects we have to fill the holes we get because of UFA and the flat cap we've been saddled with, not to mention the Luongo penalty that only we have to suffer.   We have our top 4 d-men, Hughes Myers Edler Schmidt, with Juolevi, Benn, Rafferty and Rathbone to fight it out for the bottom pairing.  Not to mention the fact that we can dip their toes in with a strong top 4, and hopefully one of the lot will prove to have the ceiling high enough to replace Edler.  As for at forward, we have Hoglander, Lind, and Podkholzin coming in next season at various points.  We need room to actually get these players in, and they look like their at least middle to top 6 quality players, on ELC's.   Next season we have Baertschi, Sutter, Edler, and Benn off the books, as well as Roussel, Eriksson, and Beagle on their last year.  Ferland might also be on LTIR for the rest of his contract, so....things aren't as dire as they look.  

We have some legitimate NHL quality players in our prospect pool, not players who'd be a stretch to be on the fourth line, like we've had for so long.  At worst some of these players are middle six forwards, or bottom pairing defensemen.....which means they are NHL players.  At best, players like Hoglander, Podkholzin, Rathbone, and Juolevi, just for instance, are capable of being in the mix for either top six or top 4.  And there are other players who can project to fill in positions lower in the lineup.  That's a great thing, which will allow us to have a constant stream of people to fill in as well as the luxury of being able to trade role players with 'intangibles' to other teams at the TDL and recoup draft picks/prospects that way.  Every year, at TDL, it is a surprising return for 'role' players.  You start being able to churn those responsible players out, as well as hitting on higher tier players with various draft picks, you have a constant stream of lotto tickets (draft picks), as well as a way to cobble together trade packages to fill in areas of concern.  Benning may have his flaws, but the one thing we are seeing is that at least we aren't bereft of talent in the system.  

So, I for one, am content with not acquiring more players, and starting to use the ones we have.  Develop them, hone their strengths, shore up their weaknesses with either training, or playing with the right types of players to fill out a line with synergy, and hopefully get enough together that we can use that system as a strength to not only keep contracts reasonable, as we aren't forced to hold on to players because we don't have replacements, but to form actual hockey trades from areas of strength.

Edited by Solinar
addition
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 3

On 10/22/2020 at 1:27 PM, vannuck59 said:

The kids are NHL ready if you dont use your prospects you will loose then to waivers you have to play them to see what you got . Simple you dont have to play all 4 at once but 2 at a time would be good. You dont know until you know what they can do. Either play them or trade them for better D. Dont Fool around 

Yep.   Especially with the ED and flat cap, if there ever was a time to have another “Willie D” year, now is the one.   One, two or possibly three of OJ, Rathbone and Rafferty could be middle six or even better D’s ...  won’t know if you don’t check them out - same with Lind.   Just look what happened in CLB with William Karlsson.   Some guys actually play better in the NHL then the AHL once given the opportunity to play with better players.   I’d actually be surprised if none work out, too many prospects experts predict good things with these guys including Woo. 

Edited by IBatch

This is the perfect opportunity to take stock of what the team has in its young guys, in preparation for the next wave of likely blue-chip (Rathbone, Hoglander, Podkolzin).

With the top-4 D group buffering Juolevi and Rafferty, they can get their feet wet in the NHL on a bottom pair, part-time role (could just swap them in and out and have them take turns with Jordie).  The team should also figure out what role Jake, Zack and Kole Lind would play once Sutter/ Loui fall out from the bottom-6 and Pods takes a top-6 RW spot.  Let the functional vets (Beagle, Roussel) keep doing their thing and buy time to find their replacements (e.g. a 4th line, strong FO% and defense center and a tough LW, also see what we have in Hawryluk). 

In short, it's time to play the kids and turn AHL all-stars to NHL regular contributors and start the next wave of youth, before the top name kids arrive.  

