The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bill Foley Hints at Canadian Division Next Season

Rate this topic

Lionized27

3 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I'm actually excited for that idea. It will be great for the Canadian rivalries. The problem for the Canucks is that it will be the best division, in all likelihood.

I think it will be great for hockey in general.

As you mention, it would be a very competitive division which should help television ratings.

Us Canadian fans would love it, for sure.

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I hate Bill Foley and his stupid face.

That being said, not sure I'm keen on it. It'd cut down the number of Canadian teams who could make the playoffs.

Right?

Good luck with playoff gate revenue when the only consistent revenue generators are relegated to 1/2 teams in the playoffs a year.  Imagine trying to exist off of Arizona Florida or Jerseys gate revenue in the playoffs...

I hate this idea.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I LOATHE this idea.  It will mean no matter what, only 1 possibly 2 Canadian teams a season will make the post season if another realignment happens.

Screw that.  Western canada and eastern canada sure.  But a Canaidan division?  Hell no.

Toronto hasn't even been Canadian since "the incident"

Two Canadian Divisions would make even more sense. I also believe this will be temporary (only last for one maybe two seasons).

1 minute ago, Lionized27 said:

Two Canadian Divisions would make even more sense. I also believe this will be temporary (only last for one maybe two seasons).

THAT is more like it.  But imagine only seeing Edmonton.  Toronto.  Calgary in the playoffs every year

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Right?

Good luck with playoff gate revenue when the only consistent revenue generators are relegated to 1/2 teams in the playoffs a year.  Imagine trying to exist off of Arizona Florida or Jerseys gate revenue in the playoffs...

I hate this idea.

Calgary, Vancouver, Edmonton 

Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa

These three primarily play each other but also fly out to the other coast for road trips 

Winnipeg plays more of both teams given that it's the most central of the seven 

Top team from each division makes it plus whichever team has the highest point total of the remainder? 

Or just even up the games against each team and make road trips longer while maintaining the above?

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

THAT is more like it.  But imagine only seeing Edmonton.  Toronto.  Calgary in the playoffs every year

It could just as easily be Montreal, Winnipeg and Vancouver.

However watching Toronto get bounced in the first round repeatedly would be entertaining.

I really do believe the level of competition would be excellent and the rivalries built/extended would become very heated.

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I LOATHE this idea.  It will mean no matter what, only 1 possibly 2 Canadian teams a season will make the post season if another realignment happens.

Screw that.  Western canada and eastern canada sure.  But a Canaidan division?  Hell no.

Toronto hasn't even been Canadian since "the incident"

Depends how it works.  It's a Canadian division being discussed, so as long as a US division is put in the same conference for the sake of playoffs, wouldn't that mean at least 3, potentially 5 Canadian teams make the cut?

The part I don't like about it is the potential for 3 time zones of travel for any rounds in the playoffs, as opposed to just the finals.  That assumes they don't go the bubble route again.  If we have to play 45-50 (I doubt 82 is possible, Gary!) games against the same 6 teams, that might get boring, too.

Canadian division will be fun to watch. I hope this happens.

Perhaps they will let limited number of fans into the stadium? If so, the ticket prices will be crazy high with so many attractions like McDavid, TML with lot of people from Ontario living in Vancouver, the Habs, etc. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Depends how it works.  It's a Canadian division being discussed, so as long as a US division is put in the same conference for the sake of playoffs, wouldn't that mean at least 3, potentially 5 Canadian teams make the cut?

The part I don't like about it is the potential for 3 time zones of travel for any rounds in the playoffs, as opposed to just the finals.  That assumes they don't go the bubble route again.  If we have to play 45-50 (I doubt 82 is possible, Gary!) games against the same 6 teams, that might get boring, too.

That's true. 

I think there should be some interdivisional games to make it more interesting.

Just now, khay said:

That's true. 

I think there should be some interdivisional games to make it more interesting.

Agreed... but if the quarantine isn't lifted, it's moot.

Just open the damn borders already!!! B) I've been needing to get back up there for over 5 months now.

• Wat 2

Just now, DeNiro said:

Wait so people are assuming we’d only play the other 6 Canadian teams?

Im pretty sure it would just mean we play more games in Canada not all of them no?

I would assume this. We might play half the season against the other six teams and the other half in long extended road trips.