The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does LE retire if buried in minors?

Rate this topic

grandmaster

1 hour ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

We are nearly at half a decade of lamenting this signing now. 

At least we are starting to slightly see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Worst signing in Canucks history? Top 3? Top 5?

What do y'all think?

Depends on how you want to look at it.

It didn't look like a great contract at the time because of Loui's age, but I don't think many saw him falling off nearly as hard as he did in his first season. And he hasn't really been much better since. 

It wasn't a great signing, the dollars probably weren't far off given how he'd produced in Boston, but it was definitely too long. But it looks worse in retrospect than it did when it was signed. That being said, it's easy to point out how something's gone wrong when looking at the past. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Depends on how you want to look at it.

It didn't look like a great contract at the time because of Loui's age, but I don't think many saw him falling off nearly as hard as he did in his first season. And he hasn't really been much better since. 

It wasn't a great signing, the dollars probably weren't far off given how he'd produced in Boston, but it was definitely too long. But it looks worse in retrospect than it did when it was signed. That being said, it's easy to point out how something's gone wrong when looking at the past. 

You declare that Benning with the coaches available didn't know what they did back then.

One thin we have to learn in Europe is that it's harder to win Stanley Cup than WC because of the small rink.

Player get less time with the ouck etc. 

This is something Benning should know. 

You don't sign players based on WC when they are to play on NA. 

Then you have to look carefully how the player you want plaed when most succesful.

Loui hasn't got the oppurtunity to play here as he did before.

And who was so dumb signing him up the ? 

So who to blame? Not Loui how bad you guys want.. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 3

12 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

You declare that Benning with the coaches available didn't know what they did back then.

One thin we have to learn in Europe is that it's harder to win Stanley Cup than WC because of the small rink.

Player get less time with the ouck etc. 

This is something Benning should know. 

You don't sign players based on WC when they are to play on NA. 

Then you have to look carefully how the player you want plaed when most succesful.

Loui hasn't got the oppurtunity to play here as he did before.

And who was so dumb signing him up the ? 

So who to blame? Not Loui how bad you guys want.. 

The hell are you going on about? I never once mentioned the WC. If you think they based his value more on a brief championship than his three seasons in Boston and history of being productive in Dallas you're off your rocker. You really don't think management hadn't done their homework before giving him 36 million dollars? 

I said Loui's contract was probably pretty close regarding dollar value based on his production in Boston, but that his contract was probably a bit too long. 

Louis had plenty of opportunities with our top players. He's regularly played alongside Bo, he got plenty of looks with the twins. Coaching and management have done their best to try and squeeze production out of him and haven't gotten results from him. At some point that's on the player.

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

Loui has been given every opportunity to play all through the line up. he's played with Petey to start, Bo, 3rd line and the 4th line.

He's a decent defensive forward and not bad on the PK, but as every year passes he has a harder time keeping up with the speed of the game in all areas.

its not his fault he signed a 6x6 contract, but he doesn't deserve special treatment anymore. 

If his play doesn't deserve 13th forward , then off to Utica/ Canada AHL bubble wherever it may be.

Right now our bottom 7 would be

Sutts, Gauds, Rooster

Mac- motte- Beagle

Eriksson, 

this is assuming Jake stays and plays a top 6 role.

if Ferland is healthy or he is outplayed by LInd, Baer, hoglander or a surprise candidate he needs to be ridin the bus outa here!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

The hell are you going on about? I never once mentioned the WC. If you think they based his value more on a brief championship than his three seasons in Boston and history of being productive in Dallas you're off your rocker. You really don't think management hadn't done their homework before giving him 36 million dollars? 

I said Loui's contract was probably pretty close regarding dollar value based on his production in Boston, but that his contract was probably a bit too long. 

Louis had plenty of opportunities with our top players. He's regularly played alongside Bo, he got plenty of looks with the twins. Coaching and management have done their best to try and squeeze production out of him and haven't gotten results from him. At some point that's on the player.

I've seen posts from fans here talking about the difference in how Loui played before and how he was used here. That is on the coaches, not Loui. 

If it means Benning didn't know what he did back then, ok. It still isn't Louis fault. 

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, nuck-lifer said:

Loui has been given every opportunity to play all through the line up. he's played with Petey to start, Bo, 3rd line and the 4th line.

He's a decent defensive forward and not bad on the PK, but as every year passes he has a harder time keeping up with the speed of the game in all areas.

its not his fault he signed a 6x6 contract, but he doesn't deserve special treatment anymore. 

If his play doesn't deserve 13th forward , then off to Utica/ Canada AHL bubble wherever it may be.

