The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bill Foley Hints at Canadian Division Next Season

Rate this topic

Lionized27

2 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I would assume this. We might play half the season against the other six teams and the other half in long extended road trips.

Mostly to save on travel costs if they’re playing in empty arenas.

I don’t see how you can only play 6 other teams 7 or 8 times each and call it a legitimate season.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Wait so people are assuming we’d only play the other 6 Canadian teams?

Im pretty sure it would just mean we play more games in Canada not all of them no?

I wonder what the logistics of US road trips would look like, they'd have to have that $&!# on lock 

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

While I would like an "all canadian division"....think of the additional travel.

Well I think you’d probably fly out to Toronto play them twice, and then Montreal twice, and then Ottawa twice and come home.

Then they fly out here and do the same thing with us, Edmonton, and Calgary.

It would actually be much less travel.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Mostly to save on travel costs if they’re playing in empty arenas.

I don’t see how you can only play 6 other teams 7 or 8 times each and call it a legitimate season.

Yeah. Crazy to imagine what the original six days were like, especially when they played 70 games a season. If my math is right, that means 14 games against each opponent.

• Upvote 1

Just now, NewbieCanuckFan said:

While I would like an "all canadian division"....think of the additional travel.

I'm going to guess there will be two bubbles (Edmonton/Toronto) and teams would probably play a "series" vs. the other Divisions teams to make up at least a 48 game schedule. Vancouver flies to Toronto and plays 3/4/5/6(?) games against each of Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa then flies back to Edmonton. Repeat with other Western teams. Once those trips are done the Eastern teams make their trips.

Just spitballing here.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I assume this is only a temporary thing for 1 season due to covid. Not a permanent thing. They are doing it because crossing borders will be a hassle, and so having teams play each other in their divisons may be the only way to go. I could see them doing a division only season. Basically it would be a shortened 42 game season (starting in january] where you play each team in your division 6 times .... 3 home and 3 away. Might be boring but covid has changed how things work. I personally think it would be awesome to see the Canucks play the leafs and habs 3 times at Rogers Arena.

Edited by DonaldBrashear

12 minutes ago, DonaldBrashear said:

I assume this is only a temporary thing for 1 season due to covid. Not a permanent thing. They are doing it because crossing borders will be a hassle, and so having teams play each other in their divisons may be the only way to go. I could see them doing a division only season. Basically it would be a shortened 42 game season (starting in january] where you play each team in your division 6 times .... 3 home and 3 away. Might be boring but covid has changed how things work. I personally think it would be awesome to see the Canucks play the leafs and habs 3 times at Rogers Arena.

Agreed, except I could see it being a 48 game season.  For the Canadian teams that would mean 8 games against each other Canadian team.  In the U.S. it would mean either 6 or 7 games against each divisional opponent.

When it comes to the playoffs, I think the first two rounds will only be within your division.  The top four teams from each division will make the playoffs.  Then the four division champs will meet up in a bubble city (likely Vegas) for the semi-finals and the finals.

• Cheers 1

Canadian Division just for the next season or two? Don't know how to feel about this. There's the potential for heated rivalries, but fewer Canadian teams will make the playoffs.
I'd like to be in the same division as Seattle during their inaugural season. 

36 minutes ago, NaveJoseph said:

Canadian Division just for the next season or two? Don't know how to feel about this. There's the potential for heated rivalries, but fewer Canadian teams will make the playoffs.
I'd like to be in the same division as Seattle during their inaugural season. 

I'm not convinced any Canadian team outside of Vancouver and Montreal would make the playoffs next year:

Edmonton still has AHL quality goaltending/ bottom six, plus they just brought in a massive defensive liability.

Calgary still has a top six filled with gutless cowards who play scared.

Winnipeg still has suspect D.

Ottawa is rebuilding and still needs another year or two.

Toronto still has a culture where forwards need a tourist visa to enter their own end.

At least one of those teams gets gifted a playoff berth with this format.

Edited by King Heffy

3 hours ago, Kragar said:

Agreed... but if the quarantine isn't lifted, it's moot.

Just open the damn borders already!!! B) I've been needing to get back up there for over 5 months now.

If you are Canadian, you can enter anytime you want. Just have to do this 2-week quarantine.

3 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I LOATHE this idea.  It will mean no matter what, only 1 possibly 2 Canadian teams a season will make the post season if another realignment happens.

Screw that.  Western canada and eastern canada sure.  But a Canaidan division?  Hell no.

Toronto hasn't even been Canadian since "the incident"

Well if they end up doing it maybe top 16 in the league get in? The playoffs will be in a bubble anyway so East/West travel isn't an issue. Or Top 2 in each division then the rest of the playoff spots are rewarded league wide.