Edited by Phil_314
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 10/14/2020 at 5:54 AM, John_Guest said:

What if this is the year Juolevi and Virtanen find their games and reach the potential we used to think they had - top 4 and top 6. If that we're to happen we'd be at the point we'd want to be in development, I think.

I mean if we got a pick in 10 range in a reduced 60 game schedule. That's not that painful. This has the makings of a very solid draft as well and we would most likely be in range for Dylan Guenther, Simon Edvinsson, Jesper Wallstedt to add to our great young core. Not to mention, we could gain more picks selling off players like Pearson, Sutter & maybe Eddy if he waived. JB would most likely be aggressive next summer after taking a slow/patient approach to this offseason. 

I actually think we made good decision this year, despite the painful step back

1. We may have weakened our goaltending, but we did 2 things...A) Opened up a spot for Demko to go, and reduced our Goaltending Cap

I am also not convinced Markstrom can maintain his play

2. We replaced Tanev,,,,again painful, but we upgraded, so take the win, we could not keep all

3. We are close to Cap compliant, and it is obtainable without any major moves

So, yes we lost important assets, but gained in other ways

Personally I wonder if moving Sutter and clearing that cap, would not be a good idea, so we have the ability ot make a move closer to the deadline if opportunity arises.

I guess it totally depends on how JB sees it............but something around

Virtanen and Rafferty for Johnson and Cernak

It does not completely cure Tampa's problems, but it goes along way to

Then you have the makings of a solid defense, that may be around for 8 to 10 years, as you then can expose Myers, without fear of weakening your defense

Its either Holtby or Myers at the ED

• Vintage 1

A thing I don't like is this is a year one would really like an active farm team so we could hope for some helpful surprises. I was kind of hopeful Jonah Gajovich would jump a level.  If we lose Holtby in the expansion draft DiPietro needs to be ready. He needs work to be ready.

On 10/24/2020 at 6:17 PM, Solinar said:

What is the point of having a prospect pipeline if we don't use the prospects we have to fill the holes we get because of UFA and the flat cap we've been saddled with, not to mention the Luongo penalty that only we have to suffer.   We have our top 4 d-men, Hughes Myers Edler Schmidt, with Juolevi, Benn, Rafferty and Rathbone to fight it out for the bottom pairing.  Not to mention the fact that we can dip their toes in with a strong top 4, and hopefully one of the lot will prove to have the ceiling high enough to replace Edler.  ! - As for at forward, we have Hoglander, Lind, and Podkholzin coming in next season at various points.  We need room to actually get these players in, and they look like their at least middle to top 6 quality players, on ELC's  Next season we have Baertschi, Sutter, Edler, and Benn off the books, as well as Roussel, Eriksson, and Beagle on their last year.  Ferland might also be on LTIR for the rest of his contract, so....things aren't as dire as they look.  

We have some legitimate NHL quality players in our prospect pool, not players who'd be a stretch to be on the fourth line, like we've had for so long.  2 - At worst some of these players are middle six forwards, or bottom pairing defensemen.....which means they are NHL playersAt best, players like Hoglander, Podkholzin, Rathbone, and Juolevi, just for instance, are capable of being in the mix for either top six or top 4.  And there are other players who can project to fill in positions lower in the lineup.  That's a great thing, which will allow us to have a constant stream of people to fill in as well as the luxury of being able to trade role players with 'intangibles' to other teams at the TDL and recoup draft picks/prospects that way.  3- Every year, at TDL, it is a surprising return for 'role' players.  You start being able to churn those responsible players out, as well as hitting on higher tier players with various draft picks, you have a constant stream of lotto tickets (draft picks), as well as a way to cobble together trade packages to fill in areas of concern.  Benning may have his flaws, but the one thing we are seeing is that at least we aren't bereft of talent in the system.  

4 - So, I for one, am content with not acquiring more players, and starting to use the ones we have.  Develop them, hone their strengths, shore up their weaknesses with either training, or playing with the right types of players to fill out a line with synergy, and hopefully get enough together that we can use that system as a strength to not only keep contracts reasonable, as we aren't forced to hold on to players because we don't have replacements, but to form actual hockey trades from areas of strength.