Right now our bottom 7 would be

Sutts, Gauds, Rooster

Mac- motte- Beagle

Eriksson, 

this is assuming Jake stays and plays a top 6 role.

if Ferland is healthy or he is outplayed by LInd, Baer, hoglander or a surprise candidate he needs to be ridin the bus outa here!

Mac isn't close unless you want him to grow... 

• Wat 4

2 hours ago, RonMexico said:

I should have added, can't outright them to the minors without a cost to the team. If it were that easy, every team would escape their poor contracts that way. So yes while it's an option, it's not very beneficial to the team.

every team waives players to minors 

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

I've seen posts from fans here talking about the difference in how Loui played before and how he was used here. That is on the coaches, not Loui. 

If it means Benning didn't know what he did back then, ok. It still isn't Louis fault. 

That's cool, what the hell does what other fans have said have to do with the post I just made? I wasn't the one talking about those things so why bring up hearsay in reference to my post? If you wanna spend time digging into his usage before he got here and after, go ahead, but I made no reference to such a thing. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

Just now, grandmaster said:

Look, we get you have some strange love affair for LE but to pin his lack of productivity on the coach is an absolute joke. He was given his fair share of opportunities over the years. Don’t be so blind. 

If you weren’t so attached to LE, you would have noticed his effort level and skills are no where near his contract, not even close. If he was brought in at 2M on a 3rd line checking role then we wouldn’t be having this discussion. LE never showed he was more than that. 

I don't give a damn about Loui. 

I bother about $&!#ty fans.. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

That's cool, what the hell does what other fans have said have to do with the post I just made? If I wasn't the one talking about those things so why bring up hearsay in reference to my post? If you wanna spend time digging into his usage before he got here and after, go ahead, but I made no reference to such a thing. 

Because this guy is nothing but a $hit disturber who gets kicks out of trolling. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's cool, what the hell does what other fans have said have to do with the post I just made? I wasn't the one talking about those things so why bring up hearsay in reference to my post? If you wanna spend time digging into his usage before he got here and after, go ahead, but I made no reference to such a thing. 

That's awfully generous to LE.  Megna was making league minimum and actually trying, but it was still a great day when we got rid of that plug because he was useless.  LE isn't a better player than Megna and whines about the coach despite repeatedly being given unearned to top six minutes.

I wouldn't take this lazy piece of garbage at league minimum.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

Loui will wait out this year and see where he ends up. We don't know how AHL level players will be handled yet, maybe there's no season or maybe its done as some kind of practice roster? who knows.  

If he doesn't actually have to report to upstate NY he'll wait for his next 1 mil bonus and then decide if his final 3 mil is worth it or not. Maybe he terminates then since he'll have to actually report to Utica? 

I had hoped he would have decided to terminate now and try to pick up a job somewhere but given how many better players are out there with no contracts thats not likely. Same thing probably happens next year unfortunately. 

3 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Sorry, but no... Mac in a few years maybe and players like Höglander and Podz... they have to know how to position them also. Not just huff and puff. 

LE's positioning is so strong he doesn't even break a sweat during the game.  I'd rather give the spot to a player willing to at least try to play like they belong in the NHL.  The fastest LE moves is when someone tells him there's cake in the dressing room.

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

4 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Sorry, but no... Mac in a few years maybe and players like Höglander and Podz... they have to know how to position them also. Not just huff and puff. 

Mac brings physical play Loui can't. Loui has played his last game in a Canucks jersey, I'm sure of that. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Nah, Benning ahould pay Loui from his own pocket and deal with it.

The $&!# Loui gets from fans is simply ridiculus.

Why don't you talk $&!# of the only one with the power to give Loui such a contract? 

Have you checked if there are bonuses paid of to GMs that give certain managers,with certain players getting  great contracts?  If not try to get a cloaer look.

Benning is second generation scout. With those contacts he got a lot of possibilities to make some extra money. It might explain all those hefty contracts while the Canucks should've monitoring the future. 

Loui?....is that really YOU????????

Very much aware of what managers are responsible for having been dealing with employees for over 25 years.

There are expectations on both sides.

I've been a strong supporter of giving Loui benefit of doubt, up until he started putting his lack of performance, back on someone other than himself. He's had 2 coaches with Vancouver and has been moved to all places in the lineup, tying to jump start him. He had significant playing time with the Sedins, who he had shown past chemistry with and who could make a fire hydrant look like a scoring machine.

Benning offered Loui a contract in good faith, based on his production levels in Boston.

Granted he had some injury issues when he first got here, but at a certain point, you have to look in the mirror and take responsibility for your performance and own it and not try and shuffle it off on your coach.

Managers extend contracts with certain expectations of performance. Players ask to be paid at a certain level and if they can't live up to the contract and try and put it on someone other than themselves, I lose all respect for them, and they become fair game to be called out based on that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1