The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does LE retire if buried in minors?

Rate this topic

grandmaster

11 hours ago, xereau said:

Surprised he hasn't announced his retirement yet, to be honest.

If he had any pride left he would. I would be embarassed both in that locker room and on the ice. He is lucky there is no fans because I think he would get Booed.

Edited by EdgarM
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, EdgarM said:

If he had any pride left he would. I would be embarassed both in that locker room and on the ice. He is lucky there is no fans because I think he would get Booed.

He does have 5 million reasons to stay. I would like to think he'd be more like Naslund and say I'm not playing to the level I expect of myself so I'm retiring. Then return to Sweden to play a few more years. I said earlier this season I hoped he'd have that pride in performance to retire in the offseason. But when it comes to a large sum of money (and $5m is nothing to sneeze at) that's a rare breed of player. Part of me would like to see him sent to the minors while the other side says I'd rather him sitting in the press box than a prospect that could be playing big minutes in the AHL improving his game. I'm still holding out hope he can be moved to Ottawa who has cap space to burn and could actually help their PK without being a financial burden. Even if it meant retaining $1m per. Alas, that's likely a pipedream.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

He does have 5 million reasons to stay. I would like to think he'd be more like Naslund and say I'm not playing to the level I expect of myself so I'm retiring. Then return to Sweden to play a few more years. I said earlier this season I hoped he'd have that pride in performance to retire in the offseason. But when it comes to a large sum of money (and $5m is nothing to sneeze at) that's a rare breed of player. Part of me would like to see him sent to the minors while the other side says I'd rather him sitting in the press box than a prospect that could be playing big minutes in the AHL improving his game. I'm still holding out hope he can be moved to Ottawa who has cap space to burn and could actually help their PK without being a financial burden. Even if it meant retaining $1m per. Alas, that's likely a pipedream.

I agree 5 Million is a big reason to stay but I would think in the ,very least, he is working with the team to have something worked out where he is paid the majority of his money but he doesn't play here. 

Develope an itch or something so he can go away gracefully. I really don't care how he does it but he is a huge detriment to what this team is trying to achieve and both parties have to see that. 

I see the situation getting worse the longer he remains on this team. I sure hope something is in the works for everyones sake.

On 10/18/2020 at 3:49 PM, EdgarM said:

This is so true, we should have learned from hanging on to the Sedins too long once they were done. This guy is holding this team back, big time. I would be p!$$&d if this guy was on my team making the money he does playing the way he does. He is a cancer plain and simple, get him far far away from this team please, at what ever cost its going to take. 

Post of the Month !    Hopefully someone in Canucks land figures out a way to have LE depart !

I can tell you that for the 2.5 million he is owed I would ride a bus, pretend I can play hockey and wear a skirt while I did it. Pride is one thing and millions of dollars are another. This isn’t Roberto Luongo we are talking about. If Louie cares what the fans think, how his contract looks or if the team wins it would have showed in his play by now. The game has passed him by and he wants a paycheque. The AHL would just be the same money at a slower and easier pace if there even is an AHL this year. He isn’t going anywhere despite all our wishing. 

39 minutes ago, Amebushi said:

I can tell you that for the 2.5 million he is owed I would ride a bus, pretend I can play hockey and wear a skirt while I did it. Pride is one thing and millions of dollars are another. This isn’t Roberto Luongo we are talking about. If Louie cares what the fans think, how his contract looks or if the team wins it would have showed in his play by now. The game has passed him by and he wants a paycheque. The AHL would just be the same money at a slower and easier pace if there even is an AHL this year. He isn’t going anywhere despite all our wishing. 

"Paying" him and "Playing" him are two different things. Minimize the damage and keep him away from this growing, developing team who are learning to be Champions, he is no part of that. There is no more room for "Softies" on this team anymore.

• Cheers 1

On 10/19/2020 at 3:57 PM, EdgarM said:

I agree 5 Million is a big reason to stay but I would think in the ,very least, he is working with the team to have something worked out where he is paid the majority of his money but he doesn't play here. 

Develope an itch or something so he can go away gracefully. I really don't care how he does it but he is a huge detriment to what this team is trying to achieve and both parties have to see that. 

I see the situation getting worse the longer he remains on this team. I sure hope something is in the works for everyones sake.

I think everyone forgets it is not $5 Million, but with escrow it is approx.......$2.5 Million, which a major difference, and worth considering retiring over............

So, again 2.5 Million in Salary

and, I think the Canucks could be creative with Loui and do a Luongo, which is only fair

say, he could scout for the Canucks in Europe while playing over there.............so, he probably gets $500,000 per season X2 for playing, and we put him on a extended scouting contract, with bonus's for any players that we sign/draft that he recommends. So the Scouting is 10 years X a esculating salary starting at $100,000

It pretty much puts Eriksson at the same place in terms of money, and he leaves with dignity...............a win / win and he gets to play closer to home, and be with his family more.....again a win / win

This is what "Should" happen! "IF" Bening does not want to create any hard feelings and wants to give an image of warm and fuzzy!