I like your post, but I will give my opinion on the highlighted. 

1 - To state that we will have these players coming in next season is presumptuous. We have no idea how these young players will perform or if they are NHL ready. If it happens great, but not every prospect is going to step into the league the way Petey and Huggy did. 

2- See answer for 1 above. The exception would be Juolevi, who many expect to be a full time regular next year (whenever that happens).

3 - This is why JB signed those 'Role Players' to help school and develop the youth in our line up. They are solid bottom six players that take a lot of the hard line matchups. They are also there for stability and defensive strength in the line-up. That is why many of them are available at the TDL once OTHER teams are done with them. We are not at that stage yet.

4 - Catch 22, I agree with you, but this is something teams do at the beginning of a rebuild. Try the youth, see what you got. Van is nearing the end of the rebuild, a time to play proven players and to consistently win. Not a time to give full time roles to unproven rookies (similar to what we did 5 years ago with Virt and McCann when we were in rebuild despite what the management was saying).

Once again, not panning your ideas, just giving my opinion. Thanks for reading. 

Cheers,

Capt. K.

• Cheers 1

On 10/16/2020 at 6:59 PM, John_Guest said:

I'm not a fan of TSN as a rule but Craig Button on TSN has convinced me there's potential in Brogan Rafferty and he's "ready to contribute" this year.

With credentials like this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Button

I will have to agree.

On 10/27/2020 at 5:04 PM, CaptKirk888 said:

I like your post, but I will give my opinion on the highlighted. 

1 - To state that we will have these players coming in next season is presumptuous. We have no idea how these young players will perform or if they are NHL ready. If it happens great, but not every prospect is going to step into the league the way Petey and Huggy did. 

2- See answer for 1 above. The exception would be Juolevi, who many expect to be a full time regular next year (whenever that happens).

3 - This is why JB signed those 'Role Players' to help school and develop the youth in our line up. They are solid bottom six players that take a lot of the hard line matchups. They are also there for stability and defensive strength in the line-up. That is why many of them are available at the TDL once OTHER teams are done with them. We are not at that stage yet.

4 - Catch 22, I agree with you, but this is something teams do at the beginning of a rebuild. Try the youth, see what you got. Van is nearing the end of the rebuild, a time to play proven players and to consistently win. Not a time to give full time roles to unproven rookies (similar to what we did 5 years ago with Virt and McCann when we were in rebuild despite what the management was saying).

Once again, not panning your ideas, just giving my opinion. Thanks for reading. 

Cheers,

Capt. K.

I understand where you're coming from, and in some ways I agree.  But I think maybe we are looking at the team from slightly different angles.  I still see us as 'building' but not necessarily rebuilding.  We have a lot of role players, and quality youth that have gained valuable experience.  Instead of trying to figure out the framework of a team from a rebuild, we have a team that has some distinct quality, and what we're looking for are some of our youth to step into open roles.  Some of that is because of actual roster need because we are deficient in some roster spots because that's where we are as an organization building.  Now, would we be in that crunch without some of those 'role' players on contracts that overmatch their contributions...probably not?  We'd address some of that by upgrading via UFA.  BUT!!!  The better teams build thru their draft and player development pipeline, not thru UFA.  But even with that, they still do function to insulate and mentor other players, and into that role, I thrust Hoglander, Podkholzin, Juolevi and Rathbone in particular.  Tho the addition of Hawyrluk is interesting, as he kind of performs the role of Leivo ....potentially.  But if you look at the way the team is built, most likely, we have an opening on left wing, and an opening on LD, with the opportunity for youth to compete for roster spots against vets.    We will probably not be as good as last year, in some respects, but I do believe what we have is the team that is going to build forward into the team we hopefully will see as a contender in 2-3 years time.

• Cheers 1