The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does LE retire if buried in minors?

Rate this topic

grandmaster

13 minutes ago, RonMexico said:

I don't think you can just outright him to the minors.

Sure can, he only had an NMC for the first two years of his contract.

I imagine the reason Benning doesn't do this is because it doesn't save much on the cap and it's not good for management/player relations.

e/ They'd probably give him the option to just sit at home and collect the money instead and hope he retires out of guilt or something lol (which is doubtful).

Edited by kanucks25

There's no right message in a situation like this.  Send him down and you're being punitive, keep him up and it's only to justify the sunk cost.  In the end, it has to be about who gives you the best overall lineup.  On those grounds, he could easily fail to make the 23 man roster.  As for sending him down to force his retirement, I understand and support the sentiment.  Question is whether it will work.  Hard to know the answer.  But if there's no AHL and he's just being paid to stay at home, my guess is he'll accept that and keep collecting his paycheck.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

I believe burying him in the minors brings the league minimum in cap relief, and then that spot must be filled on the roster.

And, burying NHL-capable players in the minors, just when you feel like you are done with them, is hardly a way to attract other talent to come play on your team as well.

I’m quite sure other players looking to land here are not going to look at it that way. It’s no secret that LE is not a good player anymore and that he has been given more than his fair share of opportunities. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

There's no right message in a situation like this.  Send him down and you're being punitive, keep him up and it's only to justify the sunk cost.  In the end, it has to be about who gives you the best overall lineup.  On those grounds, he could easily fail to make the 23 man roster.  As for sending him down to force his retirement, I understand and support the sentiment.  Question is whether it will work.  Hard to know the answer.  But if there's no AHL and he's just being paid to stay at home, my guess is he'll accept that and keep collecting his paycheck.

I suppose your right about there being an AHL. He would be foolish to retire when he could be sitting at home and do nothing. However, is there a mechanism that we could force him to play like in the KHL? Lol. Send him to Siberia!

• Haha 1

I expect Eriksson to show up at camp.  If Eriksson earns a spot, then great, but at this stage I don't think that's a reasonable expectation.  I think it would be along the lines of what the Canucks did with Sam Gagner, e.g. management loaning him to the Texas Stars or something else that would be friendly for his family.  Something has to give if Eriksson cannot earn a spot and really, outside of being a safe player to deploy, Eriksson has been a shadow of what he was even the year before signing with the Canucks.

Edited by EternalCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

33 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

I believe burying him in the minors brings the league minimum in cap relief, and then that spot must be filled on the roster.

And, burying NHL-capable players in the minors, just when you feel like you are done with them, is hardly a way to attract other talent to come play on your team as well.

I think you're probably overstating the impact that comes from burying NHL guys in the minors.  Many have done it (Schneider, Ladd, Beleskey to name a few that I can think of) and it's reasonable when the player's play simply isn't up to par given his contract.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Maniwaki Canuck said:

Good perspective MC, I suppose at the beginning of his tenure here he was given a long leash since he did have a good body of work in the league up to that point.  Also, we as an organization did not have the depth to simply sit him out and replace him with another player without being a slightly worse team on the ice.  Now, I would hope that JB has built some depth in the organization that LE needs to bring 100% every night and every shift or there are other players ready, willing, and able to take his roster spot.  Two unpredictable external factors have exacerbated the LE situation imo and those are the Lu recapture BS penalty and the COVID flat cap - they both make the LE situation worse in the short-term. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

I suppose your right about there being an AHL. He would be foolish to retire when he could be sitting at home and do nothing. However, is there a mechanism that we could force him to play like in the KHL? Lol. Send him to Siberia!

I suggested that myself in another discussion somewhere on this board!  The comeback was that even an ECHL assignment isn't allowed under the collective agreement.  Too bad because he deserves to suffer for that money.

• Cheers 2