I will also add that Benning saves money for Aqualini this way............Aqua man would appreciate that, I believe.

I think Loui would like this also as an option.

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Like 1

On 10/19/2020 at 4:30 PM, erkayloomeh said:

I know how to get him to retire!!!!

But it will cost us points in the standings.

Play him 40 minutes a night . 

I love your thinking, you cruel person, you!

But the truth is, he would last about 22 minutes and blow a groin and be on LTIR for the year

Helps but still handcuffs us

I still think Luongo's Uncle Bruno, would be a better option......

You know, take him fishing...wink, wink!

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

"Paying" him and "Playing" him are two different things. Minimize the damage and keep him away from this growing, developing team who are learning to be Champions, he is no part of that. There is no more room for "Softies" on this team anymore.

No argument here...I don’t want him on this team or around our prospects however possible. I just very much doubt he will retire and walk away from that contract. 

unless the team is planning on carrying the minimum 20 players on their active roster.. Eriksson is here to stay even if it's in the press box lol. Ferland will probably try to play the season and gets knocked out again so we really can't use his cap space.. we prolly burned every bridge with Baertishi so i doubt he'll ever play on the canucks ever again.. let's just say we pencil in Maceawen.. that'll leave Eriksson as the 13th forward to sit in the pressbox.. unless you guys think sitting a Lind or Hoglander in the pressbox every night instead of playing 15-20mins in the minor is good for their development.. Eriksson is here to stay lol.. 

2 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

LE legacy here will rival mark Messier popularity 

I think Loui will be largely forgotten once his cap hit isn't actually hurting the team anymore.  Messier hollowed out the locker room and the culture like a termite.  I've never seen anything like it before or since in professional sports.

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

I think everyone forgets it is not $5 Million, but with escrow it is approx.......$2.5 Million, which a major difference, and worth considering retiring over............

So, again 2.5 Million in Salary

and, I think the Canucks could be creative with Loui and do a Luongo, which is only fair

say, he could scout for the Canucks in Europe while playing over there.............so, he probably gets $500,000 per season X2 for playing, and we put him on a extended scouting contract, with bonus's for any players that we sign/draft that he recommends. So the Scouting is 10 years X a esculating salary starting at $100,000

It pretty much puts Eriksson at the same place in terms of money, and he leaves with dignity...............a win / win and he gets to play closer to home, and be with his family more.....again a win / win

This is what "Should" happen! "IF" Bening does not want to create any hard feelings and wants to give an image of warm and fuzzy!

I will also add that Benning saves money for Aqualini this way............Aqua man would appreciate that, I believe.

I think Loui would like this also as an option.

From the CBA's non-exhaustive list of circumvention examples that could lead to fines counting against the salary cap and even the loss of draft picks.  Not certain it's worth the risk as it could serve as deterrent to all other teams - Vancouver not the only team with unwanted contracts.  Just see how severely Bettman punished Arizona for the combine testing violation while still recognising that the team was not aware of the situation.  

(e) A Club and a Player, during the Player's active career, agree that upon the Player's retirement, he will receive a sum of money for services to be provided to the Club after retirement.

(f) A Club or Club Actor pays a Player or Player Actor for a "no-show" job, or for a job in which the payment to the Player or Player Actor clearly exceeds the fair market value of the services rendered.

8 hours ago, mll said:

From the CBA's non-exhaustive list of circumvention examples that could lead to fines counting against the salary cap and even the loss of draft picks.  Not certain it's worth the risk as it could serve as deterrent to all other teams - Vancouver not the only team with unwanted contracts.  Just see how severely Bettman punished Arizona for the combine testing violation while still recognising that the team was not aware of the situation.  

(e) A Club and a Player, during the Player's active career, agree that upon the Player's retirement, he will receive a sum of money for services to be provided to the Club after retirement.

(f) A Club or Club Actor pays a Player or Player Actor for a "no-show" job, or for a job in which the payment to the Player or Player Actor clearly exceeds the fair market value of the services rendered.

funny how Luongo didn't fit this category. Its part of the problem with the NHL they continually make exceptions to their own rules. 

Loui will consider retiring July 2nd, 2021.  

My reasoning:

He will "ride the bus" for the shortened 2020-2021 season.

He will collect his bonus on July 1, 2021.  

He will forfeit the salary for the full length 2021-2022 season  ($2m?)

This way, he gets $3m for 3 months work.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Mike27 said:

Loui will consider retiring July 2nd, 2021.  

My reasoning:

He will "ride the bus" for the shortened 2020-2021 season.

He will collect his bonus on July 1, 2021.  

He will forfeit the salary for the full length 2021-2022 season  ($2m?)

This way, he gets $3m for 3 months work.

Yip. My thoughts exactly. It's a possible shortened season and there may not even be an AHL season this year. He knows this and I'm hoping he collects his 3 million next year and goes away.